Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Season Tickets 2016/2017  (Read 57102 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 08:44:15 »

Well, they will be if the new season doesn't herald something better that the last.

But that's nothing to do with prices - it's what happens to every club that struggles.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #136 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 08:54:24 »

Always been like this as long as i can remember. If Power sticks to the same policy which he will but he is as lucky as he was the season before last the attendances will be fine.

Look at the last game against Shrewsbury,poor season people not happy apparantly not going to any more games but a healthy attendance.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 08:55:02 »

It's all about momentum, and the club has poor momentum at this moment in time.  Unless the club wants to create that momentum, which costs money (e.g. bringing in Paolo or slashing ST prices like Bradford) which is not going to happen under the current model, then the only way to build the numbers back up is to start to build momentum.

Power has made it clear that he is not interested in the club engaging with the fans, and will only splash the cash on players if they are pretty much guaranteed to generate a decent profit.  This is fine, but unfortunately does not build momentum quickly so he shouldn't be surprised that there is a drop in take up on ST.  The only clear way he has to build that momentum in "his" model is to have a team playing well or providing results on the pitch.  This is risky because if you have a season like we did this year it has a knock on effect for the following year.

He can't have his cake and eat it.  Effectively he is putting the problem on LW's shoulders and asking him to build that momentum.  If you build it (an exciting team or a team that wins) they will come..

A risky strategy, but if it works he will not only be hailed a genius, but will see a decent profit for himself.  It is just a case of making it work.  Good luck Luke..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 09:41:21 »

Momentum is a British left-wing political organisation. It was founded in 2015 by Jon Lansman, four weeks after Jeremy Corbyn's successful campaign for the Labour Party leadership

Can't wait    Cheesy

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 09:55:15 »

Shit, I didn't realise I was campaigning for tree hugger Corbyn.  I need to find an alternative word to momentum, stat.  Cheesy

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #140 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 10:05:48 »

It's all about momentum, and the club has poor momentum at this moment in time.  Unless the club wants to create that momentum, which costs money (e.g. bringing in Paolo or slashing ST prices like Bradford) which is not going to happen under the current model, then the only way to build the numbers back up is to start to build momentum.

Power has made it clear that he is not interested in the club engaging with the fans, and will only splash the cash on players if they are pretty much guaranteed to generate a decent profit.  This is fine, but unfortunately does not build momentum quickly so he shouldn't be surprised that there is a drop in take up on ST.  The only clear way he has to build that momentum in "his" model is to have a team playing well or providing results on the pitch.  This is risky because if you have a season like we did this year it has a knock on effect for the following year.

He can't have his cake and eat it.  Effectively he is putting the problem on LW's shoulders and asking him to build that momentum.  If you build it (an exciting team or a team that wins) they will come..

A risky strategy, but if it works he will not only be hailed a genius, but will see a decent profit for himself.  It is just a case of making it work.  Good luck Luke..
It nearly worked the season before last i don't care what anyone says. I also maintain that yes Power does it on the cheap etc and has shit loads of flaws but it does piss me off just how easy last seasons injuries seem to get overlooked. I have no doubt our season would of been alot different with thoses players we didn't have. It wasn't one or two it was over half a team at times
Flashheart

« Reply #141 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 10:10:06 »

We had 10 first team players out at one point.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 10:10:19 »

Momentum, feel-good factor, club showing ambition, affordability, value for money, manager's political or religious ideology, the bloke who sits in front of me is a knob, etc - all reasons/excuses for buying a season ticket for the first time or not renewing...

It seems to me like fan mindset has become too complicated. Fine, if the price of a season ticket is too expensive (ie unaffordable or can't get to enough games), then end of story. However, if it is affordable, what is the use in applying criteria to the decision, other than STFC is the team I support and therefore I buy an STFC season ticket?

Football is too unpredictable to let chance (and even morals) criteria dictate your attendance and to let them affect the ultimate purpose of going to watch your team play football (enjoying success and accepting failure or mediocrity).

Power may be a crook syphoning swags of cash out of the club to spend on mountains of Toblerones, or he may be placing the club in a sound financial position that could actually make it more competitive when other clubs have to drastically rein in their spending. I thought Brophy was a waste of space for much of the season, but he is now one of the players I'm most looking forward to seeing next season. I hated Di Canio's fascism but his work ethic was admirable and the on-field success fantastic to witness. I was peeved when Shearer got sold and replaced with Terry Gibson. Jed's crew. I'm sure we can all come up with scores of examples that demonstrate negativity towards the club. But are they really justifiable reasons to not buy a season ticket for another completely unpredictable season?

Chrystovski

« Reply #143 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 11:01:47 »

I didn't renew for the simple reason is I've lost the buzz for home games.

In my opinion the football is pretty dull to watch and has been on and off for the last 18 months and the atmosphere is non existent. I do think the ethos of the club and Power's lack of PR skills has alot to do with this but that's been all said and done a thousand times.

I prefer away games, the atmosphere of them and having an all day  Pint sesh, which to me is just as the important as the game itself.

I cannot afford to do both so I will pick and choose my home and away games next season.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 11:26:05 »

But, you see, all the evidence is against you.  Attendances are generally what they were before the 18 months you talk of to a large extent and the football in the past has been much duller combined with actually being rubbish as well.

Plenty of people lapse every year, but new people come in behind them.

On an entirely personal level, I only had a season ticket once in my lifetime, the season Fitton slashed them.  I hated it, being in the same seat every game but with hassle to change it.  For me, paying on the day has always been my preferred option even if it means paying a little more overall.  The season ticket numbers are just returning to their historical average, someone should probably just let the club know this fact.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 11:53:55 »

Indeed, in the modern age, outside of one special season, we've only ever broken 5,500 once when Fitton slashed the price - we didn't even double the previous number.  Longer term, it's better for the club at the moment to have a low season ticket holder base and maintain a decent overall match day attendance.  Once they get other revenues back in their hands, then it can switch back.  I think they are only worried now because they'll be thinking this could mean lower matchday attendances as well.

If we had a good season, crowds would increase as it tends to do with most teams pushing for promotion, and if we got promoted to the championship that would see an increase in ST sales also
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 12:00:59 »

If we had a good season, crowds would increase as it tends to do with most teams pushing for promotion, and if we got promoted to the championship that would see an increase in ST sales also
We still have more season tickets than we did in the seasons leading to our one season in the top division (well, up to this past season).
Chrystovski

« Reply #147 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 13:19:17 »

But, you see, all the evidence is against you.  Attendances are generally what they were before the 18 months you talk of to a large extent and the football in the past has been much duller combined with actually being rubbish as well.

I meant my personal reason for not renewing is because the football has been dull for the last 18 months. The 13\14 season was much better to watch as was the previous 2 seasons before. I cannot talk for anyone else or attendances in general, just my own thoughts.

Cash is tight, so I thought why continue to pay for home games if I it's a struggle to enjoy, so I'll spread the cash between home & away games. Away games are still a buzz for me, few beers, decent company & the football (good or bad) is just a bonus.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 13:36:05 »

We still have more season tickets than we did in the seasons leading to our one season in the top division (well, up to this past season).

Not the best comparison though, our one year in the Premier League coincided with my first year at University and I remember prior to that it was decidedly unfashionable to like football as a late teenager, then the world changed, the PL came along and suddenly the world was awash with Man Utd supporters (I can never understand why so many of my generation are Man Utd supporters yet I didn't know any growing up!  Hmmm)

Now we have the peoples game and all that bollocks and football couldn't be more popular!

What were our season ticket sales and crowds like in the 1980's...... Reginald your are needed.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 14:06:18 »

Crowds in the 80's are a question that cant be answered with accuracy. You can look at the figures, but they were randomly made up. Most if not all clubs knocked a few hundred off, we were blatant and knocked 1000's off most games.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: