Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guardian Article.  (Read 13337 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 31, 2016, 16:04:17 »

I still fail to really grasp what Powers objectives are (actually I understand what the objective is but just cannot see a logical or easy way to get there) and as I have said countless times if he is here to make money there are plenty of other clubs where it must be easier to do so than Swindon who essentially own nothing apart from players (which he bought to the club - can you asset strip things you funded yourself), a training ground (ditto) and that's about it?

Well Power has said he's here to make money, so it should be straightforward to understand. As Jed showed there are many ways to asset strip a club...you just need some creativity.

My theory goes something like this and I'd like to stress it is no more than guess work...Power had to show a certain amount of funds to pass the FL FPPT and keep the club running, for which he deserves credit.

He then pays himself back said funds from the proceeds of player sales etc, so that when the question is posed, who is paying for the training set up, Lee Power is an honest answer.

The training set up has potential for development, one would assume the profits from which will go to the owner. You'd like to think in return for this the club will not have to pay rent....but let's wait and see on that.

We get to keep our historically lower league FC....Mr Power obviously likes the game and makes himself a few bob beside.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 31, 2016, 16:07:04 »

I think Sam is experiencing the equivalent of "never meet your heroes" syndrome. He got burnt by a particularly paranoid owner. He needs to get on with his career without the emotional ties and get back to enjoying matchdays in the pub - or burger van - with his mates

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, March 31, 2016, 17:34:51 »

I can sympathise with Sam's article, must be very difficult to get a job writing about the football team you really support then see it all implode and become persona non grata.

As he rightly says when you get older perhaps the results do not matter quite as much but I would still like to see the Town twenty points clear at the top of the table but realistically that is not going to happen short term or even long term with the current squad, but once a Town fan always a Town fan.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Sam Morshead

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, March 31, 2016, 18:26:51 »

It's always interesting to see the reaction to bits like this. Was never meant as another moan at the owner, more a warning about how the job can blunt enthusiasm (though of course I did take the initial media ban very personally - if you'd been on the receiving end of the phone call I received two days after that Peterborough game in Jan 14, you'd have been equally offended, I'm sure).
I fully intend on getting on with my career but writing is all about experiences and this just happened to be mine, and it gives me material which others seem to want to read about. Which is a bonus.
I went in the stands for the Blackpool game. Couldn't get excited, which is sad. But it'll change at some point.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, March 31, 2016, 18:37:43 »

I think a lot of people are being a bit harsh, all Sam's saying is that going to football is no longer about football. So it isn't so good.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, March 31, 2016, 19:03:39 »

Its a good piece Sam and jobs certainly can blunt the enthusiasm.

It always seems like a dream to have a job in something you love.  Working in live music for me has resulted in the magic disappearing to a great extent, so I can see where Sam is coming from.  There are occasions where the excitement returns but a lot of it just becomes workaday.  Just another gig.

Its not quite as bad as it is for Sam in that Im attached to live music rather than one band, whereas Sam became attached to one club not the whole of football, but friends and family still get pissed off with me if we ever go to gigs and festivals that my enthusiasm doesn't match theirs anymore.

Still.  I could still be a civil servant so I cant complain.

Never knowingly overstated.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, March 31, 2016, 20:37:42 »

I'm the same, or similar. More than a decade working in video games actually became rather dull - or the vast majority did.  Even the foreign travel and nice hotels. Now I hardly touch them. Games, I mean, not nice hotels etc.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, April 3, 2016, 13:25:53 »

Sam is doing live over by over updates on the t20 final today on the daily mail site.

Fair play to him.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, April 3, 2016, 13:27:04 »

If he had any morals he'd refuse to do any work for that shite
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, April 3, 2016, 15:20:07 »

That would be sensible, turning down work after a pretty lean time i would imagine. Someone else will pay those bills..
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, April 3, 2016, 15:27:14 »

I think sonic was taking the piss, SR
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, April 3, 2016, 15:30:17 »

Absolutely not!
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, April 3, 2016, 22:51:27 »

Someone from the DM contacted me once. I told them to fuck off.
I'm not judging Sam, but I'll go against the "well no one would turn that down" thing, because I really, really hate that paper.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, April 3, 2016, 22:55:24 »

That's like saying you didn't read the sun in the 80's but everyone did. I find the mail quite readable, in a dog wont let go of a bone sort of way, even though the bone is a quorn fillet really.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, April 3, 2016, 23:05:56 »

That's like saying you didn't read the sun in the 80's but everyone did. I find the mail quite readable, in a dog wont let go of a bone sort of way, even though the bone is a quorn fillet really.

I was born in 91. Wink
I genuinely find the Mail offensive. They won't have any of my money.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: