Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The training ground.  (Read 68444 times)
Flashheart

« on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 19:06:33 »

It all sounds good, but how will having our own training ground translate to tangible results on and off the pitch for the club? From my somewhat ignorant viewpoint on the matter, a field with cones and balls is a field with cones and balls regardless.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 19:13:06 »

I don't think it will make any difference whatsoever. If the current model that the club operates in stays the same that is.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 19:39:32 »

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. Could be all wrong.

Better quality surfaces will help training - easy to pass on, learn on and having all-weather ones will help in winter when we currently seem to struggle.

Owning the pitches will mean they can be used more and more time spent on them - by players of all levels.

Having more pitches will mean the kids and first-team will be together. All can learn from each other and give manager/top coaches more sight of younger players for their development and younger coaches for their development. This can help integration between the teams for all. It will also help share ideas, technology, analysis etc within staff.

A single site will also allow the management to have more time with players before and after training especially if they can eat there - to control/oversea diet - but also just to talk about development of skills etc.

So not really a magic bullet but it should help considerably with a number of areas.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 19:51:14 »

Hopefully they will build a centre with eating facilities so the team can eat together and possibly have medical facilities?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 19:59:53 »

I think it could make a huge difference.  It's not just the training pitches.  It's about having a base, with all the facilities that go with it.

Like many, I'm a bit 'jury out' about LP's model at the moment.  We're one of the bigger clubs in our division in terms of catchment area and support base, but you wouldn't know it.  For that reason, I find LP's 'you have to remember this club's been in admin' quotes from the last few days a little disingenuous.  Bit of a cop out.  Most clubs at our level would love to have 7,500 coming through the gates each home game.  Ask Burton, or ask Walsall.

BUT...if he gets the training facility built, and runs the club sustainably (which I do support) while he does it, he'll have his legacy.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:14:19 »

I don't think it will make any difference whatsoever. If the current model that the club operates in stays the same that is.

What he said
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:16:59 »

my thought was better facilities make it easier to sell to loaning clubs and players I suppose. though perms probably don't choose club based on the training pitch..

I'm not saying that's why he bought it mind. that's probably for development of other bits of the land to make some cash, but we get the logistical benefits of everything in one place.

did I imagine it out did he say it's a couple of years away yet..
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:46:34 »

I think you are right. I assume it is based on the contract signed to use Calne for 3 years, plus the time it will take to put some basic facilities in. I'm hoping there is some provisional planning permission for artificial pitches, floodlights, out buildings etc otherwise it could be a very expensive piece of land with little development opportunity.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 21:20:10 »

That would have been checked prior to purchase going through due diligence. I doubt he got where he is without being careful.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 8, 2016, 12:26:43 »

Interesting to see what he does with the rest of the land, if he goes ahead with his holiday homes idea or if it gets used for something else that he can make money on - is it a matter of public record what he has paid for the golf course ?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 8, 2016, 12:33:34 »

I think you are right. I assume it is based on the contract signed to use Calne for 3 years, plus the time it will take to put some basic facilities in. I'm hoping there is some provisional planning permission for artificial pitches, floodlights, out buildings etc otherwise it could be a very expensive piece of land with little development opportunity.

6 months notice needed on the existing facilities   

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/14254861.Town_complete_training_ground_deal/

In terms of planning, very easy to check online if the site has an address?

Edit :Already has consent for some holiday lodges

http://pa1.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/files/51A35AAC83CAEFC86E4B3DE0143B4AAD/pdf/S_14_0823--505712.pdf
« Last Edit: Monday, February 8, 2016, 12:49:23 by horlock07 » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 8, 2016, 12:48:09 »

Interesting to see what he does with the rest of the land, if he goes ahead with his holiday homes idea or if it gets used for something else that he can make money on - is it a matter of public record what he has paid for the golf course ?

Was on the market for c.1.5m
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 8, 2016, 13:09:44 »

My understanding is that they hope to make enough progress to have at least some pre-season training on there in July 2016.  The clubhouse presently there is being retained and converted/extended (subject to pp) so there will be somewhere for eating purposes after training.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 8, 2016, 14:18:21 »

that's good then!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, February 8, 2016, 15:47:25 »

Who's going to volunteer to drive up there every couple of weeks for progress reports then?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: