Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Blackpool Official Matchday Thread  (Read 26384 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, February 21, 2016, 19:27:04 »

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is our shitness from corners.

We've had windy games just about every home game since October, so whenever we're attacking SB, we should be putting the opposition under pressure, but are corners are shite, and don't get me started on the fucking short corners. They are normally under hit, and cannot get past the front man, and I've lost how many times that the opposition has broke on us and nearly scored...after a shit corner. And don't get me started on our defending on corners. as proved yesterday. Blackpool hardly had a chance...yet they scored twice.

Rant over.
To be honest at all levels of football the basic ability to clear the first man on corners has became a dying art!
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, February 21, 2016, 19:43:50 »

Ajose obviously man of match but thought Fabien Robert had one of his more effective games. Flattered to deceive far less than normal and big threat running at Blackpool, and passing generally pretty incisive too. Although Blackpool penalty came from corner given away after his trick in midfield gave away possession after not coming off, and presumably was the reason for his substitution.

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, February 21, 2016, 19:50:01 »

Nicky Ajose made the League One team of the week in "The Football League Paper". Plays for Crewe according to them. Shame.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, February 21, 2016, 20:47:00 »

A game like last week that we would of lost earlier in the season.

That result keeps us safe in my mind. I'm relaxing...

Still don't know how two of them went in.

It certainly goes a long way towards safety, as we should be capable of picking up 10 or so points from the last 14.

It's interesting that after the first 16 games we were joint bottom with Crewe, on 13 points. Which means we've accumulated 29 points from the next 16....quite an improvement.

Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Sunday, February 21, 2016, 21:29:59 »

Nicky Ajose made the League One team of the week in "The Football League Paper". Plays for Crewe according to them. Shame.
Yeah, and according to the twat doing the commentary for Channel Five's shit show, Vigouroux was playing in goal for Blackpool.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, February 21, 2016, 21:56:39 »

It certainly goes a long way towards safety, as we should be capable of picking up 10 or so points from the last 14.

It's interesting that after the first 16 games we were joint bottom with Crewe, on 13 points. Which means we've accumulated 29 points from the next 16....quite an improvement.

Not far off 2 points a game, almost promotion form... Same form for the rest of the season would see us get to around the 67/68 point mark which is borderline play-offs. Blatantly not going to happen and we are nowhere near good enough to go up but does go to show the impact that our long injury list had on our season and despite all the hysteria over the lack of signings we have actually got a competitive team.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Sunday, February 21, 2016, 22:15:17 »

A bit of a strange comparison but there is a lot similar with what happened to us and man Utd currently. LVG trying to cope with 13 first team regulars injured, playing the kids who are struggling. Same debate we had, will changing the manager have any effect? The new manager will still have the same players available but when fit results should improve. Lots of ifs buts and maybes as always in football, I strongly believe getting rid of cooper was a good thing but at the same time I looked at the team of players he put out at our worst injury level and had sympathy.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, February 21, 2016, 22:22:04 »

A bit of a strange comparison but there is a lot similar with what happened to us and man Utd currently. LVG trying to cope with 13 first team regulars injured, playing the kids who are struggling. Same debate we had, will changing the manager have any effect? The new manager will still have the same players available but when fit results should improve. Lots of ifs buts and maybes as always in football, I strongly believe getting rid of cooper was a good thing but at the same time I looked at the team of players he put out at our worst injury level and had sympathy.

Fuck him.

Clems Army!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 09:15:18 »

The first 16 were with limited involvement from a certain Mr. Williams.

People can mock him all they want, but since his 'return' our form is promotion level.
Flashheart

« Reply #99 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 09:34:28 »

The season could have been very different if it were not for all those injuries and/or Cooper seemingly wanting to do things differently. Oh, well. There's nowt we can do about that now. After all the bitching and moaning about recruitment it seems we actually have a pretty decent squad that might do something with a couple of good additions. It's almost as though Power and Williams know what they're doing and know more than the fans. Imagine that.... football professionals knowing more about football than non-football professionals!

As much as I'd love promotion I can settle for a 2 year cycle. Other clubs, often bigger than us, also want promotion but there's only 3 places available. If people think that we should be challenging for promotion every season that they're fucking deluded. Even clubs on a large budget can need time to get a settled squad.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 09:57:57 »

The first 16 were with limited involvement from a certain Mr. Williams.

People can mock him all they want, but since his 'return' our form is promotion level.

Had the first 16 matched the next 16 we'd be right in the mix, but it didn't. When we hit 2nd bottom, then it needed PO form to get us out.

As for the 2 year cycle, that ws always going to be difficult given the turnover in the summer, and we have made a bit of progress, so that ideally we get to 52 asap, then can enjoy the rest of the campaign and give opportunities to some of the kids. 
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 10:16:14 »

The signing of Nicky Ajose has been a huge catalyst and the front 2 Ajika partnership is thriving.

I think Brad Barry after a difficult start has looked pretty decent. If he can improve the defensive side of his game he will be a very useful wingback as he is probably our assist king.

Brophy has looked good in patches and Iandolo seems to be a decent talent also. I think Louis Thompson and Doughty are very good central midfielders and Vigs is a great shot stopper and has great reflexes but could be better with the ball at his feet.

If we can sign Vigs and Doughty for next season, I think this will be a great basis for a much better squad next season.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 10:17:43 »

As much as I'd love promotion I can settle for a 2 year cycle. Other clubs, often bigger than us, also want promotion but there's only 3 places available. If people think that we should be challenging for promotion every season that they're fucking deluded. Even clubs on a large budget can need time to get a settled squad.

This is a very good point, if you think we can be disapointed with how this season has gone, how should likes of Shef U and Posh (assuming the table stays same) feel?

Hopefully this is a slightly more disappointing version of 2013/14, and next year can be a more successful version of 2014/15. Given who appears to be coming down from the Championship, I don't think this division will be particularly tougher next season compared to this -And certainly it'll be weaker than last.

If we keep the squad, Yaser aside, together and add wisely, I think we can hopefully challenge
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 10:31:48 »

This is a very good point, if you think we can be disapointed with how this season has gone, how should likes of Shef U and Posh (assuming the table stays same) feel?

Hopefully this is a slightly more disappointing version of 2013/14, and next year can be a more successful version of 2014/15. Given who appears to be coming down from the Championship, I don't think this division will be particularly tougher next season compared to this -And certainly it'll be weaker than last.

If we keep the squad, Yaser aside, together and add wisely, I think we can hopefully challenge

Looking at the potential teams coming down/going up, the geography could be pretty good next season as well. Charlton is a great away trip and although they have picked up recently there is a change Bristol City could come back down.

From league 2 there is a feast of southern based teams scrambling to come up - Northampton are walking the league and then you have Plymouth and our yellow friends in 2nd and 3rd. Competing for the play-offs are Rovers, Pompey, Orient, Wycombe, Wimbledon and Cambridge, so there could be some better away trips next season as well.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #104 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 11:20:51 »

Problem is the budget will likely have to be reduced next season if the amount of people not renewing season tickets on here is anything to go by.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: