Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Wigan Match Day Thread  (Read 25313 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:35:05 »

You can have big blokes who are pussies and little-uns who are terriers.

Let's face it Wigan will win the league and have a wage bill about x5 ours, so it's hardly surprising they were significantly better than us.

Yeah that little fucker Perkins for one. I've seen us play against him about 10 times, and he always plays well.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:35:18 »

I feel that if Mr Power is being truthful in wishing to get us to the championship he should look at that result today and after analysis come to the conclusion that to be successful we need more physical presence on the pitch - look at the way our players were brushed off the ball today - and make that a priority for next season.

I hope we haven't got an owner so mental he's going to look at one game we lost (to a team 2nd in the league) that it's going to change his entire outlook, but admittedly we did miss Beaks today.

I get your point totally, but look at Ritchie - he was great in the air, and he's the same height as me i think!
There was far more going wrong today than the absence of Jon's physicality. I mean if you can't pass the ball to each other and the midfield disappears you could have had Arnie up front, if the ball never gets to him...

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:35:29 »

You can have big blokes who are pussies and little-uns who are terriers.

Let's face it Wigan will win the league and have a wage bill about x5 ours, so it's hardly surprising they were significantly better than us.
Couldn't argue with that Reg, their no 4 was small in stature but big in heart - sort of player we could do with.

ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:37:28 »

I hope we haven't got an owner so mental he's going to look at one game we lost (to a team 2nd in the league) that it's going to change his entire outlook, but admittedly we did miss Beaks today.

I get your point totally, but look at Ritchie - he was great in the air, and he's the same height as me i think!
There was far more going wrong today than the absence of Jon's physicality. I mean if you can't pass the ball to each other and the midfield disappears you could have had Arnie up front, if the ball never gets to him...

Just feel he has got to add a bit more physical presence to be a successful side - our players prefer to jump out of the way with one or two exceptions - hope that's not a Rodgers influence!
Flashheart

« Reply #139 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:38:30 »

I feel that if Mr Power is being truthful in wishing to get us to the championship he should look at that result today and after analysis come to the conclusion that to be successful we need more physical presence on the pitch - look at the way our players were brushed off the ball today - and make that a priority for next season.

We've been doing quite well since certain changes have been implemented.

I think it would be unwise to base our strategy on observations of one match. They were bigger, better, stronger than us but that's not usually the case in this league. Sometimes you just have to play a team that is better than you are and if you lose, it's not necessarily your strategy that's to blame.
Flashheart

« Reply #140 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:39:13 »

Ah, Ells beat me to it.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:41:31 »

That number 5 Daniels is some unit, absolutely rapid too

EDIT: Just seen Wigan fans really don't rate him.. Find that surprising, surely someone that size adds stability to most defences
« Last Edit: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:46:06 by JoeMezz » Logged
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 22:02:28 »

I know who they reminded me of: Preston. Just crushed us with power, hard work and organisation. Not sure our current model has a response to that sort of team.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Flashheart

« Reply #143 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 22:09:40 »

I didn't think they were that good going forward, our awful defending made them look better than they were in that regard. A couple of times in the 1st half our defenders just left it for others to deal with in our own penalty area.

It's easy to see how they've gone for so long without a defeat though.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 22:11:19 »

I know who they reminded me of: Preston. Just crushed us with power, hard work and organisation. Not sure our current model has a response to that sort of team.

They're not quite as dirty and hoofy as Preston, but I see where you're coming from. Overall they were simply better than us, and it's so frustrating to see us lacking an answer to teams like that. I do think Obika would have made a difference, simply in relieving the pressure on the backline by providing an outlet.

That said, it's the first defeat in 8 games. Context.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 22:12:23 »

Yeah you are right. Didnt dawn on me until you said that. Hunt in packs then break forward at speed.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #146 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 22:13:51 »

If a promotion push next year is planned then we have got some serious rebuilding. If Doughty, Louis and Turnbull go back we need to replace them and we will loose Kasim.

I am not sure BOO and Barry are the answer at full back but we could go NT at RB so need another left back option. It's getting the right mix in midfield that will be key. Traore and Rodgers are too similar and we need some more dynamism and quality. Time for Power to find the next Luongo.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #147 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 22:15:06 »

I don't think anyone is giving Wigan enough credit in this thread. We were well beaten by a much better side. Hardly surprising given the disparity in resources.
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 22:16:10 »

"Yeah that little fucker Perkins for one. I've seen us play against him about 10 times, and he always plays well."

Youth teamer Tom Smith reminds me a little of him. Where has he disappeared to?

Not seen shambles that was their third goal back yet. Pretty sure i don't want to

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 22:16:31 »

I don't think anyone is giving Wigan enough credit in this thread. We were well beaten by a much better side. Hardly surprising given the disparity in resources.

If you read back through some have said that they were better. It takes a few hours to get a clear head after that mauling!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: