Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New training ground  (Read 146917 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:07:37 »

SBC will always bend over backwards for a passing multi-national or large developer.... but they are dependent on economic conditions.  Developers are happy to hoard land, if the economy cannot justify building on it at that time;  they'll wait, and look for more suitable sites which maybe are outside the plan.

PaulD's thing; included in the plan eventually passed, was land earmarked for employment purposes near J15. This has been on the market for several years now.... with no takers.  So developer now wants to build more houses
The developers are also trying to renege on their S106 obligations, costing a few million, despite paying their CEO £100m in bonuses and salary last year. I doubt the Secretary of State will be calling that in
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:11:40 »

SBC has got plenty of houses in the local plan... probably more than just about anywhere else in the UK.  When developers want to build outside the plan, the ruse is to say SBC are not building them quickly enough, rather than there aren't enough in the plan. So for example the Eastern development is for 8,000 houses... but it isn't happening yet.

Evidence of this would be welcome, the idea that Swindon has a greater supply than anywhere else is just nonsense as there are plenty of Councils that are capable of providing the required 5 years supply = 20% (see below).

Helpfully the Inspectors Report WRT the scheme in Wroughton that you erroneously quoted as evidence actually disproves your point very easily....

131. I find that the LPA has less than 2.5 years HLS. Even if the 20% buffer was not applied to the backlog the LPA would still have a HLS that is significantly below 3 years. Considerable weight should be given the extent of the shortfall in HLS. The lack of 3 years HLS also has the effect, in the context of the WMS, of rendering the relevant NP policies for the supply of housing (RH3 and RH6) and the NP settlement boundary out-of-date. Paragraph 14 of the Framework* is engaged.

Ultimately Councils have to show they have a 5 year supply of housing, the target being calculated by a needs study (using an accepted formula and process**) and then sites being identified by way of a SHLAA (may have a new name now) process, this was explicitly placed in national policy to stop Councils blocking needed housing in dubious ways, as we all agree that the country needs more houses strangely until they are proposed near where we live.

Swindon obviously cannot prove this and thus are immediately fighting with one hand behind their backs, which the Officers should have informed the members of before the decision was reached.

* Its not that Paragraph anymore as the NPPF was revised in July 2018, but I cannot be arsed to check as I know you won't take a blind bit of notice anyway.
** Amusingly in Lancaster the other year the Green Councillors objected to the results of the needs study saying the Councils consultants had done it incorrectly to inflate the figure, the demanded it be done again by another party of their choosing and when it came back it was actually higher than the original one.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:12:12 »

See response to your fellow conspiracy theorist above...  Cheesy In this case its at best a  procedural rubber stamping process - but hey what do I know.
Nice ad hominem response. I've already said that SBC fucked up over Coate, most probably deliberately. They stitched us all up by including Coate in the Local Plan, then councillors overturned their own Local Plan in planning committee when they shit themselves over the public response, knowing full well that it would get overturned on appeal and they could say "Well, we tried but got done over by big bad govt". No need to be such a patronising cock
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:16:17 »

The developers are also trying to renege on their S106 obligations, costing a few million, despite paying their CEO £100m in bonuses and salary last year. I doubt the Secretary of State will be calling that in

Don't know anything about the case but a) the Council should be seeking independent advice to establish the facts on costs etc (and asking the developer to pay for it - but before you get your knickers twisted the developer pays, but the Council chooses, agrees scope and appoints!) and b) what the company is worth/paying its staff is entirely irrelevant in the big scheme of things, its based on the site itself and nothing else!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:19:53 »

See response to your fellow conspiracy theorist above...  Cheesy In this case its at best a  procedural rubber stamping process - but hey what do I know.

Nothing to do with conspiracy theory.... just observation. Probably as an insider you can't see the wood for the trees, it happens when you're inside an organisation, after a length of time you become institutionalised in way of thought. It's not a wrong thing, but rather inevitable.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:22:53 »

Nice ad hominem response. I've already said that SBC fucked up over Coate, most probably deliberately. They stitched us all up by including Coate in the Local Plan, then councillors overturned their own Local Plan in planning committee when they shit themselves over the public response, knowing full well that it would get overturned on appeal and they could say "Well, we tried but got done over by big bad govt". No need to be such a patronising cock

Well the fault squarely lies at your elected members then rather than the government nor the big bad developers.

The system isn't great (in fact in many ways its bollocks) and could be better, but also from experience it is nowhere near as bent as people like to think, usually it suffers at a Council level from a lack of strategic thought and long term planning (master planning has become a dying art - which is amusing as its all they really teach you on a Planning Degree), most graduates come out of uni never having seen an application in their lives, poor decision making and an inability to rationally (or possibly wilfully) interpret national policy.

I apologise if I appear patronising, frustrated would better a better way to describe, although I promise to be less of a patronising cock if you agree to be a less belligerent one  Wink (although it may be your scouse blood coming to the fore! Grin)  
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:31:43 by horlock07 » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:30:00 »

Nothing to do with conspiracy theory.... just observation. Probably as an insider you can't see the wood for the trees, it happens when you're inside an organisation, after a length of time you become institutionalised in way of thought. It's not a wrong thing, but rather inevitable.

Christ are you going to bring the masons into it in a minute, What organisation am I inside of? I work for a private company, we are a two man band (well actually one man and one woman) company and I work alone in an office in a garden in Cumbria!

If you can provide hard evidence supported facts to support your 'observations' I would be more than happy to discuss, otherwise its just presenting gossip as fact to support an already ingrained view of a conspiracy that doesn't exist.

Trust me I have been on the receiving end of some very dubious decisions over the years with Inspectors taking some enormous leaps of fancy in their consideration and decision letters, the ones to which you keep making reference whilst not making sense to you maybe, appear to have been determined in accordance with adopted policy which is all that the Council/PINS/SOS can reasonably do). In every case SBC/objectors etc could have sought a JR to argue that policy/the law had not been applied correctly, no one has?  Hmmm
Sir red ken

« Reply #397 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:36:07 »

Christ are you going to bring the masons into it in a minute, What organisation am I inside of? I work for a private company, we are a two man band (well actually one man and one woman) company and I work alone in an office in a garden in Cumbria!

If you can provide hard evidence supported facts to support your 'observations' I would be more than happy to discuss, otherwise its just presenting gossip as fact to support an already ingrained view of a conspiracy that doesn't exist.

Trust me I have been on the receiving end of some very dubious decisions over the years with Inspectors taking some enormous leaps of fancy in their consideration and decision letters, the ones to which you keep making reference whilst not making sense to you maybe, appear to have been determined in accordance with adopted policy which is all that the Council/PINS/SOS can reasonably do). In every case SBC/objectors etc could have sought a JR to argue that policy/the law had not been applied correctly, no one has?  Hmmm

Are you a Mason horlock?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:46:34 »

Out of interest why do you think you didn't get the inspectors job?  Seems a good number, look at the rules written down and there you go, black or white.... no judgement involved. I'm sure you'd be more than competent.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:57:13 »

Just noticed that this thread was started over 3 years ago.

Not sure exactly when the planning application went in, but is this timescale the norm for a project of this size?

Interesting stuff, hopefully one day this thing will get built.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 10:11:27 »

Are you a Mason horlock?

I organised a stone masonry course once, and have previously been approached to join the Rotary Club (I declined!) does that count?

Out of interest why do you think you didn't get the inspectors job?  Seems a good number, look at the rules written down and there you go, black or white.... no judgement involved. I'm sure you'd be more than competent.

To be honest I should never applied, I was just insanely peeved with my job at the time and it seemed like a nice gig! I have subsequently discovered as a friend works there now, that a) its bloody hard job as they work from home with very little support and its not really like you can phone a friend like I do and b) they are incredibly understaffed and Inspectors are being asked to do stuff well above their pay grade.

I suspect I didn't get the job as I am possibly not methodical and analytical enough, you need to have a very legal mind (which I sort of have) and be able to analyse and present very concisely, which I am not good at as I ramble somewhat. We do a fair bit of legal work instructing QC's etc in my present job and we work well as I am very good at putting the case together and working with the QC and my partner is good at presenting and working with the QC at Inquiry, so suits us both really!

I have got a mate who would make a fantastic Inspector as he is made for the job, but he gets insulted each time I suggest as they are a breed of their own and the money isn't great!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 10:14:05 »

Just noticed that this thread was started over 3 years ago.

Not sure exactly when the planning application went in, but is this timescale the norm for a project of this size?

Interesting stuff, hopefully one day this thing will get built.

There has been two application processes, the short term one was approved a few years back and the detailed long term ones (x3) went in this November. They have dragged their heels a bit, but 2-3 years is possibly the par for the course.

Is anyone actually using the site or are the players still training elsewhere?
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 10:32:58 »

There has been two application processes, the short term one was approved a few years back and the detailed long term ones (x3) went in this November. They have dragged their heels a bit, but 2-3 years is possibly the par for the course.

Is anyone actually using the site or are the players still training elsewhere?

Still using Calne until summer of 2020.

That could tie in with the new place being ready by then. Huh?

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #403 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 11:40:48 »

Don't mind PaulD, he's just sour they built a housing estate in his front garden.
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 12:10:58 »

Are you a Mason horlock?
Are you a Mason horlock?

More importantly ...

"Christ are you going to bring the masons into it in a minute, What organisation am I inside of? I work for a private company, we are a two man band (well actually one man and one woman) company and I work alone in an office in a garden in Cumbria!"

... which one are you?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: