Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luke Williams  (Read 42783 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 08:34:21 »

Genuine question to everyone saying Power should go.... What happens next?

That Arab billionaire that has been sniffing around will take over obviously, or more likely another penniless chancer like Jed - people need to be careful what they wish for - we might be doing shit on the field but I cannot say I miss the monthly embargo's and administrations.

Its the lack of any sort of plan B which strangles us, even Andy Townsend (for gods sake) said on the radio the other night (when talking about Leatherhead I recall) that if you are not winning playing 'good' football you have to think why is it not happening and react, tighten things up and play to win for a while to get the mentality and then reassess when in a safer position.

Plus it appears that much like Roberto Matinez, Williams and Power just cannot put together nor coach a defence.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #91 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 09:13:17 »

That Arab billionaire that has been sniffing around will take over obviously, or more likely another penniless chancer like Jed - people need to be careful what they wish for - we might be doing shit on the field but I cannot say I miss the monthly embargo's and administrations.

Its the lack of any sort of plan B which strangles us, even Andy Townsend (for gods sake) said on the radio the other night (when talking about Leatherhead I recall) that if you are not winning playing 'good' football you have to think why is it not happening and react, tighten things up and play to win for a while to get the mentality and then reassess when in a safer position.

Plus it appears that much like Roberto Matinez, Williams and Power just cannot put together nor coach a defence.
Spot on with all of that.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 09:27:02 »

We are trying to be a bit more Plan B. For example Vigs now mostly kicks long, we've got a bit of aerial presence at both offensive and defensive corners and a bit of pace up front looking for the channels. Yesterday we tried to spoil the game after about an hour by time wasting, niggly fouls etc. it was embarrassing.

One of our main problems atm is that a large number of players just aren't fit....of last night's starting XI Furlong looks the only one with 2 games in a week in his legs. Some like Raffa, are operating on about 75%.  Now I don't know if this will improve or that fellas like Connor Thomas, have just been so reduced by injury, that it's then best they'll be.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 09:31:11 »

I kind of agree with Reg, a lot of them were shattered towards the end.

I don't think it's helped we haven't been able to really play with a settle squad of players yet either.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 09:34:22 »

Sadly, I don't think Luke Williams/Ross Embleton can improve from here. This is a great opportunity for them but we need more. I'm not sure Tim Sherwood represents 'more' though.

The squad is, for whatever the reason, getting weaker and weaker. I'm quite disappointed as we always seem quite close to the right formula without ever achieving success. We shouldn't strive to be League One fodder and, despite impressive soundbites, that's all we've been post-PNE.

Power appeared to work around the clock to secure the services of Nicky Ajose and sold him off for a frankly derogatory fee less than a year later (a laughable fee when compared to what other clubs in that position could command for a contracted player).  Whether or not this was Power/Williams' intention but the decision to sell Ajose and bring in a squad player from Gillingham and a spiralling former PL prospect has so far had the outcome of what would happen if you sell a 20+ goalscoring centre forward and replace him with a squad player from Gillingham and a former PL prospect dropping down the divisions. Funny that. I expect Zamora to rock up sooner rather than later to complete the holy trinity and that would go one of two ways.

I'm not calling for Power's departure but a rethink of philosophy across the board. It worked with the assistance of Tottenham Hotspur and other assorted contacts but a development based coaching staff and a couple of favours from QPR are not going to improve us.

Not normally so down on Swindon so early in the season but we're seeing the hallmarks of a standard shitty season.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 09:49:34 by Costanza » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 09:39:22 »

Fitness does seem to be a major issue in the last couple of seasons, more injuries at any one time than I have known in the 40+ years I have been watching Swindon.

Players don't seem to be able to keep going for 90+ minutes and so many injuries picked up in training and in games, is it the general fitness of the players or our training regime? who knows but it is getting silly.

Yes some injuries can be put down to bad luck...Doughty with his appendix and JSW with his ACL but some, like yesterday Brophy went off after "feeling a bit woozy" that isn't right.

lambourn red

« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 09:46:21 »

Fitness does seem to be a major issue in the last couple of seasons, more injuries at any one time than I have known in the 40+ years I have been watching Swindon.

Players don't seem to be able to keep going for 90+ minutes and so many injuries picked up in training and in games, is it the general fitness of the players or our training regime? who knows but it is getting silly.

Yes some injuries can be put down to bad luck...Doughty with his appendix and JSW with his ACL but some, like yesterday Brophy went off after "feeling a bit woozy" that isn't right.

If I remember rightly Brophy got a whack in the back of the head and was down for a minute or 2 getting treatment not long before half time I think the wovers player got booked for it so I suspect it was concussion.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 09:46:56 »

The tactics were wrong last night. Save a couple of 5 minute spells we looked like an away team going for a point. 1 men behind the ball for the most of the game and we started playing long.

We could do with a larger squad but I got the impression this was Williams trying something different and failing miserably.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 09:49:49 »

If I remember rightly Brophy got a whack in the back of the head and was down for a minute or 2 getting treatment not long before half time I think the wovers player got booked for it so I suspect it was concussion.
The "feeling a bit woozy" quote came from Ross Embleton at half time.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 09:53:44 by Peter Venkman » Logged

JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 10:13:39 »

Agree that fitness is a big issue... just read a stat that Man City and Liverpool have covered the most ground this year - which 2 teams are looking the best in the prem?
paul backskin

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 10:14:38 »

Just heard a rumour of local businessmen Jez Webb (webbs timber) and current supermarine chairman & James Phipps (Excalibur) interested in a takeover at SN1.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 10:16:02 »

The tactics were wrong last night. Save a couple of 5 minute spells we looked like an away team going for a point. 1 men behind the ball for the most of the game and we started playing long.

We could do with a larger squad but I got the impression this was Williams trying something different and failing miserably.
If we only had 1 man behind the ball, that might explain our defensive troubles.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 10:20:52 »

Just heard a rumour of local businessmen Jez Webb (webbs timber) and current supermarine chairman & James Phipps (Excalibur) interested in a takeover at SN1.

Don't get our hopes up  Angry
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 10:22:24 »

James is a fan, and relative of a friend, I haven't heard this rumour...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 10:25:35 »

James is a fan, and relative of a friend, I haven't heard this rumour...

In the present circumstances, there's bound to be plenty of rumours flying around.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: