Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trip to Iceland  (Read 3929 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 18:26:09 »

Thinking of a trip to Iceland with Mrs Donkey, but there appears to be a huge number of different trips and stuff. Has anyone been? Any recommendations? Cheers all.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 18:33:03 »

Thinking of a trip to Iceland with Mrs Donkey, but there appears to be a huge number of different trips and stuff. Has anyone been? Any recommendations? Cheers all.

3 sorts of fish for a tenner atm.

http://www.iceland.co.uk/amazing-iceland-value
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 18:44:05 »

I think my mum has been there.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DMR

« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 18:50:02 »

The northern lights is pretty jaw dropping and wears a bit thin after half hour. The husky sleigh ride is uncomfortable and the novelty wears off pretty quickly. The cuisine is unbelievably basic and shit and the whole place is eyewateringly expensive. Enjoy.
DMR

« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 18:50:29 »

The northern lights is pretty jaw dropping, but wears a bit thin after half hour. The husky sleigh ride is uncomfortable and the novelty wears off pretty quickly. The cuisine is unbelievably basic and shit and the whole place is eyewateringly expensive. Enjoy.
DMR

« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 18:51:32 »

Not sure how I've managed that duplicate but you get the idea 👍🏻
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 19:06:19 »

Not sure how I've managed that duplicate but you get the idea 👍🏻
I do... Wasn't quite what I expected...

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 19:15:25 »

We went quite while back - when their economy was still very strong - but hugely preferred the north to the south. Reykjavik is a bit grim really and prone to bad weather. Like a corrugated iron version of Manchester. 2/3 of the population live there so much of the area is suburban.

Really you want to get out into the countyside and see things - or we did and it was pretty Spartan - and parts of the interior are insanely empty and Mars-like. So a car is useful but we flew north and hired one up there. Particularly as there is volcanic stuff just by the roadside in parts of the north and so many waterfalls of huge power and scale. Also http://www.myvatnnaturebaths.is rather basic but completely empty on the night we saw the nothern lights.

Liked Akureyri more. Dryer and warmer, despite being further north and less developed. Did the whale watching cliches and the geysers too but liked the freedom to explore best.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 15, 2016, 19:58:40 by A Gent Orange » Logged
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 19:32:44 »

I went for a few days in 2010.  Flew back home the day that the volcano erupted.  Had a great view of the ash plume from the plane!

As DMR says, it can be a bit pricey but there are more expensive places!

I did the basic "Golden Circle" trip, which takes in the Thingvellir National Park which has some pretty amazing landscapes (where the tectonic plates come out of the ground), a pretty impressive waterfall and some geysirs.  I also did the Blue Lagoon, which was OK.  Didn't have time to fit in whale watching or glacier trip.

Watched the Town's televised 1-1 draw against Exeter in the Barni Fel Sports Bar, which did a decent burger and pint.  The restaurants were a bit weird, as was the local lamb stew (best avoided).

Went to the National Stadium and blagged a look around inside.  The chaps in the office were all Reading 'followers', because of Gylfi Sigurdsson.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 20:35:19 »

3 sorts of fish for a tenner atm.

http://www.iceland.co.uk/amazing-iceland-value

I'm just back from my first visit to costco. Jeez it was bigger than some villages.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 22:01:47 »

I'm going in November. Can't wait! Everyone I've spoken to about it has said it's a place you have to visit again. We booked a load of stuff through icelandair
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, April 16, 2016, 00:08:36 »

I think at certain times of the year you can watch the locals turn the sea red - if you are that way inclined
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 16, 2016, 01:13:37 »

I do... Wasn't quite what I expected...
Thanks to the joy of quotes I can quite confidently say. ignore that wanker.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 21:13:50 »

I'm going in November. Can't wait! Everyone I've spoken to about it has said it's a place you have to visit again. We booked a load of stuff through icelandair

What sort of things have you booked, Nath?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 09:18:14 »

What sort of things have you booked, Nath?

We've booked snowmobiling, a tour of a waterfall and a national park (name escapes me) and a few things with the natural springs / northern lights... These all came recommended to me by people that went there! There's quite a few sites online where you can book different things but as I said, we went with icelandair as they do all sorts of excursions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: