Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Getting a dog  (Read 9925 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2016, 14:49:12 »

Can't stand those Romanian dogs you know me.

Either way Steve it's a great move. Although he was an absolute bastard as a pup (and still has the odd moment) and they can be hard work, it's a fucking great thing owning a dog.

Cheers, pal.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 09:36:20 »

Got two dogs from Battersea.

Trip to the smoke but very good and don't do any of that come to your house for six weeks bollocks as others did when we checked them out.

We got a dog from Battersea. Rescue dogs can be just as hard as puppies because of their nature. The dog we rescued was a stray in London for nobody knows how long. So when we got him he'd open all the cupboards, eat out the bin and on day one he jumped up on my lap and ate a pizza out my hand!

But as time goes by he got trained and learned how to act and he was a delight! Smiley

Definitely recommend it, but as long as it's from somewhere good.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 10:54:25 »

We got ours from Many Tears Animal Rescue. They mostly rehome Irish dogs so they usually have terriers,  greyhounds and collies or, like ours, a mixture of the three.
Their dogs are fostered out all over the country, so you can see how they behave in a home environment rather than in the stress of kennels
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 11:33:28 »

We got ours from Many Tears Animal Rescue. They mostly rehome Irish dogs so they usually have terriers,  greyhounds and collies or, like ours, a mixture of the three.
Their dogs are fostered out all over the country, so you can see how they behave in a home environment rather than in the stress of kennels

So now its the Irish dogs coming over here to replace good old UK dogs, British dogs for British people, we won't get this nonsense when we get out the EU.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 11:58:12 »

So now its the Irish dogs coming over here to replace good old UK dogs, British dogs for British people, we won't get this nonsense when we get out the EU.

I'd have thought given particularly France's problem with La Rage (that's rabies to the uneducated) it would be a generally good idea to keep foreign dogs out.....but unsurprisingly given that governments can't even manage a licensing system these days, that doesn't seem to happen any longer.

The amount of out of control dogs on the loose, is getting beyond a joke. Even SBC, have had to respond to complaints about this at Lydiard.....but it seems that many dog owners just don't get the basic concept that it's incumbent on them to keep control of their cur in public, just like they don't get the health hazard to children from dog shit.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 12:56:06 »

I'd have thought given particularly France's problem with La Rage (that's rabies to the uneducated) it would be a generally good idea to keep foreign dogs out

Quote from: WHO
Several countries in Europe have been designated rabies-free jurisdictions: Austria, United Kingdom, Ireland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Portugal, Italy, Spain, Greece, Malta, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Latvia, Estonia, Czech Republic, and Iceland

So who's rabid now?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 13:04:08 »

The amount of out of control dogs on the loose, is getting beyond a joke. Even SBC, have had to respond to complaints about this at Lydiard.....but it seems that many dog owners just don't get the basic concept that it's incumbent on them to keep control of their cur in public, just like they don't get the health hazard to children from dog shit.

Not a dog lover then, Reg? You seem to be tarring many dog owners with the same broad brush. I'd say the majority are responsible and are considerate about where they let the dog off the lead. As is always the way with these things, the problem minority is not representative of the majority.

I'm aware of the proposals at Lydiard and I actually think it's a good idea. I let my dog off the lead there at the moment, but only in the areas that are proposed as not being part of the restrictions.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 13:49:27 »

I'd have thought given particularly France's problem with La Rage (that's rabies to the uneducated) it would be a generally good idea to keep foreign dogs out.....but unsurprisingly given that governments can't even manage a licensing system these days, that doesn't seem to happen any longer.

How do you define an out of control dog though? I let my dog off the lead when I take him to public parks generally, unless people are having a picnic as he may go and beg for it, but generally he isn't fussed by people and will try and play with the other dogs instead.

I've met plenty of other dog owners like that, who know when their dog won't be a dick. Some people seem to think dogs sniffing them are a nuisance.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 13:54:59 »

So who's rabid now?
Or just 30 years out of date maybe?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 14:00:23 »

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 14:16:07 »

Actualités

Cas de rage chez un chien dans le département de la Loire

L’Institut Pasteur a confirmé jeudi 21 mai 2015, un cas de rage chez un chien de race « Bull Terrier » détenu Square Louis Huguet,dans la commune de Le Chambon Feugerolle, 42500

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 14:24:53 »

How do you define an out of control dog though? I let my dog off the lead when I take him to public parks generally, unless people are having a picnic as he may go and beg for it, but generally he isn't fussed by people and will try and play with the other dogs instead.

I've met plenty of other dog owners like that, who know when their dog won't be a dick. Some people seem to think dogs sniffing them are a nuisance.

Plenty of dogs off leads come bouncing towards people, some people are nervous of dogs and some also might not like a wet nose shoved in their hand (or nuts). The owners might know whether a dog is well behaved or not but the general public won't.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 14:28:04 »

Out of control means the dog is disobedient to its owner, if not on a lead, and even then many still do as they please because of weak owners.

As regards unwanted sniffing etc....dogs drool, as a natural process of digestion, but often because of problems caused in the interbreeding process, they drool excessively, said drool can be full of toxic material. Take it from me it is highly annoying to have to rewash a newly cleaned pair of decent trousers, because some mutt has uninvitedly dropped a load of drool on them, because the owner is lacking in the common courtesy to realise in public places dogs should be under control on leads.

Even worse are ther idiots who ignore signs up in parks saying.....dogs on leads, like in the Town Gardens, because there are loads of kids about in push chairs, who may find being sniffed by a large animal upsetting...and don't get me started on having to shift dog shit from the Croft before commencing a game of cricket....despite the no dogs allowed signs, except for guide dogs.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 14:30:18 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 14:33:03 »

Froggy, I believe there have been around 20 cases of rabies in France in recent years....OK not epidemic, but I'm sure there used to be regulations re dogs coming and going to France.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 14:39:50 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 14:34:17 »

Actualités

Cas de rage chez un chien dans le département de la Loire

L’Institut Pasteur a confirmé jeudi 21 mai 2015, un cas de rage chez un chien de race « Bull Terrier » détenu Square Louis Huguet,dans la commune de Le Chambon Feugerolle, 42500

55000 cases worldwide. 1 in France, a dog brought in illegally from Algeria.
Quote from: gov.uk
Authorities in France have confirmed that France has regained its rabies-free status.
Full details of the case here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rabies-in-france-may-2015

But feel free to select the facts that feed your prejudice.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: