Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luke Williams  (Read 42232 times)
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 10:15:49 »

I think it was reported by many that Pards was actually a rolling single year deal and 8 years was just its full possible lenghth.

We also gave McMahon a five year deal. There is a link from here http://thewashbag.com/2016/03/10/luke-williams-the-hip-klopp-or-beardielsa/

Nice piece. The last bit is my only worry about this appointment - that at some point all football managers get sacked, and we shouldn't be sacking someone so integral to 'the project'.

But I think it's fair to say Power is not one to be easily swayed by external pressures (on anything!) so after giving him a five-year contract I'm confident he will stand by his man when an inevitable bad run surfaces.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 10:26:39 »

I was only a boy at the time, but I seem to remember Rikki Hunt absolutely worshipped Steve McMahon... so that doesn't seem surprising he gave him a 5 year deal!
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 10:39:52 »

LW is the only person at the club that would have been considered for a 5 year contract because as Power has stated "he is the Goose that lays the Golden egg".  he is the one that will be generating the transfer fees, whether he is managing the team or not.

It's a no brainer with limited risk, because as Venks pointed out, if it doesn't work out for him as manager, we still want him to carry on his head coaching duties anyway..  Good move all round for everyone involved.
Power handing out a 5 year contract and stating he wants to move away from the loan market and doing deals early...

Did he bump his head or something? This seems very un-Power like...

With regards to moving away from the loan system, he is being forced to do that anyway because of the rule changes next season, so this is less of a change for Power more of a re-direction of strategy due to the changing environment.

Two of the biggest complaints from fans have been the managerial situation and the fact that we have too many loans and therefore have to rebuild every season.  Both of these complaints have been addressed in the last 24 hours..

So, back to the important stuff.  When are they going to start selling Yorkshire tea?

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 10:54:16 »

I was only a boy at the time, but I seem to remember Rikki Hunt absolutely worshipped Steve McMahon... so that doesn't seem surprising he gave him a 5 year deal!
Both scousers - they worship their own!   Ultimately both failures (wi-fi Rikki?)!
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 10:56:10 »

That was a common theme at Swindon at one time.  Bert Head and the then chairmen were live-in lovers which was why he remained as manager for so long despite achieving nothing for the club.
Flashheart

« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 20:40:06 »

Listening to Power earlier, it was quite clearly that he is a tad frustrated.

I'm not saying it's necessarily the right or wrong thing to do, but I think that Power might be looking for a manager soon. I'm guessing he'd still want Williams to stay on as head coach (which is his job title)
Flashheart

« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 20:41:20 »

That's not necessarily what I want, just what I think might happen.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 20:41:35 »

I don't think it's looking good for LW. Not a great deal to feel optimistic about supporting Swindon at the moment.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 20:44:05 »

Wasn't at the game tonight because been at uni since Sunday. Problem is downto the STYLE of football -not sure if that comes from LW or Power but the whole possession football does not always work (particularly for a club of L1 ability). The defence has beeen an absolute shambles for last few seasons too, drop looking inevitable.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 20:54:08 »

Sherwood lurking in the wings wont make Williams confident.

I think he's had enough time to prove that managing isn't his thing
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 20:56:10 »

Williams won't leave the club, he'll either move sideways and work alongside someone or back to an assistant/coaching role. Unfortunately, Power will almost certainly stick with him for a good few months yet.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 20:58:39 »

Williams ain't a manager unfortunately so something really needs to change. Quite often good coaches don't make good managers.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 21:00:09 »

I think rookie managers need strong mentors. Our entire coaching set-up are products of development football which, I imagine, is a different environment in comparison to the senior set-up.

Williams had Mark Cooper.........
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 21:10:39 »

Another thing I've noticed is that Williams seems to close to the players, he's too friendly with them with some of them often seen out for meals together. It makes it very hard to rock the apple cart and make hard decisions when they are your friends.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 21:27:33 »

Lee Power needs to entirely shoulder the blame for this.

I agree Williams isn't a manager but with Power running the show who are we going to get?

We have won 4 in the last 20. If we do go down the tippy tappy stuff will be steamrollered in L2.

Time for Mr Power to go. Enough is enough were going backwards
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: