Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gary Neville  (Read 2184 times)
Levi lapper

« on: Tuesday, February 9, 2016, 19:08:25 »

Have to say I feel a little bit sorry for him.  Will he ever be taken seriously again as a pundit after failing so spectacularly at management and his inevitable sacking?

Maybe he should have started at Salford.  Hmmm
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 9, 2016, 19:18:58 »

I think he will be taken seriously as a pundit, because those credentials are unblemished.  But I hope it will serve as a wake up call to anyone who thinks that punditry, or even an excellent playing career, can pass as a substitute for working your way up the managerial ladder.

I wouldn't expect Gary Neville to start at the Salford Reds level.  But starting at the Swindon Town level, maybe, would not have been unreasonable.  Jumping straight in at Valencia was farcical.  Who was advising him?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 9, 2016, 19:25:43 »

It's been what, 16 games? At one club. Is he really a complete failure who'll never make it as a manager based on that?
The "he should have stuck to punditry" stuff annoys me. One because of the point I just made, and two because he had it made at Sky - far easier job, no stress, lots of money. I think good for him to have the balls to go out and try management, even if the appointment wasn't quite right. You can see why he'd struggle to turn it down.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 9, 2016, 19:39:28 by Ells » Logged

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 9, 2016, 20:31:23 »

Jumping straight in at Valencia was farcical.  Who was advising him?

He's a very good friend of the owner, Peter Lim (who is also involved with Salford). It was just a case of jobs for the boys.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 00:36:08 »

Gary Neville will by now know he has made a big mistake and that is thinking with no experience and pigeon Spanish he can waltz in and manage a big club with a hispanophone squad.  Not going to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: