Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Power phone in tonight 6pm  (Read 124003 times)
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #630 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 08:13:34 »

I did say 1 'good' season. Luongo had his 1 good season last year and was sold, also Byrne, Gladwin. Kasim would have been sold but nobody wanted him enough.

Ajose and Obika to follow no doubt.
Luongo was wanted though and we turned down a bid. A bid from QPR was also turned down for Kasim. A 2 year deal has been offered to Obika but no doubt people will find a sinister reason why this is. Gladwin we made over a million on in one season? should we have kept him?

Power has also said we want to keep Ajose but the player may want to leave, what should he do in that situation in your opinion
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 08:31:25 »

Obika probably has to go - be stupid to lose him for nothing next year.

Ajose doesn't have to be sold. He has another 2 years on his contract and if Power wants to keep him as much as he says he can make Ajose honour that.

He always uses the 'I don't want to stop the player for bettering himself' angle as the reason for selling.

I'm of a mind that there will not be a lengthy queue for Ajose.

As has been said before, I dont mind him selling if appropriate replacements are signed and not the hit and hope kind.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 09:04:26 »

I'm not sure why everyone is getting so worried about this.

Obika is replaceable. Ajose as a player is replaceable. Are Ajose's goals replaceable? Difficult for one individual, but we might end up with a strike partnership next year that can score Ajose's goals between them.

Players come and go. I remember being disappointed when Quinn, Bamber, Shearer and many others departed. But we replaced them - Sometimes with utter rubbish mind! Lets see what happens and hope for the best!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #633 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 09:38:41 »

players come and go but proven goal scoring partnerships are hard to find. they have masked the mediocrity of the squad this year and replacing them both  while possible is bloody risky.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 10:00:50 »

Don't go Jon  Crying
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 10:01:56 »

Players are always going to want to better themselves - both financially and professionally ie playing at highest level they can. Swindon have a pretty good record of giving players a platform to show what they are capable of and the chance to move on - from Eastoe to McLoughlin to Horlock to Moncur to Parkin to Cox to Austin to Ritchie to Luongo to Byrne. All came from bigger clubs where they were struggling to get much game time, came here, did well and  got move to bigger club and no doubt bigger pay packet.

The grass isn't always greener - just ask Sam Parkin and Nathan Byrne from that list. So having failed already at a bigger club and not get games and goals he needed for his career to kick on Ajose might be slightly wary about his next move. Undoubtedly if enough money is offered he will be moved on regardless. Obika having knocked around Spurs reserves for  years without ever getting a look in has certainly benefited from a regular start rather than a succession of loan moves. Not saying he is in that class but the other Spurs forward who seemed to be around for a while and was sent everywhere and anywhere on loan was a certain Harry Kane. So ex team mate Obika must fancy what would probably be his last chance of  proving himself at a higher level rather than committing to us for another couple of years.

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 10:06:05 »

players come and go but proven goal scoring partnerships are hard to find. they have masked the mediocrity of the squad this year and replacing them both  while possible is bloody risky.
Not when  Ibrahimovic is available on a free Wink
Flashheart

« Reply #637 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 10:10:37 »

Have I missed something? I could have sworn Obika said himself that he'll be here next year.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #638 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 10:22:20 »

He believes he has a new way of running a lower league club, because he knows the "game", and to Arriba's question, yes, he think he has a way to get most if not all of it back, if it works.

He believes that by playing the style of football that is used in Prem U21 games, he can bring in talent from that group - either those who are already going to go on to better things, or those who didn't seem to cut it, but might be able to.

For that reason, we don't change our style of play.

Getting these types of players in, playing a style they know, makes them look better to prospective buyers than traditional lower league fayre (when it works).

The aim is that we therefore make a profit on player sales, something rare in clubs but similar to Crewe's model (although they invest in their own youth set-up instead, which is getting tougher to do and more costly).

That means recruitment is skewed heavily to youth level - you need players who have a chance of having re-sale value to make this work.  Older players are already tarred to a degree in terms of the level they'll be scouted to.

Last season was a prime example of it coming together (although I think even he got taken by surprise on just how effective it was, and he cashed in much of his loans as a result).  That has left us exposed for this season, but even now we have a player being talked about as a 6 figure sale, closing in on 7 figures.  Plus we think at least two others will attract a fee if suitors come knocking.  That is a very different ball game to any we've played in since 1993 (in some respects, the team of that era was similar, made up mainly of higher level young talent, the difference being a sprinkling of older guile).

For Power, it's still working, but it works better when we do well for him.  That's our trade off - high risk of seasons like this, but financial stability as a club and the prospect of great seasons.
Absolutely spot on in all counts Rob.

The club "on the pitch" is being run like an U21 acadamy of a Premier League club with a few allowed over 21 heads there to help the lads through the bad times.

It will always be like this with Power as owner and something we as fans have to accept, there will be some great, some good, some bad, some average and some terrible perfomances......but havent we always in almost all our lives?

We will have a few great players come to us, and some will look good in patches, thats the nature of the game we are playing, but when its good its very very good, the exact opposite is true also though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #639 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 10:24:31 »

Have I missed something? I could have sworn Obika said himself that he'll be here next year.
I think a lot of our fans see Obika as an easily sellable assett while still under contract so they PRESUME Power will sell him while he can make money out of him.

Whether this is ACTUALLY true or not we will have to wait and see but I wouldn't be shocked to see Obika stay this season.

Flashheart

« Reply #640 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 10:31:04 »

Well it just goes to demonstrate that despite protests from some of 'we don't get told this/that', people will still get themselves worked up regardless of what is/is not said.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #641 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 10:52:48 »

Well it just goes to demonstrate that despite protests from some of 'we don't get told this/that', people will still get themselves worked up regardless of what is/is not said.

Absolutely.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #642 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 10:58:37 »

Players from Eastoe to McLoughlin to Horlock to Moncur to Parkin to Cox to Austin to Ritchie to Luongo to Byrne. All came from bigger clubs where they were struggling to get much game time, came here, did well and  got move to bigger club and no doubt bigger pay packet.

At least give us credit for being a step up from Poole Town!

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 11:03:19 »

I think a lot of our fans see Obika as an easily sellable assett while still under contract so they PRESUME Power will sell him while he can make money out of him.

Whether this is ACTUALLY true or not we will have to wait and see but I wouldn't be shocked to see Obika stay this season.

I think he'll stay at leave at the end of the season. Can command bigger signing on fee and wages then, makes financial sense to him.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 11:11:30 »

I think he'll stay at leave at the end of the season. Can command bigger signing on fee and wages then, makes financial sense to him.

Another option, Obika stays and we get promoted. He then is playing for a Championship team when he signs a new 3 year contract from 2017-2020.  Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45   Go Up
Print
Jump to: