Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What other club do we remind you of?  (Read 8273 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 10:52:36 »

Thinking about the fact we've been out of the top two leagues for some time now, we seem to have settled in league one.

Are we the Oldham of the south?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 11:04:05 »

oldham havent beeen relegated twice in ten years

Things get better but they never get good
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 11:45:44 »

Port Vale, maybe?

Others may disagree, but I do feel that we have been punching below our weight for some time.  The clubs that we have been more or less on a par with over the last 10 to 15 years are the likes of Walsall, Port Vale, Oldham etc. - clubs with smaller core fanbases than ours.

That's not a boast.  It's irritation that we have been systematically underperforming for years.  Clubs like Peterborough and Brentford - who, traditionally, have attracted lower crowds than we have - have spent recent years oscillating between League 1 and the Championship.  We, by comparison, have spent recent years doing the same between League 1 and League 2.
UncleGary

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 11:47:25 »

At the moment: Mike Bassett's Wirral County.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 11:54:18 »

20 years ago I would have said we were similar in stature to Barnsley, Charlton and Stoke, however time hasn't been kind to us. Whilst historically we have only spent 20 years or so in the top 2 divisions, I think this level is our 'natural' level. I think if we had maintained a level of investment and management the same as these clubs, and possibly with a (re)developed stadium like Reading, we could and possibly should be a middling Championship side. As it is, we are destined to marooned at this level with the occasional foray into the level above.

I fear the championship is starting to become a closed shop.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 11:58:36 »

Walsall a few years ago.

While we have a slightly larger fan base, our noble quest for alleged break even means we are likely to make up the numbers long term while other clubs compete for promotion.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 12:06:10 »

20 years ago I would have said we were similar in stature to Barnsley, Charlton and Stoke, however time hasn't been kind to us. Whilst historically we have only spent 20 years or so in the top 2 divisions, I think this level is our 'natural' level. I think if we had maintained a level of investment and management the same as these clubs, and possibly with a (re)developed stadium like Reading, we could and possibly should be a middling Championship side. As it is, we are destined to marooned at this level with the occasional foray into the level above.

I fear the championship is starting to become a closed shop.

Exactly, we have stagnated since at least the mid 90's with a range of owners who have (in the majority of cases) gained control almost by default, say what you want about Jed but he only gained control as he was in the right place at the right time (and seemed the only option - for which we should grudgingly acknowledge him as it appears that without him Administration and possibly a big black hole beckoned), similarly Power to a degree only gained control due to the fact that Jed was inept and didn't have a pot to piss in. And now we are still not being crowded by loads of millionaires wanting to take the club over?

Its just a pity that the initial years of the Black era were marred by useless managerial appointments, I think if that had been got right and someone decent come in at the time of Malpas, we would have moved forward which would have made the club more attractive when Black decided he wanted out, the PDC era was a degree of success at huge cost and seemed to be the straw that broke the camels back with Black (which may not have happened if we had been a Championship club by then as I suspect the huge cash input would have been more palatable if the Premier League was in theory in reach??).

I have always thought of Swindon as the Crewe of the south, former railway town lost its main industry, Swindon has the advantage of location and M4 that Crewe lacks!

EldeneRed

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 12:23:45 »

We're like the Tottenham of league 1. A few managerial changes, aspirations of glory then cut short by stagnant performances.... And a fourth place finish in there too.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 12:25:31 »

Port Vale, maybe?

Others may disagree, but I do feel that we have been punching below our weight for some time.  The clubs that we have been more or less on a par with over the last 10 to 15 years are the likes of Walsall, Port Vale, Oldham etc. - clubs with smaller core fanbases than ours.

That's not a boast.  It's irritation that we have been systematically underperforming for years.  Clubs like Peterborough and Brentford - who, traditionally, have attracted lower crowds than we have - have spent recent years oscillating between League 1 and the Championship.  We, by comparison, have spent recent years doing the same between League 1 and League 2.

I disagree, we're about in the right place....the clubs you mention as having a smaller fanbase than ours, it's only marginal.  What the three you quote have in common, is other larger clubs on their doorstep as direct competition, that their gates hold up so well is remarkable and to their credit. 

Our competition of course comes from the indirect TV Prem stuff, which has left us with a largely ageing and consequently diminishing hardcore.

The key question for us going forward will be the need to stabilise in Div 4. The only season where we've been around the bottom rungs of Div 4 was 83/84 and then there was no direct relegation, nevertheless both Oxford and Rovers have shown what can happen when you don't get things right.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 12:34:08 »

I disagree, we're about in the right place....the clubs you mention as having a smaller fanbase than ours, it's only marginal.
Currently, our average of 7,268 is 38% above Walsall's, 41% more than Vale's and 56% more than Oldham's.  None of those are marginal.

What the three you quote have in common, is other larger clubs on their doorstep as direct competition, that their gates hold up so well is remarkable and to their credit.
It is to their credit, but also completely irrelevant to the effect that average attendances should have on the success of a football club over the long term.

Our competition of course comes from the indirect TV Prem stuff, which has left us with a largely ageing and consequently diminishing hardcore.
Agreed.

The key question for us going forward will be the need to stabilise in Div 4. The only season where we've been around the bottom rungs of Div 4 was 83/84 and then there was no direct relegation, nevertheless both Oxford and Rovers have shown what can happen when you don't get things right.
Now you're just trolling again.  We're in a pickle, but relegation is far from inevitable - as you know.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 12:36:00 by Ardiles » Logged
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 12:50:00 »

How far is far? I reckon we're about 100metres away from inevitable relegation. Someone standing there is going to look pretty small, but it's only a quick dash to the finish line.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 12:57:41 »

Hi Ben.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 13:01:36 »

I'd like to Swindon Town to death a baby seal.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 14:26:40 »

Currently, our average of 7,268 is 38% above Walsall's, 41% more than Vale's and 56% more than Oldham's.  None of those are marginal.
It is to their credit, but also completely irrelevant to the effect that average attendances should have on the success of a football club over the long term.
Agreed.
Now you're just trolling again.  We're in a pickle, but relegation is far from inevitable - as you know.

Marginal in the sense that it's a couple of thousand, Sheffield United's crowd last night was 17,000+, when their fans argue they probably shouldn't be in Div 3, I'm inclined to agree. Of course it doesn't give them a divine right to go up.

We also don't know how the 3 mentioned clubs are set as regards ground ownership....if they own the ground, then our extra will be offset by rent to SBC.  I know for many years Walsall would turn a small profit on the back of a giant car boot sale in the Bescot car park. Oldham are in the middle of a redevelopment of Boundary Park...sort of thing we can only dream about.

Of course relegation isn't inevitable yet, but something needs to change for the better, and it's difficult to see what that might be.
DRS

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 14:58:41 »

Marginal in the sense that it's a couple of thousand, Sheffield United's crowd last night was 17,000+, when their fans argue they probably shouldn't be in Div 3, I'm inclined to agree. Of course it doesn't give them a divine right to go up.

We also don't know how the 3 mentioned clubs are set as regards ground ownership....if they own the ground, then our extra will be offset by rent to SBC.  I know for many years Walsall would turn a small profit on the back of a giant car boot sale in the Bescot car park. Oldham are in the middle of a redevelopment of Boundary Park...sort of thing we can only dream about.

Of course relegation isn't inevitable yet, but something needs to change for the better, and it's difficult to see what that might be.
I reckon over half our first team returning may help
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: