Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Damp Proofing  (Read 4831 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, November 12, 2015, 23:50:10 »

Had survey done for a house. It's an old Tom Turner Old Town type.
Survey suggest damp proof maybe breaking down as some high level readings.
No visable signs though.

Difficult to get a rough cost at the moment as I think companies need to do their own surveys.
I just want to know if it's going to be closer to £500 or £5k but loathed to pay them for a survey and then get charged a huge amount.

Been recommended Damp Cure and Remtec so far but no idea what kind of price they charge

Don't believe them. If no signs you haven't got it, we had 3 surveys all showed damp in different places, we had none...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, November 13, 2015, 00:18:55 »

First one's near Angers (Ecouflant to be precise)....second one's in Ste Gemme la Plaine (La Vendée).

Nice. Bit windy.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, November 13, 2015, 17:33:28 »

Suicide
Nice. Bit windy.
And damp.. Cool
Levi lapper

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 06:44:06 »

There is no such thing as rising Damp (except the excellent tv series) it is a massive con. Damp does not "rise" it is either condensation or penetrating damp. Absolute scam.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 10:43:06 »

Why do houses have damp courses then brainiac?
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 10:58:36 »

First one's near Angers (Ecouflant to be precise)....second one's in Ste Gemme la Plaine (La Vendée).

I've got a place just down the road from you in Angles, nr la Tranche. It's also got damp problems caused by lack of ventilation. Just put it down to lack of use. Nice part of the world though.
kaufman

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 11:08:39 »

Update.
Spoke to two companies, one kindly came round for nothing and did meter tests. One larger company wanted £150 to do a survey and then that amount would come off any work done. Easy decision not to use them.

Nice chap came round and confirmed yep there's damp but interestingly he shared the view of the other recommended company I spoke to, saying just get the heating on, vent it out and see where you are then.

Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 12:44:36 »

Which kind of contradicts his confirmation that there is damp....unless by "damp" he means condensation.
kaufman

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 14:18:00 »

Yes I think he's saying there's a build up of moisture but until the house is lived in he's not going to be able to get a true reading.

So that's the plan.
Levi lapper

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 16:09:45 »

Why do houses have damp courses then brainiac?

Because its a con - houses in holland don't have damp proof courses loads of old houses don't have damp proofing either, an academic has been building brick walls in tanks of water for years and has only seen capillary action of damp rising up brickwork where specific bricks and mortar were used - he tried for years to get it to happen. It is a con.

"Rising damp" can 99% of the time  be explained by condensation, a water leak, or penetrating damp from failing guttering etc, it dosent rise up your wall and penetrate your house.

Don't take my word for it google it

« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 16:17:54 by Levi lapper » Logged
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 17:14:12 »

Interesting. I stand corrected.
Talk Talk

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 21:19:08 »

An academic has been building brick walls in tanks of water for years and has only seen capillary action of damp rising up brickwork where specific bricks and mortar were used - he tried for years to get it to happen. It is a con.

Have you got any links for this persistent academic? I'm really interested, seeing as I got caned for a damp course way back...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: