Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Loan signings  (Read 5804 times)
Skinny Pete

« on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 09:47:06 »

Interesting stat on Sky. In L1 and L2 the clubs with the most loan signings are all struggling at the bottom of their respective leagues.

Kevin Stewart is back any day now and the Spanish youngster (?) will be another one come January.

To me the philosophy of maximum loans with a need to sell players to survive just don't add up. 5 loans in a team reduces the opportunities for 'owned' players a chance to put themselves in the shop window.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 10:16:04 »

Would like to see Robert start ahead of Gladwin on Saturday.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 10:23:47 »

Interesting stat on Sky. In L1 and L2 the clubs with the most loan signings are all struggling at the bottom of their respective leagues.

Kevin Stewart is back any day now and the Spanish youngster (?) will be another one come January.

To me the philosophy of maximum loans with a need to sell players to survive just don't add up. 5 loans in a team reduces the opportunities for 'owned' players a chance to put themselves in the shop window.

I can see why though. You get reduced price players who potentially have a lot of quality. Would we have finished 4th without the loan players last season? No chance. And there's no way we could afford that type of player usually. Even the season before last, we weren't too far off the playoffs and we wouldn't have been anywhere near if it wasn't for the likes of Pritchard.

At the end of the day, our club doesn't make much money and the people of Swindon are pretty apathetic towards their own team. That's why we have to take a chance on youngsters and take punts on players like Brophy, Gladwin. I don't blame Power at all for trying to run the club sufficiently, the only thing that bothers me is why there seems to be no plans at all to push ourselves on. I know we'll probably always be a 3rd tier club, probably with a dip into the depths every now and then, but I'm finding it hard to forgive the lack of ambition.

I spend a lot of my time in Reading these days and I envy them. They market the club well, it has a real sense of community and lets be honest, they have a pretty decent stadium. I know it gets called soulless, but it's a fuck load noisier than the County Ground.
DRS

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 10:24:14 »

It wasn't an issue the last 2 seasons
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 10:45:51 »

loan players are calculated punts. sometimes you get favours with the likes of mason, Pritchard and luongo from Sherwood/Tottenham. sometimes you get the next big thing like Slabber/Nouble, who turn out to be turd .

I'm more disappointed by our seeming lack of plan/quality targets on the permanent recruitment front.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:29:49 »

It wasn't an issue the last 2 seasons
That's because our permanent signings provided the impetus to launch a promotion bid. We didn't manage that because of the loans but because of Luongo, Byrne, Gladwin, Kasim, Fods, Smith, Obika, N. Thompson
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:33:49 »

Would that be the Luongo, Byrne, Obika and Foderingham that originally joined the club... on loan?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:33:59 »

loan players are calculated punts
Rhyming slang?
Skinny Pete

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:38:01 »

Would that be the Luongo, Byrne, Obika and Foderingham that originally joined the club... on loan?
Of course, but we're comparing the team last season when they were permanent. Byrne didn't impress too many when on loan.

My point is that if we rely on selling players to survive then stuffing the squad with 5 loans reduces the opportunities for own p!ayers to shine for a possible future profit.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:38:59 »

Of course, but we're comparing the team last season when they were permanent. Byrne didn't impress too many when on loan.

My point is that if we rely on selling players to survive then stuffing the squad with 5 loans reduces the opportunities for own p!ayers to shine for a possible future profit.

Do you not think any of the current loanees might be available to join on a permanent deal? Thomas and El-Abd are almost certainly lined up, and I believe we put a bid in for Vigoroux before?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:41:48 »

loan players are included in the plan to survive. We don't pay much for them, and in return we potentially get a player of a decent quality.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:51:51 »

Do you not think any of the current loanees might be available to join on a permanent deal? Thomas and El-Abd are almost certainly lined up, and I believe we put a bid in for Vigoroux before?
Sure, but we can see already that they will never be a cash cow for the club as last season's players were.

I think last season was an exception with the combo of loans/permanents. The chance of replicating that on a regular basis is slim.

I'm more disappointed that we seem to be shunning our own young players
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:52:35 »

I have no issue with loan players, we've had some bloody good ones over the years.  However, this season we've brought in too many, which is now causing selection problems for Ling.  

It doesn't say much about the quality of some of our permanent players when 6 of the starting 11 would be loans if that was possible.  As others have said, there doesn't seem to be any plan for improving on this, which is a concern.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:53:14 »

Sure, but we can see already that they will never be a cash cow for the club as last season's players were.

I agree to a point, but aren't you undermining your own previous point about Byrne looking no great shakes when he was here on loan? He went for seven figures.

The two Liverpool outfield lads showed a bit before they were injured, and we know Turnbull can look very good in a more settled defensive setup.
Talk Talk

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:54:06 »

Rhyming slang?

I read that as a spoonerism. Can't find "palculated" in the dictionary though.

Could also be a malapropism I suppose...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: