Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stock taking  (Read 4399 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 09:46:09 »

Luke Williams' take on the season....

"I think the lessons we’ve learned are that too much of one thing is no good and not enough is no good.

We had, at one point, 31 players in training and we were abysmal, and there was no togetherness, there was no fight and passion, and there were too many players that felt they were nowhere near the squad and therefore demotivated.

We went from that extreme to the other. I still would rather have had the scenario that we’ve had where we had a small group but everybody fighting for each other and desperate to get in the squad.

I think, had we had not suffered so many injuries at the same time, we would now be looking at a play-off campaign.

So I would rather have had this smaller group that we’ve been working with in recent weeks and months than have 31 players, many of which were not committed and demotivated, and really not giving us what we should expect from professional players.

I think what’s key is keeping some members of the existing squad.

This has been a steep learning curve for a lot of young players in that squad and I think we’ve identified a number of them that have really dealt with that better than you’d expect, and have come through with flying colours.

I think we would be foolish to have invested (such an) amount of time in these players and then see them leave the club so early, so I’ll be trying to stake a claim for keeping a few of the players that have done so well in their first season.

And of course, there will be some that haven’t made the grade and will be moving on.”

So nothing there really which is a surprise....more of the same next season then and hope for better luck with injuries.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 09:56:31 »

All very plausible until you factor in injuries and then we're in a similar situation to this season.

Bristol City got away with a small, talented squad last season. How would they have fared with our level of injuries?

Lot of deadwood to clear out but the back up quality needs upping hugely.

Wait and see who and what type of player comes in.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 10:08:25 »

All very plausible until you factor in injuries and then we're in a similar situation to this season.

Bristol City got away with a small, talented squad last season. How would they have fared with our level of injuries?

Wait and see who and what type of player comes in.

I had a quick look at Burton....they've used 22 players this season and 8 who've played 30 odd or 40 odd games. That's the sort of thing to hope for, roughly 2 players for each position and then your key men, playing a fair chunk of games.  Sounds easy enough, but clearly isn't...
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 10:45:44 »

I think this is the key. Nothing wrong with a 22-25 man squad, but those outside the first eleven need to be up near the same standard. Our backup players simply haven't been. For example, once we lost Ajose and Obika we looked, no, were incapable of scoring.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 10:50:00 »

I think it was Deano that pointed out that our ideal starting XI has been together for 5 games this season. It would be tough for anyone to deal with that many key players out injured, but that doesn't excuse how piss poor we were in some games (especially at the back 5).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 10:52:14 »

I think it was Deano that pointed out that our ideal starting XI has been together for 5 games this season. It would be tough for anyone to deal with that many key players out injured, but that doesn't excuse how piss poor we were in some games (especially at the back 5).

Out of interest what were the outcomes of those games?
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #6 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 10:53:59 »

My main starting point would be to get a good solid centre half and move Thompson back out to wing back. Barry is good enough cover
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #7 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 10:57:36 »

Out of interest what were the outcomes of those games?
It's now 5 league games.Won 3 Lost 1 drew 1
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 11:39:02 »

My main starting point would be to get a good solid centre half and move Thompson back out to wing back. Barry is good enough cover

Very much this. I have my doubts that the first 11 would be capable of reaching the playoffs simply because we are so porous as a unit.

What about last year I hear you say. Well a) I simply don't think the overall attacking threat this years squad can compensate for the defensive inadequacies in the same way, partly because b) w are even worse at the back this year than we were last year.

Oh, and also only having 2 strikers and a punt (Hyton) isn't adequate backup - though that point's be been made more generically.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 11:58:14 »

It's now 5 league games.Won 3 Lost 1 drew 1

Could well win the league if that was X 5 for 46 games.

FWIW, I think the first priority should be sorting a reliable keeper....Belford has another year, but I don't think too many are convinced he should be a regular starter.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #10 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 12:32:02 »

We'll almost certainly need a replacement for Ajose too.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 12:35:41 »

Fly? coarse? spear?
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 12:48:21 »

I think this is the key. Nothing wrong with a 22-25 man squad, but those outside the first eleven need to be up near the same standard. Our backup players simply haven't been. For example, once we lost Ajose and Obika we looked, no, were incapable of scoring.

This.

Also no settled squad until power did his last minute.com squad additions.

Clems Army!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 25, 2016, 12:56:29 »

Could well win the league if that was X 5 for 46 games.

FWIW, I think the first priority should be sorting a reliable keeper....Belford has another year, but I don't think too many are convinced he should be a regular starter.

I agree, but I'd have a competent CB up there as well. If we can get some decent(ish) in players early I'll be relatively happy we can have a good season. I'm counting on the likes of Brophy to continue improving also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: