Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Favourite secret place  (Read 7194 times)
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 09:56:25 »

13.279mil in Mumbai. I WIN!

Flashheart

« Reply #16 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 10:07:31 »

A re-calibrated attack in Tokyo gives me 13,434,660
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 10:20:19 »

Aiming at Eden Gardens in Calcutta gives me 13,513,730...

Now I win.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #18 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 10:41:35 »

A re-calibrated attack in Tokyo gives me 13,434,660

13.979m is the best I can get here
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #19 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 13:20:10 »

You guys using custom payloads? I juts picked the biggest Russian badboy from the drop down.
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 14:42:53 »

You guys using custom payloads? I juts picked the biggest Russian badboy from the drop down.

The big Russian one is the most the model can handle. Put in 200000 and you'll get the message.

Try that bomb on Delhi, but surface rather than airburst.
Chrystovski

« Reply #21 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 15:01:09 »

Tokyo - 18.3 Mil
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 16:29:05 »

Wouldn't let me do Bristol. Pop up box says the place is improved enough already.
Talk Talk

« Reply #23 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 16:39:17 »

Interestingly (or not, depending upon your perspective), both the US and the USSR gave up on single multi-megaton weapons quite early on in the arms race, in the late 50's. MIRV (multiple independently retargetable entry vehicles) systems like Polaris - and then Trident - gave firstly a much better chance of breaching anti-ballistic missile systems plus secondly a shedload of smaller (approx. 500kt) warheads is much more effective in vapourising an insanely larger number of people.

The largest bomb in that model was a dick waving exercise by Stalin, tested at 50Mt it had an optional third fusion stage that was the 100Mt version which fortunately was never tried out. In terms of how many more worldwide cancers would have resulted.

Nuclear weapons are totally sick but I find the history and physics intensely fascinating.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 16:41:45 »

Interestingly (or not, depending upon your perspective), both the US and the USSR gave up on single multi-megaton weapons quite early on in the arms race, in the late 50's. MIRV (multiple independently retargetable entry vehicles) systems like Polaris - and then Trident - gave firstly a much better chance of breaching anti-ballistic missile systems plus secondly a shedload of smaller (approx. 500kt) warheads is much more effective in vapourising an insanely larger number of people.

The largest bomb in that model was a dick waving exercise by Stalin, tested at 50Mt it had an optional third fusion stage that was the 100Mt version which fortunately was never tried out. In terms of how many more worldwide cancers would have resulted.

Nuclear weapons are totally sick but I find the history and physics intensely fascinating.

The bill for Trident has just gone up by £6 billion....
Talk Talk

« Reply #25 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 17:11:42 »

I'm not going to get into the politics of this as it's a waste of time but it is a fact that no nuclear weapon equipped nation has ever been attacked by another country, even one with their own stockpile.

If anybody is interested in this stuff, the definitive site is:

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/

And just some info around these horrible things and how powerful they became.

Fat Man that obliterated Nagasaki, 21kt:

Tsar Bomba, that insane 50/100Mt replication of hell on Earth:

It was so massive it had to be carried outside the largest Russian bomber:

Even more scary is the minaturisation that has continued over the years. This is a W80 cruise missile warhead, 170-200kt yield, still 1,400 deployed. That's a ten times bigger bang than Fat Man:

Coming full circle to Trident:

Trident II D-5
Missiles: 58    Warhead loading: 1-6 x 100kt    Warhead number: 192    Total yield (Mt equiv): 41.4

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Uk/UKArsenalRecent.html
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 17:20:05 »

Pretty much correct Talk Talk. The reason for MIRVs is that they give a larger area of destruction. A one megaton bomb will destroy 80 square kilometres, but 8 X 125 kilotons will destroy 160 square kilometres. Destructive power diminishes as a square of the distance from ground zero.
Talk Talk

« Reply #27 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 17:26:49 »

Pretty much correct Talk Talk. The reason for MIRVs is that they give a larger area of destruction. A one megaton bomb will destroy 80 square kilometres, but 8 X 125 kilotons will destroy 160 square kilometres. Destructive power diminishes as a square of the distance from ground zero.

You wouldn't happen to work within the Newbury/Reading/Basingstoke triangle would you?

Hmmm
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 17:32:08 »

Exactly, how many countries could build these things but choose not too? They all seem to be doing OK.
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 17:35:59 »

You wouldn't happen to work within the Newbury/Reading/Basingstoke triangle would you?

Hmmm

No I don't, I am interested in science, like you. I've been lucky to work in some great places.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: