Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: *SPOILER ALERT*: Making a murderer  (Read 9159 times)
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 15:38:51 »

Oh and how did avery get found innocent for burning the body but Dassey did?
Hoboken

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 18:10:08 »

Watched the whole thing yesterday , there are certainly some very strange goings on that may have been dubiously planted etc but I am still not sure that he did not do it.

Do you have more than reasonable doubt?
Amir

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 13:09:00 »

I don't think he's guilty. It's fair that some people do but unanimously and beyond reasonable doubt? That shocked me.

I've read about the evidence apparently omitted in the documentary and can see how that'd be persuasive, but it still doesn't change the terrible way the investigation was carried out. The way Brendan was interrogated, for example. Always suspected there was something dodgy about that prosecutor too, nice chat up lines he had!

The way the whole thing was run, I find it difficult to see how anyone can think him guilty or innocent. The worst thing for me in a lot of ways was the treatment and conviction of Brendan. How that can be acceptable with an obviously mentally challenged minor is beyond me, especially when it's all there to be seen and doesn't require a conspiracy theory. Plus, for all the wailing from his mother, why the fuck didn't she sit in those interviews?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 18:59:34 »

The way the whole thing was run, I find it difficult to see how anyone can think him guilty or innocent. The worst thing for me in a lot of ways was the treatment and conviction of Brendan. How that can be acceptable with an obviously mentally challenged minor is beyond me, especially when it's all there to be seen and doesn't require a conspiracy theory. Plus, for all the wailing from his mother, why the fuck didn't she sit in those interviews?

She said on at least one occasion she tried but they wouldn't let her. Not sure how true that is, but you can imagine her not knowing what to believe or what was best. At the end of the day most people aren't overly familiar with the system and how it works when your loved one is accused of murder.

You're right though, the treatment of Brendan was appalling. I am an anti death penalty advocate, and I know people will disagree with that, but I've conversed with people who've had similar or worse cognitive abilities and have ended up dead because they've "confessed" like he did. I can't see how anyone could be happy with that.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Amir

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 06:27:18 »

Fair point. I think I'd forgotten she said that because they later mentioned she'd declined the opportunity. She didn't seem like someone to take no for an answer, but I agree she would have been unlikely to know her rights.

How they could interview him without counsel present is also pretty unbelievable, not that his first lawyer would have done much good. And besides, the whole thing is there on video and yet the police, prosecutors, and family of the victim are all happy with it becuase it gives them what they want?

It also made me think of cases I've read about of people on death row, or who'd already been executed. Such a terrible system.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 19:51:18 »

It does seem a bit odd to have the original judges looking at the initial appeals.
As others have said, it seems very strange these chaps will spend their best years behind bars.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 15:30:21 »

Finished watching it today.
I think there is reasonable doubt at the very least.
Was a good watch regardless.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 16:42:54 »

Anyone listened to serial?

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 17:15:55 »

I watched another documentary on Netflix called the Central Park 5 which had similar connotations to this.

It does make the American police/detectives look very lazy in just picking up petty criminals and forcing confessions out of them. (I'm sure not ALL police do this)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 17:18:18 »

I watched another documentary on Netflix called the Central Park 5 which had similar connotations to this.

It does make the American police/detectives look very lazy in just picking up petty criminals and forcing confessions out of them. (I'm sure not ALL police do this)

Love that documentary! They all sound incredibly stoic considering what they've been through.
While I realise not every investigation is that bad, this is a country that has the death penalty..

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 17:25:09 »

Love that documentary! They all sound incredibly stoic considering what they've been through.
While I realise not every investigation is that bad, this is a country that has the death penalty..

The other one that springs to mind is West Memphis when the innocent prisoners come to some kind of deal whereby they admit they are 'guilty' to be free from prison after 20 years or so, again based on nothing circumstantial apart from forced confessions. The law can be odd sometimes!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 19:00:27 »

Have all you other amateur detectives watched The Jinx?

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 22:45:49 »

Yep.
Amazing stuff

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 14:41:11 »

Just finished it. Very good it was too.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 19:27:55 »

Anyone listened to serial?
Didn't see this first time around. Yes, it's V good. Annoying that Koenig focused on series 2 instead of recent happenings with series 1 material
(that doesn't give the game away does it?)

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: