Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why not do a pay what you want day?  (Read 3555 times)
Brentford

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 23:26:37 »

http://arcticterntalk.org/2016/03/09/pay-what-you-want-for-a-football-match-why-not/
It is happening randomly in non league. Didcot are a good example, they had a FA cup run and want to grow their fan base. Brentford have done it a few times and once got the whole game v Peterborough sponsored by a single company for free entry.
spacey

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 23:46:29 »

It starts with 'pay what you want' and before you know it people are dressing up as anchovies to celebrate International Pizza Day. You introduce these schemes and it'll end up like workplace motivation. They'll be organising cake bakes and handing out a word search with every ticket in no time. It's a slippery slope.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 00:59:29 »

Default for a normal  would be a fiver. average take would be £2.43 pp. Nah i'd rather go to the works do for some fizz, nibbles and a boogie. And that I would never do  without an axe.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 11, 2016, 20:53:20 »

The majority of our fans would literally pay in mints encrusted with cat hair and pocket fluff, the miserable bastards. That's why.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 11, 2016, 22:12:25 »

Although an interesting concept, if we took it back one step what would people be prepared to pay to watch? I appreciate some of it will be linked to entertainment value, some will be linked to disposable income, but that aside, how much would you be prepared to pay and why?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 02:16:01 »

Although an interesting concept, if we took it back one step what would people be prepared to pay to watch? I appreciate some of it will be linked to entertainment value, some will be linked to disposable income, but that aside, how much would you be prepared to pay and why?

Back when we were in what is now the Championship, so prob around  96 or 97, I coached a kid's team in a Football in the Community tourney...prize for winning, 30 tickets for a game v Palace. I couldn't give them all away....it was our first season back at that level, and 3 weeks berore we'd had a crowd ot 6,700 for a game v Sarfend, which is slightly fewer than when we played them in Jan.

My point being that although there will be some who don't go because they can't afford it..it's not many. It's likely that if you offered say £1 for people to attend, there wouldn't be much up take. We've a game v Wigan coming up on Sky....we should try it.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 07:59:28 »

This is where the drickle down from the Premier League £30 away ticket capping could be dangerous. I heard some comments if the £20 is plenty is applied to the PL and Championship, then £15 in League 1 and £10 in League 2. Do people seriously think League 1 and 2 clubs could survive on capped ticket prices?

Players won't take a pay cut and one of the attractions to the casual supporter is that it's significantly cheaper than the £50 a game Premier League. Close that gap to £5-£10 a ticket and lower league football becomes less attractive.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 08:10:01 »

This is where the drickle down from the Premier League £30 away ticket capping could be dangerous. I heard some comments if the £20 is plenty is applied to the PL and Championship, then £15 in League 1 and £10 in League 2. Do people seriously think League 1 and 2 clubs could survive on capped ticket prices?

Players won't take a pay cut and one of the attractions to the casual supporter is that it's significantly cheaper than the £50 a game Premier League. Close that gap to £5-£10 a ticket and lower league football becomes less attractive.

Completely agree and a point I've raised myself. These fan groups demanding cheaper tickets support Prem teams and morons in the media like Stan Collymore only focus on the premier league.
When I questioned Collymore's continual harping on about £20 tickets and how the knock on effect would hit lower league clubs via Twitter he blocked me. Ha.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 08:11:39 by Arriba » Logged
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 08:45:51 »

It's easy for the Premiership clubs to do this, ticket money is a drop in the ocean to them.

If we halve the ticket prices then we effectively halve our income & therefore how much we can spend on our squad.

It's ok to say it's just for away fans, but how long before we here the complaints that home fans are paying much more than away fans and so home ticket prices need to be reduced in line.

History has told us that we won't double our attendances if we halve our prices.

So whilst the sentiment is great, I do believe that it is potentially a slippery slope to oblivion for the struggling lower league teams.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 10:50:42 »

We pay what we want....

We pay what we waaaaaaaaant!

Clems Army!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: