Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Peterborough United - Matchday Thread  (Read 21970 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #165 on: Sunday, October 11, 2015, 15:47:32 »

This season is going a bit like we did in 2002/3 under Kingy. Good start with a hat trick on 1st day of the season, a demoralising local derby defeat with a silly sending off. We lost 7 on the bounce and the turning point was a draw with Colchester I think.

We were in a bigger mess financially and Kingy had nothing to work with. Remember Coppell walking away saying we were doomed. Yet we dragged ourselves out of it, went on a decent run and were not far off A play off spot.

Of course 2010/11 is the more worrying comparison but I think everyone is so scarred or spooked by that season that we won't allow ourselves to sleep walk into a relegation battle believing we are too good to go down.

Not a bad comparison, but the essential difference is Kingy could out a battling Div 3 sort of side....Gurney being the epitome, not for him flick fanny football. I remember with fondness turning over a Wigan side, who only lost 4 all season and were on their way to the Prem with Whelan's money.  Late in that game when under pressure Steve Robinson ran what must have been 70 yards, in order to make a tackle late on to keep the lead.

Atm, without Nathan, we just don't have players with that sort of commitment.
Levi lapper

« Reply #166 on: Sunday, October 11, 2015, 16:20:19 »

There are many ways to have children including fucking, artificial insemination, surrogacy or, as every father does, adoption of a child borne by a female.

You are well fucking odd if that really is your view.
DMR

« Reply #167 on: Sunday, October 11, 2015, 16:46:48 »

Big difference in 02/03 - we'd signed Super Sam and we were always gonna be alright with a goal scorer of that calibre in the side.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, October 11, 2015, 17:00:30 »

Big difference in 02/03 - we'd signed Super Sam and we were always gonna be alright with a goal scorer of that calibre in the side.

Having a goalscorer is never a bad thing, but doesn't guarantee you can't struggle in 08/09 we were close to relegation despite Coxy scoring 29 goals, the most by a Town striker post war.

Our problem that year, a shite defence, not sorted until Gordon Greer's arrival on loan late on.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, October 11, 2015, 17:17:40 »

Having a goalscorer is never a bad thing, but doesn't guarantee you can't struggle in 08/09 we were close to relegation despite Coxy scoring 29 goals, the most by a Town striker post war.

Our problem that year, a shite defence, not sorted until Gordon Greer's arrival on loan late on.

You can have a goal scorer and struggle but I'll be amazed if many sides have gone down with a striker whose hit them 20+ in the league...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Sunday, October 11, 2015, 21:19:31 »

Wolves?
Oxfordhater

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, October 11, 2015, 21:47:19 »

Just looking at our own squad no one capable of that haul in this squad. Williams had a good haul last year but he really was hit and miss and completely went off the boil in the end.

A Simon Cox or Charlie Austin would be just the tonic at the moment nethermind all the problems in defence etc.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, October 11, 2015, 22:44:26 »

Walsall home. Greer's debut, and the wonder goal. Jan/Feb iirc. I know it was cold!
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Monday, October 12, 2015, 01:42:39 »

Everything has happened in football ffs. If you're that determined you can probably find precedents for games that have been won by stray badgers, but it's not relevant is it. Clubs have gone up with tiny budgets and they've been relegated with them, they've succeeded with depleted squads and they've suffered with them. Nobody would watch football if it was a predictable science.

Just enjoy it and keep your fingers crossed. Some people seem so desperate to say I told you so I think they'd enjoy us getting relegated more than us actually achieving something.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
normy

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Monday, October 12, 2015, 14:12:00 »

I actually enjoyed the match, despite the defensive lapses. We got it forward far quicker than in previous home games, and if only the immense Gladwin had had decent forwards on form with him to finish it off probably a different result. It amazed me how Gladwin glided past so many challenges.  Hope he gets his shooting boots on soon.

ust be the oldest
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Monday, October 12, 2015, 14:55:48 »

I actually enjoyed the match, despite the defensive lapses. We got it forward far quicker than in previous home games, and if only the immense Gladwin had had decent forwards on form with him to finish it off probably a different result. It amazed me how Gladwin glided past so many challenges.  Hope he gets his shooting boots on soon.
Definitley agree regarding Gladwin. A match fit Gladwin would have won that game on his own on Saturday. It's amazing how he buys himself a yard of space everytime with a languid stepover or an obvious drag back. You can see it coming everytime high in the stands but he beat his man with ease on many occasions. Just lacking the sharpness that would probably have turned that initial bit of magic into something that resulted in either an assist or a goal.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Monday, October 12, 2015, 15:04:53 »

Gladwin looks like he's having a kick about in a six a side game a lot of the time. Brilliant to watch, just a shame about the end product, which can of course be worked on.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Monday, October 12, 2015, 15:07:27 »

think he got frustrated and tried to do it all himself in the second half. didn't think he was that effective thereafter.

first 30 minutes he ran the show.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Monday, October 12, 2015, 15:29:54 »

Gladwin looks like he's having a kick about in a six a side game a lot of the time. Brilliant to watch, just a shame about the end product, which can of course be worked on.

Gladwin, is something of a throwback footballer, probably to the days of Jim Baxter.  Baxter, was an entertainer, who could on a given day destroy an opposition with ease....he didn't much like running, as he was mostly pissed up. Baxter threw it all away on booze, birds and gambling.

George Graham, carried the Sweatie flag from Baxter....known as Stroller because of his languid elegance, George was more of an aesthete as a player, but he liked a bung as a boss.

Glenn Hoddle was out of the same mould....they're tall midfield players, not blessed with great pace, so make up for it with vision, some trickery and an abilty to shoot and spray passes.

Of recent English vintage, Tom Huddlestone fits the bill.....often managers don't know what to do with them, as they don't seem all action and fitting into a team template.

Often they're better suited to foreign football, the likes of Juan Sebastian Veron and Juan Roman Riquelme, are feted on the continent and S America.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: