Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Railway Village, Swindon  (Read 6308 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 21:24:59 »

Hid in a back garden  in the Village,after a few of us got chased by a minibus full of Pompey.
Must have been late 70s,as it was a Leyland Sherpa.
As an aside,went to Beerex at the Mechanics institute.Still got the 1/2 pint glass.

The years that the Beerex was in the Mechanics were ace....the fact that the place was run down suited well as the plain wooden floor could happily handle the spillage and puke, that abounded.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 21:30:05 »

How about the current and past pubs in the Village? The Glue Pot is a decent pub if you don't like lager The Bakers was a wonderful pub full of character(s). The Cricketers has a fantastic history as a Bikers' pub, a gay pub but not sure what it's clientele is like now. Are there any other lost pubs from the Village?

A tale oft told to me by my Dad - in the old days if you went in and asked for a lager you'd be called a girl and told where to go.

While I don't agree with the sexism, the sentiment I think is laudable.
If you come in to drink Fosters et al. you don't belong in a proper pub.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Combe Down

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 21:46:51 »

Is there still a house that's been kept exactly like the old days? like a museum? I remember going there on a school trip

Reg should do the same thing with his house.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 21:47:13 »

How about the current and past pubs in the Village? The Glue Pot is a decent pub if you don't like lager. The Bakers was a wonderful pub full of character(s). The Cricketers has a fantastic history as a Bikers' pub, a gay pub but not sure what it's clientele is like now. Are there any other lost pubs from the Village?

Love the Glue Pot, usually start there on a night out around the (ever diminishing) backstreet pubs.

The Cricketers is just a normal pub now, no niche that I know of.

The Bakers unfortunately closed a year or two ago. A group of us stumbled in there by accident on a night out and had the little room out the back with the pool table to ourselves and had a great night playing killer, etc. Shame that closed.
Combe Down

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 21:53:49 »

I often think that the old railway buildings along London Street would be great for boutiques etc. It's on the walk from Swindon station to the tunnel to the Outlet / National Front etc so would be good for passing trade.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 21:56:02 »

I assume you mean National Trust Smiley Yeah that's by the Outlet as is English Heritage/Historic England (my wife works here)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 22:58:28 »

I often think that the old railway buildings along London Street would be great for boutiques etc. It's on the walk from Swindon station to the tunnel to the Outlet / National Front etc so would be good for passing trade.

Isn't that Bristol Street?  Huh?
Combe Down

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 23:04:06 »

No, that's to the west of the tunnel to the Outlet. London Street is to the east of it. Logical really.
Mrs Miggins

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 10:56:56 »

I actually own one of the cottages on the west side of the RV, nearer the park and its OK.  There are definitely 2 sides to the RV, split by the mechanics institute.  On the east side of the RV (nearer the station) it's a little less salubrious as there are a lot of flats/bedsits with single occupancy & yes there are "issues" there.  To  the west, (nearer Faringdon Road Park) which is 1 & 2 bed houses it is a lot nicer.  A lot of older residents yes, but also quite a broad mix of people both owner occupiers and tenants.

The Trust have been doing a lot of work recently to the outside of the community centre - which is starting to look really good & I believe they are/have turned the old Bakers pub into some sort of community hub/cafe.  The development of the UTC in Bristol Street has certainly helped improve the look of the area.
Combe Down

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 12:13:03 »

Woooo! Talk about living on the wrong side of the tracks (Mechs)! RV snob rivalry: 'we're the west side, we're the west side...'.

The community centre certainly has a good record fair every month. The Platform seems to be used well but nothing for me. Isn't UTC in trouble numbers wise? See http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14021911.Questions_raised_over_low_UTC_numbers/
Mrs Miggins

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 12:39:12 »

Railway Village snobbery, quite possibly  Wink . Just my opinion though. Also a case of "You have to live here, I get to go home" maybe?  Cheesy
I had read the article re the UTC figures & will  be interesting to see if things pick up there.  Meant to mention in last post that the Cricketers pub appears to have closed again.  Not noticed it open in the last week or two, but not heard anything to that effect.  There were always people using it, although it never seemed to be particularly busy
Combe Down

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, November 19, 2015, 04:24:36 »

The new bus route pass the Cricks is well weird. Can't be good for the residents down that way noisewise.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: