Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luke Williams  (Read 42838 times)

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 12:38:54 »

The players are not being developed(apart from the odd exception). They've been that already. The football Swindon play is what they will have been brought up on in their respective academies.
What they lack is experience and that is what the club offer. It's an opportunity to play league football for players who probably wouldn't get the chance at the clubs we get them from. You can get lucky that way with some gems, likewise you can suffer for it. The trouble is they need to hit the ground running and that is hard. Especially when you're surrounded by players in the same situation. No old heads to guide them etc.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 12:41:18 by Arriba » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 13:06:25 »

But what we got to forward sell, season ticket sales are going down the shitter and Power is pissing people off left right and centre, if he had any aspirations of stripping (god forbid) or selling the club for an inflated fee based on future revenues he is making a shitty job of doing it.
Wasn't suggesting Power was about to start asset stripping, just warning it's dangerous to be blase that we're somehow immune from being attractive to the Agombars of this world.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 13:12:57 »

I'll tell you what I want - and it isn't guaranteed promotion flirting every season. I want to go and watch my team without always having the gnawing dread that a monumental cock-up isn't right around the corner.

Apart from maybe 1 or 2 seasons this has never been the case. And this is true for 95% of football teams too.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 13:13:14 »

1 of 2 things need to happen for anything to change which is either a sugar daddy that will throw money at the club
We tried that with Black and what happened there exposes the deficiencies of the sugar daddy model - when he gets bored, you're fucked and even more vulnerable to chancers because sugar daddies don't bother to build in sustainability so all too often the club's left with big debts to the sugar daddy, a massive wage bill it can't sustain without the "golden teat", and running costs likewise. We actually got lucky with Black in that he gave us a relatively soft landing in terms of the debt, albeit it was also a soft landing because he dropped us in the shit.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 13:49:01 »

Apart from maybe 1 or 2 seasons this has never been the case. And this is true for 95% of football teams too.
So you reckon 95% of clubs make the kind of cock-ups on the same scale we do, game in game out?

I haven't noticed.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 14:10:51 »

You'd be surprised mate. They may not occur as regularly as ours do but no fan of any club goes into a game knowing they won't make a mistake.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 14:19:10 »

Bit different from knowing that you will, though.

Of course, every player makes mistakes and I'm not pointing the finger specifically at any of ours.

It's the system we play that is the breeding ground for our howlers. I have no faith in Williams being able to fashion an effective method of play.

20-odd games surely proves that.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 15:03:50 »

Of course, every player makes mistakes and I'm not pointing the finger specifically at any of ours.

It's the system we play that is the breeding ground for our howlers. I have no faith in Williams being able to fashion an effective method of play.

Most attending fans go to mostly home games......last season, we had home form which was historically poor for our many seasons in Div 3.....damn near got us relegated but with Ajose's goals we managed to dig ourselves out of holes v notably Crewe, Blackpool, and Sarfend. Crewe and Blackpool both went down. It was close, probably turning those 3 round was key.

I agree with what you say, you'd hope that we might have learned something from that, and tightened up the home form, but the last 2 games shows we haven't. Rovers who are a very moderate outfit could easily have had 4 or 5, without really doing much.

Rovers themselves, like our other recent conquerors Oxford, have vividly demonstrated if poor standards are accepted you end up in the Conference.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 20:01:46 »

With Oldham coming upon Sat, Luke has an opportunity to show he can fashion an effective method.  A draw would be something....consider that since he's been involved we've played Oldham 6 times. lost 5 and had the one draw. Lost all 3 at Boundary Park.

It was pretty obvious, back in that 2-2 draw at the CG that Lee Johnson had our tactical measure, and the 5 defeats have shown that even though Johnson left....think it was Sheridan who did the same sort of job. However he's gone now.

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 21:03:56 »

I can't get this vision out of my head of you riding round on a unicycle blowing a party streamer whilst writing these posts Reg Wink
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 21:07:19 »

Nathan Thompson fucked up again at the back for their goal. Can Luke Williams really be blamed for that? Can he be blamed for Branco's clumsiness for the first?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 21:17:19 »

Nathan Thompson fucked up again at the back for their goal. Can Luke Williams really be blamed for that? Can he be blamed for Branco's clumsiness for the first?

I heard someone say "it's Williams' fault really though" after the OG.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 21:41:46 »

They had at least a dozen good chances. The game could have been over at half time.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 21:44:15 »

Our budget is decent enough at this level to enable at least a couple of experienced players who wont have a cash value to the club but who could shepherd the promising youngsters we do have.

This is my biggest gripe with our system, we're a good season away from being in one of Europe's top 5 divisions - attendance wise - surely we can find room for one CB between 26 and 32 years old and one other in either a CM or CF role with the necessary know-how to get through games like last night when it is obvious what we're doing wrong.

I believe Power is doing what he feels best for the club, he's not going to make money unless he does, but successful teams breed bigger transfer deals, we reaped that off the back of our last play off season but we got very lucky that season in terms of our goals against column. 

We could really do with an age appropriate Darren Ward or in an absolutely ideal world an Ian Culverhouse to talk our promising younger players through the game.  It just makes sense to allow for this in our setup to allow said younger players to get out there and do what they're good at in order for us to either move up a division or for them to at least be worth a decent fee individually.

As an aside, I'm starting to get seriously fed up with what i consider to be a poisonous fan base at the club, this may be my last season of a reasonable attendance rate as I'm looking to extend my 6 winter months in France to full time as I'm seriously looking into buying a bar in the Alps which would require a 12 month commitment. 

What upsets me is that I might not care about not being active anymore, the last 12 years I've been away from November onward I've missed going hugely but the last couple of months have been horrible. 

I can stand poor results here and there but things like that FB group I cannot.  For them to be up in arms that the club stopped people live streaming games  - which is absolutely illegal - and encouraging other people to be equally up in arms is disgusting and I'm starting to feel embarrassed that I associate myself, although loosely, with people like this. 
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 21:56:50 »

/thread
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: