Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Wigan Match Day Thread  (Read 25329 times)
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 10:39:32 »

Wigan are a much better side than us, have a much bigger budget amd with the players that they have should be winning the league. Don't see the need for overreacting after one bad result. We missed Obika massively as we no out ball up front which meant we had to continue dicking around the back even more than usual.  Bad day at the office but onto Scunthorpe. Just got my tickets for that, hope we revert back to a back 4 though, think we look more potent when we play a diamond 442 with robert in behind the front 2
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 10:39:55 »

Some of you lot crack me up. One poor game and suddenly we're doing it all wrong. Never mind, we'll win a game again soon and then we'll be contenders again.

I do agree that some of the comments are quite curious. What Belford has done to be deemed a non-league keeper based on that performance is barmy. Fact of the matter is that Wigan has us nailed tactically. We couldn't play it short so had to play it long to Hylton and Ajose who were never ever going to win their battles giving the ball back to Wigan.

You have to applaud our total football ethics but as Gary Birtles said in commentary sometimes you have to have a plan B and try and turn the Wigan defenders, it was way way too easy for them. Daniels looked a little Ropey when he fucked up and Nathan got in behind him in the first half, but we never put him under nearly enough pressure after that.

Still, mid-table is a good achievement given the start of the season.

One question though, why is Robert on the bench so much all of a sudden?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 10:44:39 »

Some of you lot crack me up. One poor game and suddenly we're doing it all wrong. Never mind, we'll win a game again soon and then we'll be contenders again.
It wasn't just 'one poor game' though. It was a game against promotion contenders which is what we want to be and it's clear that we're a long way from being contenders ourselves. I went to great pains in my post to stress that we are NOT doing everything wrong but clearly there are some things that are going to need to change for us to be up there challenging. And the fact that we are over-reliant on loan signings was glaringly obvious even last season. We could have won 10-0 last night and it would still be the case. We would also still be crap at corners, and piss about with it too much at the back, and lack a couple of old heads and a couple of bigger bodies. All of those things are still true even when we're playing well and winning.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 10:51:33 »

The criticism of people who dare voice a negative opinion on here is pretty fucking tiresome. It's bordering on the board apologist/happy clapper days
Flashheart

« Reply #169 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 10:54:18 »

The criticism of people who dare voice a negative opinion on here is pretty fucking tiresome. It's bordering on the board apologist/happy clapper days

So I don't get to voice my opinion? Is that how it works? Besides you've somewhat missed the point, I'm pointing out the fickleness, not the negativity.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 11:01:42 »

That's not what I said at all, I just said it's tiresome.

Comments like this:

Are not really accurate. We were shit yesterday and people have rightly stated this. The Model has always clearly had flaws and the game yesterday certainly highlighted them. Nobody is having a meltdown.

And as per this reply, the debate has nothing to do with the actual events but instead just comes down to some unrelated bollocks.

Flashheart

« Reply #171 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 11:04:15 »

Again, I was highlighting the fickleness. Some comments suggest we are not physical enough to challenge yet we have been competing rather well. One game and to some that seems to be forgotten. Get another win and and yesterdays game will be forgotten and physicality, or lack thereof, will no longer be a problem.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 11:15:55 »

I don't think it's fickle to highlight obvious flaws in The Model. We've done alright this season and nobody has said otherwise but in order to improve we need to look at our relative weaknesses and address them - especially with enforced changes coming.

Anyway, it's not really relevant and we're already repeating ourselves so I'll finish this with a stupid gif

Flashheart

« Reply #173 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 11:19:10 »

The gif settles it.
Flashheart

« Reply #174 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 11:21:25 »

Anyway, a bit of a stato moment.

I worked out earlier that if we had our form under Williams from the start of the season, we'd currently be in 4th on 64 points. He's doing rather well so far.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 11:31:40 »

To be fair I think the team sits about where it should do based on individual player ability.  Some of them may continue to improve, which I guess is the point, but improvement overall next season is going to be reliant on additions to the squad.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 12:32:22 »

Certain people only show up when we lose...

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 12:47:54 »

Certain people only show up when we lose...
Such as?

Matchday threads are always longer when we lose as there is more to discuss. The fact this game was on TV also meant more people would have been able to watch than usual hence the comments.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 12:55:32 »

Twas ever thus.

Yesterday I had hoped that our lads would be able to express themselves, and I'm including the coaching staff in this, but we froze.

On to Scunny...our last couple of trips there have been very disappointing.  The absence of Nathan more or less dictates a 4-4-2....a nice boring 1-1, would be very acceptable.

My mind wanders back to a Jimmy Quin managed side of about 99.....we got ripped to shreds by Ipswich at the CG, 0-6 on the Friday, and then went to Uddersfield on the Monday and won 2-1.

The Ipswich game, was the heaviest defeat I've witnessed at the CG, eclipsing the 1-6 defeat to Newcastle in 65.  At one point yesterday, I thought we could easily be on for something a lot worse. Wigan could quite easily have scored 10.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Saturday, March 26, 2016, 13:02:57 »

We have achieved relative safety by beating the teams lower than us.

When you look at our results against the current top 10 it doesn't make pleasant reading.

Played 16 Won 2 Drew 5 Lost 9 = 11 points from 48.

Next season looks likely to be as equally weak as this so significant improvement is needed.

Yet again, our complete lack of quality in our back-ups has been shown up. We do seem overstocked with midfielders and bereft of striking options, too.

It's all very well Williams wanting a lean and tight knit squad but it leaves us so vulnerable when the inevitable injuries and suspensions come along.

Hopefully the way this season has panned out will help address these things next season.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: