Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GL5Red versus Flashheart!  (Read 42213 times)
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #210 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 11:52:45 »

If he was capable of either it would be a start... cannot abide the bloke and at best an incredibly lazy 'comedian', just saying something shocking doesn't make it funny!
He is capable of both it just happens to be he doesn't appeal to you(or me tbf)
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 17:34:53 »

I can see why people think that of Boyle and a lot of his stuff does descend into banal shock humour, but he is a very intelligent man and very capable of more than "rape soapy tit wank" style stuff. When he does incorporate some kind of satire or point to his humour I think he can be very funny. If you look at his earlier stuff it becomes clear he's a bit of a parody of himself in his later work - I think that's why he's essentially retired from comedy.

Also, the difference between him and the likes of Manning/Davidson is that they clearly believed a lot of the things they said. I think people should be able to joke about whatever they want, whether it offends me or not, but it's different to make a racist joke and actually be a racist.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 08:13:19 »

I can see why people think that of Boyle and a lot of his stuff does descend into banal shock humour, but he is a very intelligent man and very capable of more than "rape soapy tit wank" style stuff. When he does incorporate some kind of satire or point to his humour I think he can be very funny. If you look at his earlier stuff it becomes clear he's a bit of a parody of himself in his later work - I think that's why he's essentially retired from comedy.

Also, the difference between him and the likes of Manning/Davidson is that they clearly believed a lot of the things they said. I think people should be able to joke about whatever they want, whether it offends me or not, but it's different to make a racist joke and actually be a racist.

As I said earlier each to their own although I have to confess I find the argument that because Boyle apparently doesn't 'believe' what he says and instead just says the things that many find hurtful for commercial and career gain makes its somehow better somewhat perverse, is that not in fact worse as you are just attacking people for your own benefit and thus one would expect that you understand the harm rather than based upon any ingrained prejudice?....

So I assume you are saying that suttonred is more Frankie Boyle than Bernard Manning?
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 15:48:30 »

At the risk of also being burned on the pyre of the righteous, I can confirm something Sutton said earlier.

The term 'Dribble Buses' has been used occasionally by a number of London Reds, myself included, in the past to describe the Supporter Coaches.

No it's not big nor clever, and it probably should stop, but it has nothing to do with disabled kids..

The more I think about this, the so called London Reds or should that be more accurately Home Counties Reds have got off lightly here.

The Dribble Buses thing smacks of some innate sense of superiority as a result of living and or working in the capital.

Spend a lot of time London but thankfully don't live there and am surprised that groups of away support, our own included, lack the confidence to give it the "London's a shit hole...." thing.
Although, suspect that some confidence & pride in the place that they have travelled from would be required in the first place.

Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 16:17:21 »

Well, even though you might be right in the assumption we are supposedly very white collar, you aren't right with the rest. The term was premiered by one of our Reading (not quite London, but almost) members who now lives in Birmingham. I await some geographical based opinions on those towns  now Wink
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 16:27:29 »

As I said earlier each to their own although I have to confess I find the argument that because Boyle apparently doesn't 'believe' what he says and instead just says the things that many find hurtful for commercial and career gain makes its somehow better somewhat perverse, is that not in fact worse as you are just attacking people for your own benefit and thus one would expect that you understand the harm rather than based upon any ingrained prejudice?....

So I assume you are saying that suttonred is more Frankie Boyle than Bernard Manning?

Actually, making people laugh, I would draw a distinction between the two! But then as I said I am of the belief that it's okay to joke about anything, really.

Well, even though you might be right in the assumption we are supposedly very white collar, you aren't right with the rest. The term was premiered by one of our Reading (not quite London, but almost) members who now lives in Birmingham. I await some geographical based opinions on those towns  now Wink

Fuck that, as a semi Londoner myself I'm not having Reading on my turf. You'll be saying Essex is in London next.  No

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 16:33:00 »

I thank the heavens that Essex is as about as far round the M25 that its possible to be from me.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 16:58:39 »

Well, even though you might be right in the assumption we are supposedly very white collar, you aren't right with the rest. The term was premiered by one of our Reading (not quite London, but almost) members who now lives in Birmingham. I await some geographical based opinions on those towns  now Wink

Fully appreciate that people move away from their home towns for many reasons.
Regardless of where they end up, not sure how many manage to retain a "warts and all" respect for place of origin. It's a shame when people don't.
Just a gentle dig at the end of the day.
Nothing against London, Reading or Birmingham, just hum drum towns same as anywhere else.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 17:13:14 »

Actually, making people laugh, I would draw a distinction between the two! But then as I said I am of the belief that it's okay to joke about anything, really.

I didn't realise he did it all for altruistic reasons, no wonder the Guardian and their readers love him so much the mans a bloody saint.....  Wink
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 17:53:30 »

I didn't realise he did it all for altruistic reasons, no wonder the Guardian and their readers love him so much the mans a bloody saint.....  Wink

Haha I had a feeling someone might say that. Of course there are more cynical motives, but most comedians start doing what they do because they enjoy making people laugh. That is still their goal at the end of the day, if no one laughs then they don't further their career or make any money, do they? Anyway, like I said, if you think there should be limits with what's suitable for comedy then I totally get that, it's just not my view. I don't think it's something that can be argued for or against particularly well, especially if you have strong feelings on the subject. Offense is just a surprisingly arbitrary thing when you think about it, and I think unless someone says something with the intent of being hateful, the best thing to do is challenge them (if they need to be educated) or forget about it.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Friday, April 29, 2016, 08:17:36 »

90% of what Comedians say is bollocks. They're all actors.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Friday, April 29, 2016, 08:31:49 »

Haha I had a feeling someone might say that. Of course there are more cynical motives, but most comedians start doing what they do because they enjoy making people laugh. That is still their goal at the end of the day, if no one laughs then they don't further their career or make any money, do they? Anyway, like I said, if you think there should be limits with what's suitable for comedy then I totally get that, it's just not my view. I don't think it's something that can be argued for or against particularly well, especially if you have strong feelings on the subject. Offense is just a surprisingly arbitrary thing when you think about it, and I think unless someone says something with the intent of being hateful, the best thing to do is challenge them (if they need to be educated) or forget about it.

FWIW I don't give a toss what comedians say and many comedians who the main find offensive can be funny, thats not the point I was making.

What does irritate me is the fact that papers like the Guardian (and by extension their unquestioning readership) take great pleasure acting as the unappointed arbitrator of taste and Liberal correctness in this country and then on the other hand give a platform to someone like Frankie Boyle who has a history of censure for bringing disabled kids into his 'routine' (hence the relevance to this thread), it just reeks of sheer hypocrisy of the type which Guardianistas like to sneer at the Mail!

I only mentioned it as it seemed very relevant to this thread as much of the urge to leap on anyone who says something deemed non PC seems to be informed by much of the media and then exacerbated on social media by people who robotically follow this imposed idea of right and wrong.

FWIW I don't like Frankie Boyle as I don't think he is particularly funny and there are plenty of other comedians who deliver similar material in a much more thought out and nuanced manner but if it sells for him good luck to the guy. 
horlock07

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 17:45:49 »

John Cleese obviously supports Suttonred 😀

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: