Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GWR fucks over Swindon again  (Read 9105 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 17:17:11 »

Tories intend to flog off Network Rail to their mates....you may favour crony capitalism, but there are many who think it stinks.  The Tories starved BR of investment, to soften it up for privatisation. Look across the Channel at a highly successful state owned operator like SNCF as an example

Pint
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 19:02:55 »

Is SNCF really that successful?  Red Frog will know better than most, I'm sure.  Don't have figures to back this up, but fairly sure that the level of state subsidy is massive.  I know that the railways are also subsidised here...but probably not to the same degree?
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 19:11:19 »

They were the ones who ordered 2,000 trains too wide for the station platforms.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 19:14:50 by BruceChatwin » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 19:16:03 »

Is SNCF really that successful?  Red Frog will know better than most, I'm sure.  Don't have figures to back this up, but fairly sure that the level of state subsidy is massive.  I know that the railways are also subsidised here...but probably not to the same degree?

It's estimated that all business in the UK is subsidised to the tune of £93 billion, many of these also avoiding any tax.

To put it another way that's £3500 per household.

This tax avoidance, and the public service wage freeze and job loses, may explain why the deficit has risen by a couple of £billion as announced today.
Talk Talk

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 20:06:30 »

Agree that Swindon to Reading is too bloody expensive though.

I bought two lots of mTickets (off the phone app) for Swindon to Reading and back for £16 there and £6 back today. Admittedly it's the 07:01 train out and after 19:00 back but that's pretty bloody good. Advance yes, but for next week and three week's time.

That's cheaper than driving I think.
Combe Down

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, September 23, 2015, 00:09:00 »

If you have a car, do you have to book it that far in advance and travel at those specific times?: Have long does it take you / cost to get to Swindon rail station & how far the other end?

However,  I guess most cars do not have a bar in them. What do you think of catering prices on trains? Why is there not competition on trains for catering I wonder?
Talk Talk

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, September 23, 2015, 08:45:03 »

If you have a car, do you have to book it that far in advance and travel at those specific times?: Have long does it take you / cost to get to Swindon rail station & how far the other end?

However,  I guess most cars do not have a bar in them. What do you think of catering prices on trains? Why is there not competition on trains for catering I wonder?

My good lady drops me off and picks me up the Swindon end. That's ten minutes each at those times of the day. I get the PlusBus option on the train ticket for Reading which is £3, all day pass. Dunno if you work in Reading much but the traffic is generally shocking and the buses/routing pretty good.

I don't think that the catering prices are that bad, not much different to if you go in a Neros or a Delice or pub or whatever. £3.50 for a can of Tribute but then that's similar to what you pay in a bar for a pint?

I generally go into the office in Reading one or two days a week and I alternate between driving and train, it stops it being a slog of a commute  Smiley
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, September 23, 2015, 09:27:07 »

We catch the train from Farnborough North to Reading (just under 20 miles) every now & then.  Costs about £15 return for a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) on a Saturday, which I think is fairly good value.  But when I looked in to getting the train to Swindon last Saturday for the Burton game (ie two trains, with a change at Reading), it was over £50 for 3 of us (1 adult & 2 kids).  Have to agree - the Reading to Swindon leg is ridiculously expensive.

We drove on Saturday.  There's no way I'm paying those prices.
Talk Talk

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, September 23, 2015, 23:07:36 »

We drove on Saturday. There's no way I'm paying those prices.

Considered one of these Ardiles?

http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/the-benefits/
Combe Down

« Reply #24 on: Friday, September 25, 2015, 06:48:13 »

So the sensory garden (what a joke) at Swindon railway station is being turned into holding cells for British Transport Police.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, September 25, 2015, 07:03:30 »

I beg your pardon, I never promised you a sensory garden.
Talk Talk

« Reply #26 on: Friday, September 25, 2015, 09:09:05 »

So the sensory garden (what a joke) at Swindon railway station is being turned into holding cells for British Transport Police.

They're really evil people those BTP, they need locking up
chunky monkey

« Reply #27 on: Friday, September 25, 2015, 17:34:43 »

Not made any difference to the prices pre rebranding. Still £52 return Bournemouth to Swindon for the 10th October Peterborough game. Bollocks to that. It's bordering on driving up and booking a room for the night with a nice fried breakfast
« Last Edit: Friday, September 25, 2015, 17:42:06 by chunky monkey » Logged
Talk Talk

« Reply #28 on: Friday, September 25, 2015, 21:10:31 »

Not made any difference to the prices pre rebranding. Still £52 return Bournemouth to Swindon for the 10th October Peterborough game. Bollocks to that. It's bordering on driving up and booking a room for the night with a nice fried breakfast

You're sharing your bed with a sausage, bacon, baked beans and grilled tomatoes? It takes all sorts I guess. Myself I would prefer a nice hot piece of skirt but there you are
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, September 25, 2015, 23:58:25 »

What the frig is this sensory garden thing? Where/what is/was it? How can I make this question any more confusing?

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: