Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Q For secondary school teacher(s) KS2->Expected GCSE mapping  (Read 1369 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« on: Thursday, November 19, 2015, 18:49:04 »

I believe we have a secondary school teacher on here don't we?

So, my eldest got his first tracked report from secondary school today (year 7). Now I don't think that the reports mean owt this early in his secondary school life. But one thing has me perplexed as it wasn't explained too well.

He has a "expected GCSE grade". As I understand it that's a minimum the Government think the school should get him to in year 11. This is based off KS2 results.

These grades were "4" across the board. Which apparently translates as a "D".

In KS2 he achieved 4 for writing and a 4 for reading moderated up to a 5. And a 5 for maths. Unfortunately I don't have the divisions within those bands.

So my impression is that he was working at or above average at KS2. Yet I don't view a D as average at GCSE, which historical data backs up.

So how the bloody hell does this mapping actually work. I can only find tables for 2010. I guess it has to have been averaged across all subjects too, and given some bloody odd "one expected grade fits all".

I will email the school to ask the same question but Huh?
----
As long as he does his best that's fine BTW Smiley

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 19, 2015, 19:29:41 »

Just been to parent evening for my year 7 as well.  She's done pretty well.  The thing I noticed was that a couple of the teachers when they mentioned levels then said, well we're not really looking at levels as the government want to get rid of them.

Whats the latest big idea bollocks from the government then?  Tell us teachers.

Never knowingly overstated.
Essexred

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 19, 2015, 19:30:28 »

The system does not work... Yet. My advice would be to ignore it for the moment until the school works it all out. The government has left schools in the shit and everyone is learning as we go. The govt are feeding schools new info all the time which changes what we have in place. In short, it's a shambles. I have totally ignored the grades on my son's report as I know it means sod all. He has had effort and behaviour grades as well which is what we've focused on. Not a great deal of help I know- speak to the school and see what they say.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 19, 2015, 19:32:45 »

Thanks.
Essexred

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 19, 2015, 19:35:23 »

If you can find out his KS2 results with sub levels I'll have a look tomorrow and see what our 'system' would predict- be interesting to see if it says the same grade.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 19, 2015, 19:42:09 »

Yeah, had a quick look around, can't find them yet. Wouldn't you need the fine grade score rather than a/b/c, which we don't have?

I doubt its wrong, as I said just thought based off what I **thought** his KS2 meant he'd have been predicted average->above average GCSE.

As already said, it means fuck all. I'm sure the school will stream according to actual achievement.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 19, 2015, 19:44:02 by Batch » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 20, 2015, 11:05:57 »

I've had a detailed response from Lydiard - very impressed with how they follow things up.

There was a miscommunication and a 4 is in fact a low C, not a D.

The system is indeed a mix of KS2 and CAT test results, and maps to a single level that is used for the "expected".

In January an external entity will provide the "expected" results, and this will factor in subject specific KS2 so they will shift around a bit.

never thought he was Einstein, but the D didn't make sense. In any case it about getting the best grade he can be it an A* or E

Makes much more sense now!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: