Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: classic matches days amd memories  (Read 5043 times)
swindontownfc08

Ignore
« on: Sunday, September 27, 2015, 17:43:06 »

Does any one remember the dates and the team Swindon played in the 70s  afternoon midweek ko  due to power cuts
score and team please and date want to find the programme on ebay  please
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 27, 2015, 18:10:02 »

I think there were two league games.  Notts C and Luton, lost both.  1-4 and 0-2 in front of dreadful crowds.  1974, pretty sure it must have been Feb.  I think that there was a proper programme for Notts C but Luton was definitely just a printed sheet. 

We also played Portsmouth on a Jan afternoon in a FA 3rd round replay.  Lost 0-1. Also a printed sheet.  Unbelievably at a time when towns were on different 3 day week rotas we played the game on a day when Swindon was working and Portsmouth weren't.  Even then the club was run by people with tiny tiny brains.

That should be enough for you to find dates online.   
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 27, 2015, 19:43:40 »

I think there were two league games.  Notts C and Luton, lost both.  1-4 and 0-2 in front of dreadful crowds.  1974, pretty sure it must have been Feb.  I think that there was a proper programme for Notts C but Luton was definitely just a printed sheet. 

We also played Portsmouth on a Jan afternoon in a FA 3rd round replay.  Lost 0-1. Also a printed sheet.  Unbelievably at a time when towns were on different 3 day week rotas we played the game on a day when Swindon was working and Portsmouth weren't.  Even then the club was run by people with tiny tiny brains.

That should be enough for you to find dates online.   

The Pompey cup game still had a crowd of 10,000+

I was at the initial game, which finished 3-3, Pompey equalised with a last minute pen.

It was the first time I'd seen a dive. Bobby Kellard was the villain, copying a practice alien to English football, but made popular by Francis Lee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: