Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Season so far....  (Read 14041 times)
GL5 Red

« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2016, 21:11:52 »

Great post Oaksey, credit where due.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2016, 21:11:57 »

Fuck paying the bills and investing in a new training ground, just plough it all on players.

I think stability wise, we are better as a club. In fact, I Know we are. Mr Power has spent money on the club as a whole. A lot that people do not see.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
GL5 Red

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2016, 21:14:15 »

All very we'll investing next to nothing on players...sure the 4,500-5000 will be thrilled next season.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2016, 21:15:41 »

So be it - that will be down to the fans choice.

Surely it's better to have a club than no club at all? I think some people need to broaden their visions. Yes the team hasn't had the best season, but behind the scenes we are better off. Just remember that we had a change of management half way through which wouldn't have helped.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2016, 21:23:15 »

Show me a league one club that is breaking even or making a profit? Whilst I understand the apathy towards the style of play and perceived lack of quality signings, I think the club is being run on an even keel. Just because we have larger gates than a number of clubs in the league it doesn't automatically equate to more to spend, it just means more to cover the running costs which if we only spend what we earn ensures we break even. We don't know the running costs, but what is do know is I'd rather have a club than have one it go to the wall.

The point I'm trying to make is it would be nice for someone to spunk some money up the wall and try to go for promotion, but until then I'm happy to have a club that isn't in danger of folding.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2016, 21:40:01 »

Have we seen any evidence of actually achieving break even?

I mean that for the accountants on here rather than a dig at anyone (incl Power). I've honestly lost track of the public finance records.

FWIW, if we have then great. Its not very exciting and probably won't get us out the league. But the way I see it is it keeps us going until a billionaire philanthropist whose mission in life is to blow all their money on us appears.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2016, 21:44:23 »

Have we seen any evidence of actually achieving break even?

I mean that for the accountants on here rather than a dig at anyone (incl Power). I've honestly lost track of the public finance records.

FWIW, if we have then great. Its not very exciting and probably won't get us out the league. But the way I see it is it keeps us going until a billionaire philanthropist whose mission in life is to blow all their money on us appears.

The loss last year was about £86,000 which is as close to break even you would get in League 1 and our history. There was one year of profit in the Fitton era but that was only losses set aside for court disputes weren't needed and added back to the balance sheet.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2016, 21:48:50 »

86K is pretty sweet financially then. The wage bill has surely gone down this season too.

If he hasn't got the money to "invest", then he hasn't got it. Would prefer he did but hey ho.

It does feel like the club is stagnating/back to square 1 though. It may not be reality, but perception does encourage/discourage people. I have to say the complete devastation of the squad over the summer surprised me a little. We were obviously going to sell and players wanted to move on. I didn't expect to start again though.

It'll be interesting to see if there really is a 2 year cycle, or whether it'll be start again time. That said, the loans will go back so we lose Thompson, Turnbull and possibly Vigs. With what's left I can't see past Obika and Ajose (and Yasser I guess) currently being worth anything. Which is worrying.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 6, 2016, 21:52:40 by Batch » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2016, 21:54:32 »

So a good few months ago I questioned Lee Power and stressed my concern at the low quality players we were singing.  Some of the replies were laughable, however I wonder if many of those who were quick to shoot me down are happy with Mr Power now.  We currently have a squad that is simply woeful, players have been signed because they demand lower wages than most yet our attendances are considerably higher than numerous other teams.  something doesn't add up.......
Next season will be the first season in a considerable time I do not purchase a season ticket.  Numerous others who have supported the club for yours have become disillusioned citing Power and his methods for the reason for no longer wanting to attend.  These are worrying times.  (No doubt this message will get the usual "go support Man Utd" and "Power has us on sound financial footing"). If Power persists with signing poor quality players then we will not only be in free fall but attendances will also suffer massively.  I for one have found this season to be a complete chore and cannot see things improving.  I look forward to some sensible input from the likes of delta incline, no doubt others will have something sarcastic lined up. 

Probably missed it, but in what format did you ask these questions and what answers did Power actually give when subjected to your questioning? As for signing players based purely on wage requirements has this actually been stated anywhere or is it just a case of taking a flyer on players not paid off this season unlike last?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, April 7, 2016, 03:48:49 »

86K is pretty sweet financially then. The wage bill has surely gone down this season too.

If he hasn't got the money to "invest", then he hasn't got it. Would prefer he did but hey ho.

It does feel like the club is stagnating/back to square 1 though. It may not be reality, but perception does encourage/discourage people. I have to say the complete devastation of the squad over the summer surprised me a little. We were obviously going to sell and players wanted to move on. I didn't expect to start again though.

It'll be interesting to see if there really is a 2 year cycle, or whether it'll be start again time. That said, the loans will go back so we lose Thompson, Turnbull and possibly Vigs. With what's left I can't see past Obika and Ajose (and Yasser I guess) currently being worth anything. Which is worrying.
The £86k loss was posted before the player sales of last summer and the play off income and the subsequent cut in the budget, so the current figures should make sweet reading - that lot should amount to £4-5m.

I presume out of that Power has paid himself back and bought the golf course - whether the club or Power is paying for the infrastructure for the training ground nobody knows - but the purchase should also bring about a drop in expenditure when we stop paying rent for our current training facilities.

The one thing that does irritate me is this oft trotted out bit about the transfer money coming in in part payments over time and therefore is not available to fund player purchases even if we wanted to. If this is the case then any purchases we may make would also be by part payment so really that makes no difference.

Why Power invested a fair bit in players at the beginning of his tenure when we were, according to him, losing £400,000 a month but now when we are on an even keel he just goes for the cheap and cheerful market, I don't know.

One thing's for sure, though. Another summer of signings in last year's mode will show whether Power is genuine in trying for promotion.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, April 7, 2016, 06:44:23 »

Fuck me, there are a few posters on here with awfully short memories!!  Admins, CVA, discontent amongst the players not and backroom staff not getting paid, "Can't Pay, We'll Take It Away" and who can forget that night at Brentford when we thought it could be the last time we see us play in the league.  The club appears to be on an even keel (less the fucking deals that Jed did!) and we have stabilised and very easy to point the finger at Power for not spending (probably money he doesn't have) on the team.  The rules on loans are changing for next season, he has to change policy somewhat but for the moment just be thankful we still have a team to support and moan at,
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, April 7, 2016, 07:30:42 »

Looking back on this season, the struggle has in my view been down to the thinness of the squad in part - hence the good runs and the bad runs.

Always controversial when one mentions PDC but one thing he did as a rookie manager himself was create tactical discipline and a good defence.  This season and some of last towards the end has been a ****ing joke defensively and exacerbated by forcing a commitment to playing the ball out of defence by some players patently incapable of doing so.

Happy with that philosophy - even Hoddle gave away goals trying to implement it - but some of our pegs are very square for the round holes they are forced into. 
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, April 7, 2016, 07:50:36 »

I am a fool am I tails.  Read the forum on a regular basis and you are a muppet.

Pretty much the response I was expecting.

A muppet maybe but at least I'm a reasonable one. Care to venture any of the points I raised? didn't think so. Beaten by a muppet, how embarrassing for you.  Bye
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, April 7, 2016, 08:02:11 »

some of our pegs are very square for the round holes they are forced into. 
Probably the most accurate sentence I've read on here for weeks.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, April 7, 2016, 08:30:53 »

There should be a clause inserted into the FL fit and proper test for owners that they are legally obliged to spend whatever money is demanded from them by anyone on a fans forum.

Only then will the fans get a club worthy of our heroic support.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: