Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Bury: Match Day Thread  (Read 50618 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 15:59:40 »

Yes it's been a crap season, but the worst ever? I can think of 2 relegations to the basement division in the last few years, Maurice Malpas anyone? Paul Hart? Power's a crook who's asset stripping: yeah, a league 1 club that doesn't even own it's own ground is a potential fucking goldmine, isn't it?

Still time before this season's over to make that call. If things continue as they are, we're looking at a candiddate for the Hall of Shame, that's for sure.

It's not exactly surprising that fans are a bit hacked off...
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 16:10:15 »

This isn't aimed at any particular individual, but it always amuses me when 'lifelong' Swindon fans say they aren't going any more because someone with no real ties to Swindon refuses to spunk millions and instead tries a different approach that doesn't jeopordise the Club's long term financial future. Yeah, that makes perfect sense; cut off the only major revenue the club has. You can all then moan when players are sold to balance the books....

I've read some absolute bollocks over the last few months, some on here but mainly on the God awful STFC fans page on Facebook. Over reaction doesn't do it justice. Yes it's been a crap season, but the worst ever? I can think of 2 relegations to the basement division in the last few years, Maurice Malpas anyone? Paul Hart? Power's a crook who's asset stripping: yeah, a league 1 club that doesn't even own it's own ground is a potential fucking goldmine, isn't it?

We've had a bad season. In August we start again. If you follow a club like Swindon you shouldn't expect, much less demand, success. You should hope for it. We haven't got a divine right to be fighting for promotion, no more than any other club in the league. The football's been bad. A lot of the supporters have been atrocious.

Yeah this pretty much sums it up...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 16:13:50 »

This isn't aimed at any particular individual, but it always amuses me when 'lifelong' Swindon fans say they aren't going any more because someone with no real ties to Swindon refuses to spunk millions and instead tries a different approach that doesn't jeopordise the Club's long term financial future. Yeah, that makes perfect sense; cut off the only major revenue the club has. You can all then moan when players are sold to balance the books....

I've read some absolute bollocks over the last few months, some on here but mainly on the God awful STFC fans page on Facebook. Over reaction doesn't do it justice. Yes it's been a crap season, but the worst ever? I can think of 2 relegations to the basement division in the last few years, Maurice Malpas anyone? Paul Hart? Power's a crook who's asset stripping: yeah, a league 1 club that doesn't even own it's own ground is a potential fucking goldmine, isn't it?

We've had a bad season. In August we start again. If you follow a club like Swindon you shouldn't expect, much less demand, success. You should hope for it. We haven't got a divine right to be fighting for promotion, no more than any other club in the league. The football's been bad. A lot of the supporters have been atrocious.

Absolutely spot on, none of the moaning financial whizzkids on here has ever managed to establish how Power is asset stripping, nor whether he can be accused of asset stripping when the players being sold are ones he funded the purchase of himself?

Cue the 'Licking Powers arse' abuse, sorry I have no idea what is going on, however I do like a thing called evidence before I reach a decision, I hope to god few of our supporters ever do jury service.....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 16:18:17 »

Absolutely spot on, none of the moaning financial whizzkids on here has ever managed to establish how Power is asset stripping, nor whether he can be accused of asset stripping when the players being sold are ones he funded the purchase of himself?

Cue the 'Licking Powers arse' abuse, sorry I have no idea what is going on, however I do like a thing called evidence before I reach a decision, I hope to god few of our supporters ever do jury service.....

This is a football club we're talking about here....not a PhD dissertation;  people should doubt the owner, people should question what is going on at the club, if they can find out anything.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #214 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 16:18:24 »

Still time before this season's over to make that call. If things continue as they are, we're looking at a candiddate for the Hall of Shame, that's for sure.

It's not exactly surprising that fans are a bit hacked off...

You said the other week that as we'd all but confirmed safety we should spend the rest of the season experimenting and preparing for next season.

Are you telling me you're not so confident now Reg? I did think you'd gotten a little carried away - that little decent spell we had certainly had a lot of fans going so don't feel too bad.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 16:31:18 »

You said the other week that as we'd all but confirmed safety we should spend the rest of the season experimenting and preparing for next season.

Are you telling me you're not so confident now Reg? I did think you'd gotten a little carried away - that little decent spell we had certainly had a lot of fans going so don't feel too bad.

Such are the dangers of optimism, it's the hope that gets you in the end...when we reached 50 points with 10 games to go, I did think we'd pick up at least 2 points, rather than the 1 which now looks likely.

It would have been a luxury to have a quiet end of season, look at a few kids etc.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 16:31:43 »

Surely the 1950's as an entire decade could easily rank as worse than this season (one season apart in 1957/58).  The early 80's was pretty terrible as well and several seasons in recent memory.  If it's boardroom strife we rank this on, then again, 70's to 80's would be up there, as would about 1997-2007.  No, this season is merely a rank mediocre one on any measure, as it stands.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 16:32:15 »

This is a football club we're talking about here....not a PhD dissertation;  people should doubt the owner, people should question what is going on at the club, if they can find out anything.
That should be standard fare for every football club. Problem is, nobody will know for sure what Power's legacy will be until he goes.

I suppose if next season is a replica,  or worse, than this I suspect the cat will be out of the bag.

Tbh I'm more worried about Williams than Power
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 16:32:18 »

Doubt the owner? Fine. Question what's going on? Fine.

Throw accusations around with absolutely no evidence? Not fine.

It's All Good..............
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 16:33:25 »

IN fact, looking back, our dodgiest owners brought our best seasons in recent times!  So the boardroom being squeaky clean is hardly something fans are normally that concerned about.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 17:17:42 »

You realise that to many this post makes you happy clapper.

To the sane among us, you just talk a lot of sense
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 17:25:04 »

Doubt the owner? Fine. Question what's going on? Fine.

Throw accusations around with absolutely no evidence? Not fine.

Do people do that here without qualifying their speculation?  I don't do Facebook/Twitter, if the stuff that displeases is on there, then do like me ignore it.
Flashheart

« Reply #222 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 17:35:18 »

Yes Reg, yes they do.

Some try to 'support' their argument with theories about financial misconduct, but that's just circular reasoning. They're trying to use the claim to justify the claim (despite being told we've heard it all before). They qualify nothing.
Flashheart

« Reply #223 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 18:22:19 »

Those putting forward the allegations about Power have a tendency to put forward 'arguments' packed with logical fallacies, and logical fallacies do nothing to address the questions about said allegations.

Notably: Circular reasoning fallacy (The figures show he's taking the money because the figures show he's taking the money), ad-hom fallacy (You're not a passionate fan anyway), personal incredulity fallacy (I don't understand so it's wrong), begging the question fallacy (so what will you do when we're bust?), appeal to authority fallacy (I've been a season ticket holder for years) and the good old Strawman fallacy (So you think he's wonderful then!)

All we're asking for is a reason to actually believe that their hypothesis are correct, instead we tend to get offered a selection from the above. Then, of course, they get agitated at us for not accepting their hypothesis even though they've not given us any valid reason to do so.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 18:30:57 »

There is a particular one on the facebook group that really grates me!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: