Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Town End Displays stickers  (Read 8152 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 15:47:17 »

What a joyful soul you are.

Here's a suggestion: If threads such as these bother you so much, don't fucking open them. You don't see me going into cricket threads complaining that I don't enjoy cricket.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 15:49:15 »

If Jay is using a forum to drum up support for his pet project he must also be prepared to accept a bit of piss taking from those that think it is infantile tosh.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 16:05:51 »

To distract attention from this spat....here's something that's bothered me for a long time.  What's the difference between a sticker and a decal?  Is it just one of those American things, decals to them stickers to the rest  of us? 4D?

Thanks in advance....in the words of Captain Beefheart....Lick My Decals Off
Skinny Pete

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 16:11:06 »

If it wasn't for spats some people would rarely post!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 16:39:37 »

To distract attention from this spat....here's something that's bothered me for a long time.  What's the difference between a sticker and a decal?  Is it just one of those American things, decals to them stickers to the rest  of us? 4D?

Thanks in advance....in the words of Captain Beefheart....Lick My Decals Off

I thought decals were transfers, like the roundels you put on an Airfix Spitfire. Dampen the backing paper and remove. Not like stickers at all.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 16:46:44 »

I thought decals were transfers, like the roundels you put on an Airfix Spitfire. Dampen the backing paper and remove. Not like stickers at all.

You may well be right, which is why I'm asking, so perhaps a better question might be what's the difference between a decal and a transfer?  is that just an American thing?  I don't recall a reference to decals when I built my Airfix Spitfire circa 1959
Barry Scott

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 16:54:53 »

A bit like Red Frog, I thought Decals were normally transferred, like when you get letters, or logos, that need to be aligned in a specific way, but have no vinyl connecting them as such. I recall them coming affixed to transparent plastic as individual letters or parts and then this paper/plastic peels off once the decals are stuck to the required surface.

At least that's how I remember applying my Raleigh Burner decals post spray job. Cheesy

Edit: Here you go Reg, in all their glory. B)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk1-Raleigh-Burner-Style-Old-School-BMX-Stickers-Decals-MULTIPLE-CHOICE-/171943918661?var=&hash=item2808a7fc45
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 17:20:26 »

If you think that's 'having a go' you must have led a very sheltered life.

Jeez, there's some very sensitive, precious souls on here.

OK, how should I have described it?  Critiquing? Over Analysing?  The sheltered life is yours if all you can do it criticize others for doing something they believe will improve things.  If you don't like "his" banners, then make your own, if you don't want to make your own then bring a pack of bog rolls, if you don't want to do any of that then just click ignore, or don't bother looking at the threads.  I don't see what the problem is, or the need to ridicule, that's all.

Oh, and I agree with the transfer description for Decal, and the fact that it is usually a design rather than text or a message.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 17:20:46 »

A bit like Red Frog, I thought Decals were normally transferred, like when you get letters, or logos, that need to be aligned in a specific way, but have no vinyl connecting them as such. I recall them coming affixed to transparent plastic as individual letters or parts and then this paper/plastic peels off once the decals are stuck to the required surface.

At least that's how I remember applying my Raleigh Burner decals post spray job. Cheesy

Edit: Here you go Reg, in all their glory. B)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk1-Raleigh-Burner-Style-Old-School-BMX-Stickers-Decals-MULTIPLE-CHOICE-/171943918661?var=&hash=item2808a7fc45

Yeah but that says......Raleigh Burner Style Old School BMX Stickers/Decals *MULTIPLE CHOICE*... which is which?
Skinny Pete

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 17:23:34 »

sticker n. an adhesive label or notice, generally printed or illustrated.

label n. a small piece of paper, fabric, plastic, or similar material attached to an object and giving information about it.

decal n. a design prepared on special paper for transfer onto another surface such as glass, porcelain, or metal.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 17:31:07 »

sticker n. an adhesive label or notice, generally printed or illustrated.

label n. a small piece of paper, fabric, plastic, or similar material attached to an object and giving information about it.

decal n. a design prepared on special paper for transfer onto another surface such as glass, porcelain, or metal.

So what's a transfer then?  I'm sure when building my Airfix Halifax Bomber...that the instructions referred to transfers.

http://s1.scalemates.com/products/img/7/8/4/171784-12155.jpg
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 17:32:50 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 18:28:51 »

£2 p&p. Someone's taking the fucking piss.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Flashheart

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 18:40:14 »

I think decal is the american word for transfer.

I once had an American air-fix type kit and 'decal' was the word they used for the transfers. Fucking yanks, always getting the language wrong.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 18:49:13 »

£2 p&p. Someone's taking the fucking piss.

Cheesy
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 19:16:27 »

If it wasn't for spats some people would rarely post!
The only time i have  been spat at,was at Gilliingham in 1979.
No stickers involved,was badges from "giggles" back then.
Mine said "I hate Gillingham" . .  :gay:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: