Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Change to the 'National Anthem'  (Read 10759 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 12:21:53 »

Done. But won't be able to get the validation email to validate it until this evening. So kind of half-done
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 12:22:43 »

Done and validated. In for a penny...
Flashheart

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 12:23:44 »

I have the 5 I need thanks, now to wait for it to be reviewed. It usually takes 'a week or less', apparently. Let's hope the reviewer is in a good mood. 
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 12:26:47 »

I for one am entirely serious, is it anymore of a 'joke' that the suggestion it should be Jerusalem?

Come on - 1 more and it goes live!

Is the Jerusalem suggestion part of the perition? I'm not signing that. Fucking dire song. And anybody who likes it is a fucking dick.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 12:28:33 »

Is the Jerusalem suggestion part of the perition? I'm not signing that. Fucking dire song. And anybody who likes it is a fucking dick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-35296296
Flashheart

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 12:32:17 »

No way, One Step Beyond only.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 12:33:11 »

Urgh.
 (at the article. One step beyond is a quality suggestion)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 12:37:59 »

Signed
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 15:21:29 »

Jerusalem is a brilliant anthem.  Listen to the words.  Nice enough place ('green & pleasant land') but definite room for improvement.  So don't give up striving for that ('nor shall my sword rest...') until you've made it better still ('built Jerusalem...').

The sentiment in that is everything an anthem should be.  Pride, but measured pride.  And a battle cry to build a better world.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 15:39:09 »

Jerusalem is a brilliant anthem.  Listen to the words.  Nice enough place ('green & pleasant land') but definite room for improvement.  So don't give up striving for that ('nor shall my sword rest...') until you've made it better still ('built Jerusalem...').

The sentiment in that is everything an anthem should be.  Pride, but measured pride.  And a battle cry to build a better world.

When I was a kid at school in the 50's, we used to belt these tunes out in assembly....we still had some Empire left and delusions of grandeur. 10% of GDP was spent on defence.

Suez and the pussillanimous response of the US to the Anglo/French invasion put paid to that....had the rule of law been followed and the canal which belonged jointly to the French and UK, after the Egyptians freely sold their shares, been kept in western hands, the world today might be a better place with JTR able to go on holiday.

I did like Heart of Oak though....Jerusalem being a bit too religious fundamentalist for my taste.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Oak#Lyrics
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 15:48:43 »

Can't see this making 1k let alone 100k.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 15:57:30 »

Jerusalem is a brilliant anthem.  Listen to the words.  Nice enough place ('green & pleasant land') but definite room for improvement.  So don't give up striving for that ('nor shall my sword rest...') until you've made it better still ('built Jerusalem...').

The sentiment in that is everything an anthem should be.  Pride, but measured pride.  And a battle cry to build a better world.

Jerusalem isn't even in England
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 15:58:41 »

But in what is apparently (depends who you speak to) becoming an ever more secular society, the reference to Jerusalem doesn't actually mean a great deal?

I always personally thought this was a good approach

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 16:00:36 »

Jerusalem isn't even in England

Hence building a new one, in England...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 16:03:25 »

Hence building a new one, in England...

Which is why I'm against....Jerusalem is a divided city between 3 fundamentalist religions, not the sort of thing we should be encouraging here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: