Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: All our yesterdays  (Read 3739 times)
Skinny Pete

« on: Saturday, November 7, 2015, 12:46:40 »

Just watching 'Uddersfield v Leeds and what popped into my head was going to see us away at Huddersfield's old ground (can't remember what it was called - old git syndrome), think it was a Tuesday evening, probably League Cup and we thumped them 6-0 (probably).

I see club's like that - along with the likes of Watford and Reading - and it hits home just how far we've been left behind.

Just when did we have that one chance to really kick on as a club?

Just checked it was 1-4. Deary me!
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 7, 2015, 12:49:48 by Pleasantly Plump Chang » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, November 7, 2015, 12:55:30 »

Leeds Road?
Skinny Pete

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 7, 2015, 12:57:57 »

That's it.

Thank you, young man
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 7, 2015, 13:03:50 »

young. I wish.
lambourn red

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 7, 2015, 13:05:43 »

Just watching 'Uddersfield v Leeds and what popped into my head was going to see us away at Huddersfield's old ground (can't remember what it was called - old git syndrome), think it was a Tuesday evening, probably League Cup and we thumped them 6-0 (probably).

I see club's like that - along with the likes of Watford and Reading - and it hits home just how far we've been left behind.

Just when did we have that one chance to really kick on as a club?

Just checked it was 1-4. Deary me!

I went to that game as well, I think Duncan Shearer scored a hat trick.
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 9, 2015, 12:01:27 »

Video below

Proper old school ground, Leeds Road. The move to the new stadium is a big part of the answer to why clubs like that (and Reading etc...) have left us behind though.
Combe Down

« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 9, 2015, 12:25:20 »

We beat 'udders 6-0 in a League game on a Tuesday night one year. I chose to go to Level 3 to watch a gig instead!

Although STFC lost 0-1 to 'udders in San Antonio, Ibiza under Wise we topped the group table and took home the Copa Ibiza.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 9, 2015, 12:28:29 »

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, November 9, 2015, 12:45:37 »

The 6-0 scoreline came in a League game at home at the start of the 1996/97 season.  I remember the game well.  Every time we went forward, you felt a goal was coming.

STFC 6-0 Huddersfield (Oct 1996)

As to the original question: why have we been left behind?  We've been a financial basket case for decades and, during all that time, have never had an owner strategically committed to taking us up a level.  The lack of progress in terms of ground redevelopment is testament to that.  We are one of an increasingly small band of clubs that have done nothing of any note to their grounds since the time of the Taylor Report.  A lick of paint here, a new partition wall in the Winner's lounge, bolt a few extra seats on to some old terracing...that's the Swindon way.  Sticking plaster, at best.

We're living hand to mouth, season by season.  Lee Power may, in time, move things forward but he's building from the bottom (focusing on training facilities etc.), and slowly.  Only time will tell if his legacy will be any different to previous owners who have, at best, had us treading water for a few seasons.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, November 9, 2015, 12:49:00 »

The 6-0 scoreline came in a League game at home at the start of the 1996/97 season.  I remember the game well.  Every time we went forward, you felt a goal was coming.

As to the original question: why have we been left behind?  We've been a financial basket case for decades and, during all that time, have never had an owner strategically committed to taking us up a level.  The lack of progress in terms of ground redevelopment is testament to that.  We are one of an increasingly small band of clubs that have done nothing of any note to their grounds since the time of the Taylor Report.  A lick of paint here, a new partition wall in the Winner's lounge, bolt a few extra seats on to some old terracing...that's the Swindon way.  Sticking plaster, at best.

We're living hand to mouth, season by season.  Lee Power may, in time, move things forward but he's building from the bottom (focusing on training facilities etc.), and slowly.  Only time will tell if his legacy will be any different to previous owners who have, at best, had us treading water for a few seasons.

And yet it wasn't so long ago that you said this....

But a club like ours - with the relative resources we have at our disposal compared with most at this level - we have to aim at the top 6 every season.  No ifs or buts.  We're long overdue a stint in the 2nd tier now.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, November 9, 2015, 12:49:24 »

For Swindon Town read Swindon town.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 9, 2015, 13:12:35 »

You're implying that the two posts contradict each other, Reg, but I don't think they do.  I'm bemoaning a lack of strategic vision for the club over a sustained period - which has led to a sustained period during which we have been punching below our weight.  We are better resourced - and significantly so - than many of the clubs we have been scrapping with for years now in Div 3 & Div 4.  With astute management and a proper strategic plan, we will one day make that advantage tell.  If you were to draw up a list of clubs who had underperformed consistently and had pottential to raise themselves up from their present level in the medium term, we'd be near the top of it.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #12 on: Monday, November 9, 2015, 13:20:00 »

Video below

Proper old school ground, Leeds Road. The move to the new stadium is a big part of the answer to why clubs like that (and Reading etc...) have left us behind though.
What a pen save by Hammond!

Oh, for a Kerslake now!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, November 9, 2015, 13:33:23 »

A fully co-operative council would have helped us kick on, they've done little to properly support the club. I know the Trust, years ago, had a proposal that showed Swansea as an example of council and club working together (although they had more incentive for a new arena what with the rugby club in the City too).

Even if we did get a shiny new stadium with lovely new facilities, half of our fan base would complain at the lack of a soul anyway. The apathy of the Town towards its own football club is hardly surprising given the apathy of it's own fans. To be honest though, the whole Town needs a massive kick up the backside.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, November 9, 2015, 13:52:27 »

You're implying that the two posts contradict each other, Reg, but I don't think they do.  I'm bemoaning a lack of strategic vision for the club over a sustained period - which has led to a sustained period during which we have been punching below our weight.  We are better resourced - and significantly so - than many of the clubs we have been scrapping with for years now in Div 3 & Div 4.  With astute management and a proper strategic plan, we will one day make that advantage tell.  If you were to draw up a list of clubs who had underperformed consistently and had pottential to raise themselves up from their present level in the medium term, we'd be near the top of it.

Have you ever considered a career in politics.

You correctly outline how things are in today's post, but previously insisted we should be pushing for promotion every season.

So, let me get this right, you think that we are in a group of 48 clubs who've been left behind and are near of the top of those for potential?

But surely if as you say we're living hand to  mouth season by season, than what is happening this season is always a likely prospect....which is why over the period you're talking about I have classified us as  a Div 3/4 yo-yo club.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: