Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Vs Scunthorpe United Official Match day Thread  (Read 24790 times)
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, November 16, 2015, 19:52:49 »

The 80% bollocks quota is certainly being filled this season.
Iron my shirt The irony.....no-one could accuse Chang of having no sense of humour.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Monday, November 16, 2015, 19:56:34 »

Another problem is the contracts behind them.

Vigs                       - Season & has to play or we pay
Stewart                  - Season & has to play or we pay
Williams                 - Season & has to play or we pay

Turnbull                 - Season
Wes Thomas           - Jan
El Abd                    - Jan ??
Louis Thompson      - 18th Dec
Gladwin                  - Jan+

Hmmm Hmmm

Roaming the land while you sleep..
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Monday, November 16, 2015, 22:14:18 »

How do you know they have to play?

Vigeroux didnt play against Newport

I don't think JPT counts. I think it's just league games.

Kevin Stewart was on the bench against Southend and Port Vale so looks like a non issue to me.

Wasn't he carrying a knock for those games?

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 10:04:51 »

I don't think JPT counts. I think it's just league games.

Wasn't he carrying a knock for those games?
Even if we do have to pay their wages if they don't play I can't imagine it's a great deal. Do you really think that if they were fit all season they'd play regardless of how shit they were? Powers shrewd not stupid!
I'd imagine Swift was on similar terms to them last season and we had no problem putting him on the bench.
So again a non issue in my eyes! Regardless of reasoning Vigs would start on merit as he's twice the keeper Belford is.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 15:18:13 »

Even if we do have to pay their wages if they don't play I can't imagine it's a great deal. Do you really think that if they were fit all season they'd play regardless of how shit they were? Powers shrewd not stupid!
I'd imagine Swift was on similar terms to them last season and we had no problem putting him on the bench.
So again a non issue in my eyes! Regardless of reasoning Vigs would start on merit as he's twice the keeper Belford is.

Why do some people claim Belford is shit, I cant say I have ever seen him get given a consistent run of games to prove himself one way or the other, he is a young keeper who may or may not become a decent No 1 but surely until he has been seen to get a decent run then he cant really be judged on the odd performance here and there.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #170 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 16:00:13 »

He's fucking awful, you can tell after 5 mins of watching him play.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 16:13:34 »

Why do some people claim Belford is shit, I cant say I have ever seen him get given a consistent run of games to prove himself one way or the other, he is a young keeper who may or may not become a decent No 1 but surely until he has been seen to get a decent run then he cant really be judged on the odd performance here and there.
Watch the Colchester highlights - both goals conceded should have been saved. Something like 20+ appearances for Swindon with no clean sheets also says it all (including against Newport, who were bottom of the football league at the time and absolutely dreadful).
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 19:15:38 »

Belford is the stereotypical sub keeper and that is all he'll ever be. He's one of those who makes the easy saves look spectaclar, very similar to Phil Smith. He's absolutely terrified to come off his line and is when he does its usually the wrong decision.  We made him available for loan at the start of last season and there were no takers which I think speaks volumes really.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 19:20:16 »

Either that or he had alot of offers and the club blocked every single one?
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 19:26:48 »

Either that or he had alot of offers and the club blocked every single one?
But why publicly make him available for loan....
In 13/14 he played about 10 games including a run of 5 or 6 in a row around February/March time which coincided with a dip in our form that resulted in the season fading away. Coincidence or not it still showed up his shortcomings.
He has no presence on the pitch when he plays which is key for a keeper. If the likes of Power really thought he was good enough they wouldn't have brought in a keeper who apparently 'has to play'. He's a useful backup that is all.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 22:41:01 »

I have a suspicion JFW might be right here  Hmmm

Harsh to compare him to Phil Smith. Smith had a consistent run with us when we had no other option and he proved to be a decent shot-stopper who nevertheless was glued to his line and fucked up accordingly.. Our style of play is completely different now, and I don't see why Belford should be completely written off because he's on the bench.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
SuperBosnian

« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 23:03:32 »

Phil Smith was pretty terrible but I love him for that inspired performance against Charlton in the Playoffs, probably the best goalkeeping display I've witnessed from a Swindon keeper.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 23:07:11 »

Harsh to compare him to Phil Smith. Smith had a consistent run with us when we had no other option and he proved to be a decent shot-stopper who nevertheless was glued to his line and fucked up accordingly.. Our style of play is completely different now, and I don't see why Belford should be completely written off because he's on the bench.

I would say it's extremely harsh on Smith to compare him to Belford, I don't ever clearly remember Smith fucking up and he always looked like a better shot stopper to me than the frankly overrated Lucas. Smith played a blinder when we went down to 10 at Charlton and then was rewarded by being dropped for Wembley. Compare that to Belford who has zero presence in the box and against Colchester got beaten by a soft near post effort and a middle of the goal pea roller that he actually moved out of the way of. There really is no comparison with Smith for me.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 23:16:16 »

First and foremost in the case of a goalkeeper regardless of 'playing style' a goalkeeper needs to actually be a good goalkeeper, which in my opinion Belford isn't. He may be a nice guy but if you include friendlies on top of the 20 odd games he has played I think it's enough to form an opinion that he's not of the required standard. Obviously Power knows best and chose to get an unproven premiership youngster in rather than have Belford as first choice. I just hope Vigs isn't the sacrificed loanee on Saturday to allow Thompson to play. Belford in goal with one of the youngsters on the bench is quite frankly a scary scenario in our current situation.
REDBUCK

« Reply #179 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 00:29:14 »

That'll be the goalie that's kept one clean sheet so far this season and has helped us to a magnificent 19th because he has such a presence on the pitch, never fucks up, catches ever cross like a proper goalkeeper.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: