Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Bury: Match Day Thread  (Read 49950 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 12:08:54 »

Definitely agree regarding a legacy being left. As much as I appreciate Black writing off the debt his overall exit strategy left a lot to be desired for a very respectable businessman.

I suppose the next question will be to what extent does Blacks charges over future ground development further hamstrung any chance we have of ground development (ignoring the fact that we don't even own the ground) which could provide the 24/7 revenue sources that the club desperately needs to move forward.

The Black era could have been golden but was badly managed form the start (I know everyone loved Fitton but he seemed to lose the plot very quickly) and disintegrated at the end, if he had held his nerve for 6 months it may have been an entirely different proposition to now as we could have been a Championship outfit and thus attractive to investors (possibly!).
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 12:12:49 »

While i can't disagree with that there were also other players that we got not due to him. The saints lads,Kasim was one of williams signings. Still say this year we were very unlucky with the 2 liverpool lads injury situations

I suppose the issue going forward is what are Powers contacts up to at the moment, Sherwood is out of the game essentially (still somewhat surprised he hasn't landed here in some position), Williams picks from Brighton will have dried up and no idea where the link to Liverpool is, not sure who the contact was but Klopps arrival seems to have reduced their wish to loan players....
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 12:35:24 »

I suppose the issue going forward is what are Powers contacts up to at the moment, Sherwood is out of the game essentially (still somewhat surprised he hasn't landed here in some position), Williams picks from Brighton will have dried up and no idea where the link to Liverpool is, not sure who the contact was but Klopps arrival seems to have reduced their wish to loan players....

He must have one at Norwich.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 12:44:54 »

While i can't disagree with that there were also other players that we got not due to him. The saints lads,Kasim was one of williams signings. Still say this year we were very unlucky with the 2 liverpool lads injury situations

Fair point.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 12:52:12 »

But equally (I am emphasise I am no sort of Jedders apologist) there wasn't exactly a queue waiting that Jed was at the head of, without him taking a flyer Admin beckoned and thus being once again at the mercy of the FL.

I think the timing was key. There may well have been others interested, but not within the timeframe, and with no guarantees of the deal getting done. so yeah, the only choice at that time.

I have a suspicion that Fitton may have thought about it - but this is purely based in a throwaway type comment Fitton made about 'you never know' when asked if he could be back at the club at the future. Probably 2+2=5.

At the very least Power brings stability which has been something lacking for the majority of my time supporting the club, I remember the heady and what felt like never ending, days of constantly refreshing this site to see if another takeover/bail out had fallen through!

I think football fans suffer from problems of financial perspective moaning that an owner won't put £20m into a club at a whim yet in the next breath moaning that burgers have gone up 50p.
Still say there is no way of knowing what he's up to, if indeed anything above what he says.

Thing is it doesn't matter in terms of football fans expectations. He's saying we'll be a long term sustainable project. Its the right thing to say/do and sets expectations. But its not going to make an exciting sales pitch where STs are concerned. So if on pitch success looks to be equally far away then STs will dwindle.

That's the way it is though.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 13:26:41 »

I think the timing was key. There may well have been others interested, but not within the timeframe, and with no guarantees of the deal getting done. so yeah, the only choice at that time.

I have a suspicion that Fitton may have thought about it - but this is purely based in a throwaway type comment Fitton made about 'you never know' when asked if he could be back at the club at the future. Probably 2+2=5.

The more I look back on Fitton the more he just seems to have been a mouthpiece, he said all the right things that the fans wanted to hear, but apart from that its all a bit hmmmmm. He ushered in the 'New Labour' era of ownership where it was more to do with what was said than what actually seemed to happen.

Not doubting the position he holds in saving us from Diamandis et al, but with hindsight all a bit meh now.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 13:27:36 »

I hold a very different view. but it's history so I'll leave it there
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 13:50:43 »

I hold a very different view. but it's history do I'll leave it there
Agreed, lets move on to the happy place the club and its supporters are in now   Wink.... oh bugger!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 13:59:35 »

This, from a Barnsley fans seems to sum it up well

It's the same for most clubs at this level, I can't see Winnall, Hourihane, or Hammill, staying with us, unfortunately players would rather leave to sit on a bench somewhere on fortunes a week, than play first team football on the wages clubs in this league pay.
Once you get below tenth in the championship,every club just continually chop and changes the majority of their squad every 12/18 months, either because the cheap options they are forced to take haven't worked out, or because they've turned into little diamonds and a club with more money wants them, or because they've simply gone back to their parent club. Ether way unless you want a squad full of mediocre polders no one else wants it's something you have to come to terms with, it's really sad but the days of building a squad over 3/4 years and challenging without spending millions and millions are long gone definitely at this level anyway, it's the reason the gap in standard between this league and the championship just keeps getting bigger unless you spend big, we're all just feeder clubs for the championship teams .
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #264 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 14:25:30 »

Lee Power needs to release a few statements with some carefully crafted hashtags, open up a bar in the middle of the town end and recall Miles Storey from whichever club he is on loan with at the time. That'd get the fans excited again.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 14:29:09 »

Lee Power needs to release a few statements with some carefully crafted hashtags, open up a bar in the middle of the town end and recall Miles Storey from whichever club he is on loan with at the time. That'd get the fans excited again.

And buy a pint for everyone in the Tap and Barrel. They won't care "where the money's gone" then.

Actually didn't Power pop in the Merlin and buy a few beers once? Or did I dream that?

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 18:10:37 »

We always wanted Power...

I do wonder how that would have panned out with Bill and the fans consortium.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 19:46:53 »

We always wanted Power...

I do wonder how that would have panned out with Bill and the fans consortium.
We'd probably still have Maverick and his circular arguments on here!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 20:50:09 »

it would have either been brilliant, or he'd have got his million back and legged it.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #269 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 08:37:51 »

Reading back through this and regarding communication etc you can't argue with it,Power is awful but i had a bit of a think last night and think in terms of the footballing side he is getting a bit of unfair stick.

It's never a excuse but injuries this season has crippled us i do not care what people say. Last night was only the 5th game this season that L Thompson,Kasim Ajose and Obika have managed to start a game together all season.

We had to return Kevin Stewart and Williams to Liverpool we had to send Wes Thomas back due to injuries. Nathan Thompson this season has only played 21 games. People are quick to say that power hasn't recruited well but that's based on the likes of Boo barry(5th highest amount of assists in the division tbf) and Brophy .

If you look at the players we have actually bought in with the likes of the following has he actually recruited badly this year

L Thompson
Doughty
El Habd
Ajose
K Stewart
Traore
Barry
Wes Thomas
Turnball
Boo
Brophy
J williams
Vigaroux

What i am saying is we have had the basis for a good team this year but i honestly can't remember a season as bad as this injury wise and as above shows to say Power hasn't bought players in of a decent standard isn't strictly true is it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: