Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Gillingham Official Matchday Thread  (Read 23311 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 16:59:45 »

January will be a big month on and off the pitch in terms of games/points and what we do in the transfer market

The parallels with 10/11 are a bit scary, insofar as we had 28 points from 23 games going into the meaty part of the window.

Then it was the loss of a couple of key players, who weren't adequately replaced, which undermined us....we'll have to see how we look after January, before a similar scenario can be dismissed.  3 of our next 4 home games are against fellow strugglers, win the lot and we shoud be able to breath easy.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 18:43:49 »

The parallels with 10/11 are a bit scary, insofar as we had 28 points from 23 games going into the meaty part of the window.

Then it was the loss of a couple of key players, who weren't adequately replaced, which undermined us....we'll have to see how we look after January, before a similar scenario can be dismissed.  3 of our next 4 home games are against fellow strugglers, win the lot and we shoud be able to breath easy.

Luckily this time we don't really have any key players of any value..  Cheesy

Roaming the land while you sleep..
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 19:01:32 »

The season which we relied on Austin to score goals for us. As soon as he went we had no-one who could score. Ajose and Obika are perfectly capable and can't see them moving on in January.

Main worries are retaining Gladwin and Thompson till end of the season.

Think we're only likely to lose Kasim who based on yesterday's performance isn't a huge loss.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 19:06:57 »

Reg, what are your thoughts on tomorrow's trip to Burton given that we got beat there 2-0 during the PDC promotion season?

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 19:36:07 »

The season which we relied on Austin to score goals for us. As soon as he went we had no-one who could score. Ajose and Obika are perfectly capable and can't see them moving on in January.

Main worries are retaining Gladwin and Thompson till end of the season.

Think we're only likely to lose Kasim who based on yesterday's performance isn't a huge loss.

Gladwin and Louis have been key to our recent revival, we may lose them both, possibly El Abd also. So reasons to be worried without necessarily re-booting the panic button yet.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 19:44:39 »

Reg, what are your thoughts on tomorrow's trip to Burton given that we got beat there 2-0 during the PDC promotion season?

I dislike these away games against newly arrived "small" clubs, out of non league. We've got a pretty ropy record.

Fleetwood this season already being a fine specimen. Cheltnum  Suicide

I still have nightmares about the game v Rushden and Diamonds on Boxing Day some years ago.  Sad

Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 20:46:52 »

From a points and games perspective there is a parallel but there are a number of differences.

We have made the managerial change earlier in the season and it has made a difference so far.  Don't think anyone was in any doubt we were in the shit in October/November or we could be too good to go down.

The previously mentioned Fitton interview stated they should have got rid of Wilson after the Bournemouth Xmas defeat. We then won 4-2 at Charlton which bought him more time and convinced many we would push on which never happened.

As mentioned the squad this year is more balanced than the 2010/11 post window. Obika and Ajose offer more than Dossevi, Benton, Calvin Andrew or Obika 2010. The concern would be midfield if Louis and Gladwin go back but have they shown enough to suggest they will get loans above League 1?.

Agree the January games are the chance to put some clear light between the bottom 4. If we adopt the same application for the last few games we should be OK. 38-40 points by end of January would be a big step to safety.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 21:09:04 »

Of course no two seasons are the same. That we just don't know what will be happening with the squad in Jan, is the concern. If we had a stable squad then I'm sure we'd be OK, but we haven't.

It does make for the interest for this season mind.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 21:13:56 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 22:10:28 »

Of course no two seasons are the same. That we just don't know what will be happening with the squad in Jan, is the concern. If we had a stable squad then I'm sure we'd be OK, but we haven't.

It does make for the interest for this season mind.

There is very little else.
The buzz has left a few...

If any offer comes in for Kassim, we should take it, a shadow of last season.

Clems Army!
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 23:04:40 »

j

I am offended.

Suffering? Getting beat by Gills is no disgrace.

Under the 'previous manager' we were getting beaten like that by shit sides.

I am hopeful we will end up just about where we are now.

Apologies Cheesy just kill it with the awful nicknames please!

I'd say suffering, yes, because from what I've heard we put in abysmal performance. No one has said "well, they were simply the better team", they've said we were gutless, which is not nice to watch.

That said, why on earth some people insist on comparing our season to previous ones or a mathematical blueprint I've no idea. The only numbers that mean anything are the ones in the table, not the potential numbers, and comparing the team to one under a completely different regime and with completely different players is something people do all the time but seems to me to be incredibly pointless.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 23:21:57 »

That said, why on earth some people insist on comparing our season to previous ones or a mathematical blueprint I've no idea. The only numbers that mean anything are the ones in the table, not the potential numbers, and comparing the team to one under a completely different regime and with completely different players is something people do all the time but seems to me to be incredibly pointless.

Makes me laugh how Reg predictably picked out a season where it went wrong and ignores other multiple seasons of similar points, after similar number of games, where we end up nowhere near relegation zone
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 23:22:10 »

I think a fair few gave them credit for being the better side. The defining game for me 10/11 was orient away, awful awful team out that night. And karma does worry me a bit that our main striker that night was Obika Wink
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Monday, December 28, 2015, 00:10:02 »

I think a fair few gave them credit for being the better side. The defining game for me 10/11 was orient away, awful awful team out that night. And karma does worry me a bit that our main striker that night was Obika Wink

I didn't mean no one said they were the better side, I meant no one had said "we were beaten by a better team but we gave it our best and deserved to lose", which is tolerable. They've said they were the better team and we weren't even in the game. Very different!

Makes me laugh how Reg predictably picked out a season where it went wrong and ignores other multiple seasons of similar points, after similar number of games, where we end up nowhere near relegation zone

Quite. Who'd watch it if it was that bloody predictable?

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Talk Talk

« Reply #103 on: Monday, December 28, 2015, 00:18:14 »

Quite. Who'd watch it if it was that bloody predictable?

Reg.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Monday, December 28, 2015, 09:19:54 »

just to add my twopenneth of comparisons. this squad overall is far worse than the 2010/11 season - attackers aside.

that doesn't mean it can't succeed though. 2010/11 had a bunch of capable but disinterested arseholes . this years only has one.

whilst our defensive frailties remain, I'll continue to be cautious. we look like we may have turned that around recently though , ignoring gills and Fleetwood.

January is going to be very interesting indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: