Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Getting a dog  (Read 9851 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 14:35:38 »

Actualités

Cas de rage chez un chien dans le département de la Loire

L’Institut Pasteur a confirmé jeudi 21 mai 2015, un cas de rage chez un chien de race « Bull Terrier » détenu Square Louis Huguet,dans la commune de Le Chambon Feugerolle, 42500

Fair do's. I bow to your superior rabid chien knowledge. Although I note your emphasis on this as a French problem does nothing to dispel RF's general accusation of your Francophobia Cheesy
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 14:44:17 »

We got a dog from Battersea. Rescue dogs can be just as hard as puppies because of their nature.
We had a rescue dog that had been battered and shut in a cupboard under the stairs by it's previous owners. Consequently he was terrified of being shut in any where and was constantly trying to escape. Which meant for about the first two months we had him, we couldn't let him off the lead or he'd just fuck off.

Our initial attempts to stop him from getting out of the cat-flap by locking it, led to him being spotted running across our neighbour's garden with the cat flap frame around his waist. And there was the time the missus rang me to say she was stuck in traffic on the bus on the way home so wouldn't be home for ages, so could I get home sooner and start looking for him. "Start looking for him?" "Yes, he's got out again" "Eh? Thought you said you were on the bus?" "Yes, he's just run past us!"

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 14:57:39 »

We intend to train ours well. It won't enter a room first, only after Mrs Donkey or I. It won't bound up to people, either in a park or when they enter the house. I fully intend for it to trained as much as possible. I assume I'm not being native in this regard.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 15:02:17 »

We intend to train ours well. It won't enter a room first, only after Mrs Donkey or I. It won't bound up to people, either in a park or when they enter the house. I fully intend for it to trained as much as possible. I assume I'm not being native in this regard.

Careful though. As Reg has so amply demonstrated, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 15:10:46 »

I assume I'm not being native in this regard.
racist Smiley
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 15:15:35 »

Is it fair for a donkey to own a dog?
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 15:21:39 »

racist Smiley

I hate autocorrect. Stupid aunts.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 15:28:23 »

racist Smiley

Talking of racists, I'm delighted to announce that my petition to the European Court for Human Rights to ban Reg has now attracted a massive 6 (six) signatures.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/658/550/796/stop-reg-smeetons-merciless-racism-against-the-french-nation/

Though I'm not convinced that Donald Baumgartner of Montana or Isabel Araujo of Mexico were entirely sure what they were signing...

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 16:03:10 »

Much easier said than done!  Cheesy

This can depend on the breed and if it's your first dog. You should definitely look at a breed that's a bit more responsive. Some behaviours are easy to train (sit, lie down, paw, bed, stay) but things such as greetings and boundaries can take a lot longer as if you slip even once, so will they. It can be easy to slip too, even a "come here" and patting your lap to encourage him to jump means he'll keep doing it, so when you do address him, go down to his level.

That's what I've found works anyway, it may be different for different people!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 16:08:16 »

Talking of racists, I'm delighted to announce that my petition to the European Court for Human Rights to ban Reg has now attracted a massive 6 (six) signatures.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/658/550/796/stop-reg-smeetons-merciless-racism-against-the-french-nation/

Though I'm not convinced that Donald Baumgartner of Montana or Isabel Araujo of Mexico were entirely sure what they were signing...

Yeah but one of them is yours....Donald probably thinks he's signing up for more racism against French people....I reckon I could talk Elizabeth round.  Joseph Priestley of Bowood or Antoine Lavoisier, discoverer of oxygen? Discuss.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 16:15:23 »

Yeah but one of them is yours....Donald probably thinks he's signing up for more racism against French people....I reckon I could talk Elizabeth round.  Joseph Priestley of Bowood or Antoine Lavoisier, discoverer of oxygen? Discuss.

Neither.

Isaac Asimov called him "hard-luck Scheele" because he made a number of chemical discoveries before others who are generally given the credit. For example, Scheele discovered oxygen (although Joseph Priestley published his findings first)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Wilhelm_Scheele

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 17:46:27 »

Can you all leave Reg alone,  he has managed to avoid blaming Thatcher for rabies, I know its not much but a small start.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 18:03:18 »

Can you all leave Reg alone,  he has managed to avoid blaming Thatcher for rabies, I know its not much but a small start.

Thatcher may have just about been gone by the time the Tories introduced their Dangerous Dogs Act....which is often regarded as being a poor piece of legislation.

However there are laws in place for dog ownership, which many ignore....

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 18:17:36 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 19:19:53 »

Much easier said than done!  Cheesy

This can depend on the breed and if it's your first dog. You should definitely look at a breed that's a bit more responsive. Some behaviours are easy to train (sit, lie down, paw, bed, stay) but things such as greetings and boundaries can take a lot longer as if you slip even once, so will they. It can be easy to slip too, even a "come here" and patting your lap to encourage him to jump means he'll keep doing it, so when you do address him, go down to his level.

That's what I've found works anyway, it may be different for different people!

A very true post. I guess if we aim high and fall a little short, it'll still be good. I want his recall to be excellent however, that's something we must succeed at.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 19:40:01 »

A very true post. I guess if we aim high and fall a little short, it'll still be good. I want his recall to be excellent however, that's something we must succeed at.

That can take a little patience, as even if you nail it indoors it is very easy for a dog to get distracted when he's out and about. For the first 18 months or so I had to clock my dogs attention before he noticed something he could run too! As long as you have patience and keep reinforming their behaviour (cheese and peanut butter work the best on my idiot) then you'll smash it!

In fact I forget you're a teacher, this should be a piece of piss!  Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: