Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England Squad  (Read 18617 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 11:48:19 »

Chris Smalling is miles ahead of our other CB options. Cahill should get the nod alongside him, particularly given he's left-sided. 

I think a lot depends on the fitness of Henderson - presuming Roy hasn't completely lost it and starts with Wilshere in there instead.

Kane up front has the potential to be the break-out star of the whole thing, but it's best just to assume we'll draw two of the three group games, win the third and get knocked out in the last 16 after an insipid display. Anything more will be grand.

I don't disagree on Smalling, but you watch him marking in the box and he gets away with murder, I just fear with a little more stringent refereeing he could be a liability!

Its where do you accommodate Rooney which is the issue, I would be amazed if he doesn't start (he really shouldn't) there is a rumour doing the rounds up here that he asked Van Gaal to play in midfield for the end of the season as he thinks that's where he has more chance of getting a game for England - I don't believe it but who knows, Roy has his favourites!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 11:55:22 »

I don't disagree on Smalling, but you watch him marking in the box and he gets away with murder, I just fear with a little more stringent refereeing he could be a liability!

Its where do you accommodate Rooney which is the issue, I would be amazed if he doesn't start (he really shouldn't) there is a rumour doing the rounds up here that he asked Van Gaal to play in midfield for the end of the season as he thinks that's where he has more chance of getting a game for England - I don't believe it but who knows, Roy has his favourites!

You're right, he shouldn't. And that's why England will never do fuck all. Picking players based on their name and past reputation. The only place he should be accommodated is the bench. As I alluded to in my previous post, it's an age old problem, going back as long as I can remember (which is quite a long time tbf)...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 12:03:46 »

You're right, he shouldn't. And that's why England will never do fuck all. Picking players based on their name and past reputation. The only place he should be accommodated is the bench. As I alluded to in my previous post, it's an age old problem, going back as long as I can remember (which is quite a long time tbf)...

Some of us have yet to forgive Sir Alf, for playing Geoff Hurst over the fit again Jimmy Greaves in 66
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #18 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 12:09:59 »

Don't agree with all of that squad but by and large it looks decent. Ridiculous wilshere/delph have got in considering the gametime they have had
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 12:13:00 »

Don't agree with all of that squad but by and large it looks decent. Ridiculous wilshere/delph have got in considering the gametime they have had
But...but...but...but....their faces fit...they have to go  Roll Eyes
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #20 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 12:25:17 »

Especially considering Roy has said he didn't pick Walcott (a good thing) due to lack of game time.

Overall I'm happy with the squad, the odd thing I don't agree with that's to be expected

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 12:34:04 »

Defence is frail as fuck. Would have picked both Noble and Carroll also.
Rooney will play which isn't necessarily a good thing. It's all rather meh actually.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #22 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 12:40:41 »

Carroll limped off in yesterday's match which probably had a bearing on the decision
Panda Paws

« Reply #23 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 12:43:24 »

Carroll limped off in yesterday's match which probably had a bearing on the decision

Or it had no bearing, and everyone can see he's a cart horse good for one thing and one thing only. Battering ram strikers do not work at the top level.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 12:45:29 »

Or it had no bearing, and everyone can see he's a cart horse good for one thing and one thing only. Battering ram strikers do not work at the top level.
Jan Koller had a pretty good international career....

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 12:47:22 »

Don't think him going off made a difference. He wouldn't have gone anyway imo.
Inevitably there will be a point where we are chasing a game and need something different. A battering ram of a centre forward is a good option. Nobody better in the premier league at nailing headers in the box. When the ball is fired in there he scores.
Where has tippy tappy football got England anyway ?
Panda Paws

« Reply #26 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 13:14:36 »

Inevitably there will be a point where we are chasing a game and need something different. A battering ram of a centre forward is a good option. Nobody better in the premier league at nailing headers in the box. When the ball is fired in there he scores.

Yeah, but it's not 2003.

If you play Carroll, you have to completely change the way you play football, so you're ripping up any developed strategy, momentum, technical work etc over the past months and years in the run up to a tournament just to play a shithouse who can win a few headers.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 13:29:42 »

Yeah, but it's not 2003.

If you play Carroll, you have to completely change the way you play football, so you're ripping up any developed strategy, momentum, technical work etc over the past months and years in the run up to a tournament just to play a shithouse who can win a few headers.

the 2003 comment is lost on me ?

If it ain't working the changing the way of playing is the whole point. I think you're over complicating it by the way. Look what having a simple game plan did for Leicester. Then compare what having a rigid, refusal to change attitude does for  arsenal.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 13:29:58 »

About as far as Swindon?
Panda Paws

« Reply #29 on: Monday, May 16, 2016, 14:43:34 »

the 2003 comment is lost on me ?

If it ain't working the changing the way of playing is the whole point. I think you're over complicating it by the way. Look what having a simple game plan did for Leicester. Then compare what having a rigid, refusal to change attitude does for  arsenal.

The 2003 comment was response to the Jan Koller comment above. Apologies.

The Leicester comparison is lazy. Nothing wrong with a simple game . Everything wrong with a constantly changing game plan, or no game plan, which taking Carroll after 4 years of international wilderness would suggest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: