Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Wigan Match Day Thread  (Read 24945 times)
overthehill

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 14:07:47 »

Some of you lot crack me up. One poor game and suddenly we're doing it all wrong. Never mind, we'll win a game again soon and then we'll be contenders again.

Unfortunately it has not only been 1 poor game. We have been pretty shit in most home games under Williams but managing to salvage something with late goals. Alas something that was never going to happen yesterday.

When you're smiling.........
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 14:21:46 »

Unfortunately it has not only been 1 poor game. We have been pretty shit in most home games under Williams but managing to salvage something with late goals. Alas something that was never going to happen yesterday.

Nevertheless we got the job done, which when in a relegation battle is what you need to do, so Williams and the players deserve credit for that.  We could very easily be in a Donny type position....their wage bill must be significantly higher than ours, given they could afford Williams' wages when we couldn't, and they got in a name lower league manager, but are in the crap.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 15:45:44 »

Twas ever thus.

Yesterday I had hoped that our lads would be able to express themselves, and I'm including the coaching staff in this, but we froze.

On to Scunny...our last couple of trips there have been very disappointing.  The absence of Nathan more or less dictates a 4-4-2....a nice boring 1-1, would be very acceptable.

My mind wanders back to a Jimmy Quin managed side of about 99.....we got ripped to shreds by Ipswich at the CG, 0-6 on the Friday, and then went to Uddersfield on the Monday and won 2-1.

The Ipswich game, was the heaviest defeat I've witnessed at the CG, eclipsing the 1-6 defeat to Newcastle in 65.  At one point yesterday, I thought we could easily be on for something a lot worse. Wigan could quite easily have scored 10.

They only had 10 shots for fuck's sake, half of them off target. On that basis, we could quite easily have scored 7.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 15:56:29 »

They only had 10 shots for fuck's sake, half of them off target. On that basis, we could quite easily have scored 7.

Plenty of occasions where they got in wide behind us, put in dangerous crosses, that just needed a contact, but were missed altogether or scuffed, hence not a shot on target.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 16:36:34 »

Plenty of occasions where they got in wide behind us, put in dangerous crosses, that just needed a contact, but were missed altogether or scuffed, hence not a shot on target.

Dominant teams do not score every time they get within 20 yards of the opponents' goal. It doesn't happen. Which is why no football league team has scored 10 goals (or anywhere near it) in a match for a very long time. You're basically saying that we were lucky not to set a club record yesterday which, even by your standards, is absolutely ridiculous.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 17:20:51 »

Dominant teams do not score every time they get within 20 yards of the opponents' goal. It doesn't happen. Which is why no football league team has scored 10 goals (or anywhere near it) in a match for a very long time. You're basically saying that we were lucky not to set a club record yesterday which, even by your standards, is absolutely ridiculous.

What I'm saying is that we were thoroughly outplayed, and at 4-0 down and Wigan creating a host of chances my mind wandered back to similar thrashings. You say it doesn't happen, however history shows that sometime it does.

ferret

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 17:58:17 »

What I'm saying is that we were thoroughly outplayed, and at 4-0 down and Wigan creating a host of chances my mind wandered back to similar thrashings. You say it doesn't happen, however history shows that sometime it does.

History shows that sometimes teams lose 36-0. But history isn't always entirely relevant.

Right, it was a bridge too far and we lost for the first time in ages. It wasn't our day, Nicky got done by a bad call in the first half. Early second half they pinged in a couple of long-rangers, got lucky with one of them, and all of a sudden the game was done. But yeah, ok, if you feel that a team with 53% possession and 5 shots on target looked likely to score 10 goals, let's agree to differ.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 18:22:56 »

History shows that sometimes teams lose 36-0. But history isn't always entirely relevant.

Right, it was a bridge too far and we lost for the first time in ages. It wasn't our day, Nicky got done by a bad call in the first half. Early second half they pinged in a couple of long-rangers, got lucky with one of them, and all of a sudden the game was done. But yeah, ok, if you feel that a team with 53% possession and 5 shots on target looked likely to score 10 goals, let's agree to differ.

As things stand, we've conceded the most goals at home in Div 3....further you need to go back 80 years, to 35/36 to find a season where we've reached Easster with only one clean sheet at home. This history tells us we're not very good defensively.

In 35/36 we mostly only conceded 1, 2, and 3s, a bit like this season, but there was a 1-6 capitulation to Watford, it can happen when you're dodgy at the back.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 18:28:42 »

As things stand, we've conceded the most goals at home in Div 3....further you need to go back 80 years, to 35/36 to find a season where we've reached Easster with only one clean sheet at home. This history tells us we're not very good defensively.

In 35/36 we mostly only conceded 1, 2, and 3s, a bit like this season, but there was a 1-6 capitulation to Watford, it can happen when you're dodgy at the back.

Right, so we could feasibly have conceded 6. The point you were making is that we looked like conceding 10. And that's bollocks.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 18:58:01 »

Right, so we could feasibly have conceded 6. The point you were making is that we looked like conceding 10. And that's bollocks.

OK, we'll have to differ....I don't mind our kamikaze football, but I do accept that it can lead to a few pastings.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 19:50:04 »

Getting a good shoeing from arguably the best team in the league isn't 'just not our day'.
Ajose getting called offside wouldn't of made any difference to a defeat bar 6 or 7 to 2 instead of 4:1, I was relieved it wasn't more, they fluffed quite a few.

No shame in the defeat at all but I cannot bear a load of bollocks when reality is smashing you in the face.

Losing to Wigan doesn't make us shit and Williams has certainly turned us into a team worth watching again.

Sometimes you just have to take a kicking and get up again.

Denial isn't a river in Egypt!

Clems Army!
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 20:12:46 »

Getting a good shoeing from arguably the best team in the league isn't 'just not our day'.
Ajose getting called offside wouldn't of made any difference to a defeat bar 6 or 7 to 2 instead of 4:1, I was relieved it wasn't more, they fluffed quite a few.

No shame in the defeat at all but I cannot bear a load of bollocks when reality is smashing you in the face.

Losing to Wigan doesn't make us shit and Williams has certainly turned us into a team worth watching again.

Sometimes you just have to take a kicking and get up again.

Denial isn't a river in Egypt!

There's no point in arguing about it all night. I'm hardly in denial, I've said that 6 would have been feasible. But to imply that we were on the verge of losing by a record margin, something which hasn't happened in the football league for decades, suggests that it by was by some margin the most one-sided procession that any of us have ever seen. And it was not.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 21:24:13 »

We were pretty shit. They were pretty decent (as you would expect from a team that was consistently in the Premiership until a couple of years ago). We obviously lacked our "big man" up top up who has been a main outlet recently, leaving two of our midgets to compete with their giants. We've been on a very decent run of late. Am I going to lose any sleep over one humping to a team with a colossal wage budget compared to ours?

No.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 21:26:43 by WEBBERhyde » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #193 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 21:55:17 »

We were poor, but we weren't that poor*. It was more a case of them just being too good for us than us actually being really shit.

There'll likely be 1 or 2 teams like that in this league again next season. We'll just have to steal any points from them that we can, but more importantly take as many points off the rest as we can.

*Except for that 10 minutes or so at the start of the 2nd half. That was atrocious.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Sunday, March 27, 2016, 14:18:47 »

We were pretty shit. They were pretty decent (as you would expect from a team that was consistently in the Premiership until a couple of years ago). We obviously lacked our "big man" up top up who has been a main outlet recently, leaving two of our midgets to compete with their giants. We've been on a very decent run of late. Am I going to lose any sleep over one humping to a team with a colossal wage budget compared to ours?

No.

This is how feel.

I saw the weaknesses, they were stronger, better etc etc.

Was a bit meh rather than livid or gutted after....

I'm just not keen on 'we were unlucky, we played well' posts.

That's why Cooper made my piss boil after shocking displays.

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: