Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Change to the 'National Anthem'  (Read 10596 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 16:05:40 »

Can't see this making 1k let alone 100k.

And did you think we really thought we'd get Sheena Easton in as manager  Roll Eyes
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 16:13:43 »

And did you think we really thought we'd get Sheena Easton in as manager  Roll Eyes

Don't suppose there is any news re the petition?

It needing to be approved rather defeats the idea the government like to peddle that you can have a petition and if it gets to 100k it may be debated, more you can have a petition - if we allow you to and then - if it gets to 100k we may debate it!
Flashheart

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 16:18:26 »

Don't suppose there is any news re the petition?

It needing to be approved rather defeats the idea the government like to peddle that you can have a petition and if it gets to 100k it may be debated, more you can have a petition - if we allow you to and then - if it gets to 100k we may debate it!

Could take a week before it's rejected before a decision's made. I really think the review is more to about filtering out the bullshit than censorship, I bet they get daft requests on a daily basis. Wouldn't surprise me if they see mine and think "not this one again"
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 16:22:04 »

Well?  Embarrassed
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 16:31:54 »

To anyone wavering, just imagine listening to this before an England Game, they could even walk out of the tunnel to it!

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 17:05:17 »

Hence building a new one, in England...

Down with those dark satanic mills!
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 17:51:22 »

I think a few people need to do a bit revision on their English literature! Jerusalem is not about Jerusalem, nor is it anything to do with religious fundamentalism. Blake was areligious, and was of a radical political disposition. Essentially he was lampooning English nationalism, imperialism and the established church. It has only become popular because of the bombastic tune set to it some hundred years later by Sir Hubert Parry. And before anyone goes for Land of Hope and Glory, Rlgar, who wrote the music before any lyrics were set for it, deeply disliked them.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 18:06:55 »

Land of hope and glory would be a great anthem, GSTQ has to be one of the worst European nations anthems going. Everything about it is terrible.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 18:11:56 »

Land of hope and glory would be a great anthem, GSTQ has to be one of the worst European nations anthems going. Everything about it is terrible.

Agreed on Land Of Hope And Glory.

It used to belong to American Wrestler called Randy "The Macho Man" Savage, but sadly he has died now so it would be okay for us to use it.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 19:41:02 »

'Land of Hope and Glory' is a great tune, but the lyrics are imperialist.  ('Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set; God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.')  Not really the right message for the 21st century.

For reasons above, I think 'Jerusalem' works much better.  It's about self-improvement and recognising that - with a bit of work/effort - things could be even better than they are.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 19:54:24 »

Well is seems to me that One  Step Beyond is clear favourite judging by the squabbling over those old shit tunes..
Sir red ken

« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 20:01:54 »

Seeing as the abolition of our current national anthem is just a commie ploy to do away with England altogether (Jack Straw the son of a ww2 coward said "the English are a race not worth saving") Should we change the English national to anything then it should be changed to.... I vow to the my country (Jupiter from the planets suit by Holtz) Wake up people your being erased from history by your own parliament.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 20:35:20 »

As a leftie can I just say I couldnt give a fuck about this issue.  But just to wind you up this should be the anthem

Never knowingly overstated.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 20:37:58 »

I think a few people need to do a bit revision on their English literature! Jerusalem is not about Jerusalem, nor is it anything to do with religious fundamentalism. Blake was areligious, and was of a radical political disposition. Essentially he was lampooning English nationalism, imperialism and the established church. It has only become popular because of the bombastic tune set to it some hundred years later by Sir Hubert Parry. And before anyone goes for Land of Hope and Glory, Rlgar, who wrote the music before any lyrics were set for it, deeply disliked them.

A song isn't literature, silly!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 22:24:25 »

As a leftie can I just say I couldnt give a fuck about this issue.  But just to wind you up this should be the anthem

Thought you'd go for New England.

Anyway, signed the petition. Should liven up the Trooping the Colour. Knees up boys!

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: