Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coventry City v Swindon Town match day Thread  (Read 21113 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 09:26:56 »

Doughty was a frustration, he clearly has talent but he's a lazy f****r who doesn't like a challenge.

Shocked
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 09:30:44 »

Doughty was a frustration, he clearly has talent but he's a lazy f****r who doesn't like a challenge.
Think you've spelt his name wrongly.

It's RODGERS
Panda Paws

« Reply #92 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 11:43:59 »

Just watched the highlights - expected Belford's save to be the second coming of Banks but, alas... If that goes in, you're going to be pretty pissed off.

The huge over-positive description of saves really pisses me off, particularly with commentators. A great save is one you wouldn't expect the keeper to make. Simple as that.

Other than that, looked like we were just slightly off our game going forward but pretty good at the back. Won't be many times Ajose, Obika and Doughty fail to create a clear cut chance.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #93 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 12:34:09 »

Just watched the highlights - expected Belford's save to be the second coming of Banks but, alas... If that goes in, you're going to be pretty pissed off.

The huge over-positive description of saves really pisses me off, particularly with commentators. A great save is one you wouldn't expect the keeper to make. Simple as that.

I wouldn't expect Belford to make a save if it was fired straight at his face
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #94 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 12:35:40 »

Panda Paws

« Reply #95 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 12:41:33 »

That's an excellent point.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 12:50:52 »

Ok I'm probably in the minority here but what has Belford done to warrant the stick he gets? Any player in a Swindon shirt who gives 100% will always get my support. Belford took his chance on Saturday, done what he had to do and the save at the end was top notch in the sense that he had bugger all to do in the 93 minutes before it, he could have easily been caught napping. Credit where due.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 13:09:02 »

Other than that, looked like we were just slightly off our game going forward but pretty good at the back. Won't be many times Ajose, Obika and Doughty fail to create a clear cut chance.
You had to be there - It looked relatively straightforward on the highlights (although a good save nonetheless). At the time though, viewed from the other end of the ground, it looked like a 'worldie'.

Regardless of its technical merits though, it was a vital save at a vital time. He did the business when called upon and can't do any more than that.

Just watched the extended highlights on the OS and I thought we looked very good apart from the end result (which is what I thought at the time but sometimes things look different when you watch them back - see the above point).
« Last Edit: Monday, March 21, 2016, 13:11:52 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #98 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 13:13:28 »

Just home from a weekend away in Northampton (the wife at a seminar there) so was my first game since Wembley so heres how I saw it.

Obika and Turbull were equal MoM for me, possibly JO just shading it, his pace was brilliant all game.
Both Thompsons class on and off the ball.
Sendles-White very solid and is a good acquisition.
BOO no right foot and got into 2 or 3 good positions when if he had a right foot would have scored I am sure.
Brophey eager when came on if a little off the pace but still good with the ball at his feet.
Barry solid going forward and defending but needs to cross the ball in faster at times, looked solid too.

Impressed with Doughty, is the strong running midfielder we have been missing, gave a few balls away but was not bad overall.
Not one of Ajose best games but he didn't do anything wrong he just was not in the box in his best position to score had to come deep to get the ball before passing it rather than being in the box hoping for a sniff of goal.
Belford played well, saved everything thrown at him and his late save from Henderson was very good, but he needs not to kick long quite so often.
Rodgers was a passenger most of the game and ducked away from tackles and headers more than he touched the ball, keep running backwards away from the opposition and going hiding, was definately our weakest player.
Robert when he came on looked too eager to impress trying a few tricks with little end product, his bicycle kick though had it hit the target could well have been a world class goal but looked off the pace a bit.

Turbull has picked up a bit of pace this season and Armstrong and Forune were no match for our defence as a unit.

We seemed to always be taking one too many pass in front of goal or trying to make an opening rather than belting the ball when the chance arose, Ajose probably guilty most of this.

Coventry fans were very quiet most of the game, the ground is too large for them currently but they have a large fan base so crowds will pick up when they start playing consistantly which they could.
Didn't realise Joe Cole was actually playing until he went off. Fortune for them was an absolute donkey with no control or pace and wayward shooting boots.

They were under the cosh almost all of the 1st half from our passing and running, we were first to the ball in midfield and at our back all the time.
Thier keeper looked shakey at times but all out shots were easily saveable height for him so was not overly bothered and had less to do than he should have had with the amount of possession we had close to his goal.

I am shocked the possession stats read something like 52% to us when I felt it was nearer 65-70%, first half must have been almost 80% to us, and the BBC site saying it was a "dour game" is not exactly true, it was entertaining even if there were few good chances for either side.

Loved the feel of the Ricoh Arena (my first visit there) even if it was only 1/3 full of home fans, but I think the picture of Jimmy Hill put their players off Wink

Special mention to Stephens at end, much respect for him.

I haven't heard Town fans so vocal for most of the game for many years and near 2.5k was a great turn out considering where we are in the table.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Chrystovski

« Reply #99 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 13:14:03 »

Think you've spelt his name wrongly.

It's RODGERS

Our whole midfield lacks bite, it has done for a few seasons.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 13:26:46 »

Where they the Henderson and Murphy that used to Don the red shirt?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman

« Reply #101 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 13:41:22 »

Where they the Henderson and Murphy that used to Don the red shirt?
They are both indeed the same. Coventry at the end had Stephens, Ricketts, Murphy and Henderson all ex Town players.

Henderson looks like he still has it even though hes twice the weight he was when with us.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 13:53:23 »

They are both indeed the same. Coventry at the end had Stephens, Ricketts, Murphy and Henderson all ex Town players.

Henderson looks like he still has it even though hes twice the weight he was when with us.

Are you serious? He was dreadful. Probably alarming for Coventry that he had their best chance!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #103 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 13:56:31 »

Are you serious? He was dreadful. Probably alarming for Coventry that he had their best chance!
I thought he was overweight but looked their best attacking player, Armstrong and Fortune both looked very poor, only when DH came on did they even look like they had an outlet up front.

Other than Stephens I would not take one of their players in swap for any of ours, they were very poor over all.

Henderson definately deserves the tag "journeyman striker" though.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 21, 2016, 13:58:10 by Peter Venkman » Logged

adje

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Monday, March 21, 2016, 14:17:14 »

Rickets!!? Fuck me we still couldn't score?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: