Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham Athletic v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 27389 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Thursday, April 7, 2016, 16:31:28 »

Having said that, Franchise, who like to play are going down and Preston who are old skool are staying up easily.

I had a look at the league the other day and Preston aren't a million miles away from getting into the play-offs.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Thursday, April 7, 2016, 16:36:29 »

Last season Preston were solid defensively (had the second best defensive record in England behind Chelsea) and had pace up front.   A bit like Leicester in some ways.

Most teams that do well don't let in a lot of goals, or have real star quality up front.

It;s unlikely that we are going to have the latter, so need to find a way to be solid at the back if we want any kind of success. Even Di Canio knew this, hence we hardly conceded a goal at home when winning Division 4
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Thursday, April 7, 2016, 16:38:43 »

Some really good points raised over the last few pages and it does seem that the majority of people have the same concerns.

When Cooper was sacked, Williams quite openly said he didn't want the manager's role on a permanent basis, as he wanted to stick to the coaching side.  I can't help but wonder what changed his mind.  Did he enjoy it more than he thought he would when he was caretaker, as surely he couldn't have been offered a huge salary increase?  The length of contract he was given was a big risk for a manager in his first role.  Unless Power put in some sort of clause that he gets no pay off if sacked, he'll be our manager for a long time irrelevant of how we're performing.

I just hope we've got enough in the bag to scrape over the line and lessons have been learned from the pathetic recruitment policy and squad capability this season. Having come out and said we'd really go for it next season, Power will look a bit foolish if there isn't significant rebuilding in the summer especially defensively.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Thursday, April 7, 2016, 16:57:41 »

However they don't have players who'll fetch large sums on the market, like us when we sell Ajose.  Who may be the first player to get relegated having topped the divisional scoring charts.
I'll ignore the 'when' remark. Ross McCormack could also qualify for that come the end of the season if Fulham go down.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Thursday, April 7, 2016, 17:01:58 »

It;s unlikely that we are going to have the latter, so need to find a way to be solid at the back if we want any kind of success. Even Di Canio knew this, hence we hardly conceded a goal at home when winning Division 4
A simple 442 would do for starters. Full-backs that can overlap out wide and a midfield that works its bollocks off supporting the front two and back four. Oh, and four defenders that can actually defend would be useful.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Friday, April 8, 2016, 17:09:33 »

Even Di Canio knew this, hence we hardly conceded a goal at home when winning Division 4
Too right....the back four we ended that season with was superb:

Caddis-Flint-McCormack-McEvely

Would rival any at this level also.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Friday, April 8, 2016, 17:13:42 »

The length of contract he was given was a big risk for a manager in his first role.  Unless Power put in some sort of clause that he gets no pay off if sacked, he'll be our manager for a long time irrelevant of how we're performing.

I think his contract is that is performances aren't up to scratch then he'll just revert back into his coaching-only role. So regardless, the club wanted him on a long contract. He is considered a 'prize coach' with his quality.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Friday, April 8, 2016, 17:23:55 »

I think his contract is that is performances aren't up to scratch then he'll just revert back into his coaching-only role. So regardless, the club wanted him on a long contract. He is considered a 'prize coach' with his quality.
My thoughts too.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Friday, April 8, 2016, 17:30:02 »

Apart from coaching anything defensive
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Friday, April 8, 2016, 18:03:10 »

I was under the impression Williams was already on a 5 year contract anyway before he was appointed manager
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Friday, April 8, 2016, 20:27:39 »

Too right....the back four we ended that season with was superb:

Caddis-Flint-McCormack-McEvely

Would rival any at this level also.
Terrific back four at that level. Complented each other so well too!

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, April 9, 2016, 11:33:58 »

Williams isn't our Manager, he's 'Head Coach'.

That might sound like splitting hairs, but it gives the club the ability to bring in a 'Manager' or 'Director of Football' at any time without having to be seen to publically demote Williams and with minimal loss of face.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Saturday, April 9, 2016, 11:59:03 »

he's the man who picks the team and faces the media.

Job titles men nothing - if you bring in anyone else to do that it'll be a demotion, even of it's self instigated if he thinks it's not for him after all.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Saturday, April 9, 2016, 12:15:47 »

he's the man who picks the team and faces the media.

Job titles men nothing - if you bring in anyone else to do that it'll be a demotion, even of it's self instigated if he thinks it's not for him after all.

Watching the Burnley game....pre match Michael Duff was asked, what makes Sean Dyche a good manager?

Duff who's reasonably articulate, answered, "well he does all the modern coaching stuff, but is old skool, like how he played...professionalism, discipline, punctuality...those sorts of things"

I'd hazard a guess that Burnley players don't ingest Nitrous Oxide.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, April 9, 2016, 19:24:50 »

Watching the Burnley game....pre match Michael Duff was asked, what makes Sean Dyche a good manager?

Duff who's reasonably articulate, answered, "well he does all the modern coaching stuff, but is old skool, like how he played...professionalism, discipline, punctuality...those sorts of things"

I'd hazard a guess that Burnley players don't ingest Nitrous Oxide.

If I was to gamble I'd say they probably have. They just didn't film it.
They got a bit giggly for a minute or two, they didn't even do a Wilshere. That would be disrespectful.
Throughout his time at the club players have been complimentary of Williams' coaching ability. Not only that, but I think the way we've come back from defeats shows he must command some respect from the players. I don't think our current predicament is anything to do with a cognisant lack of respect for LW.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: