Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The refugee crisis.  (Read 52047 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 09:01:34 »

The manner in which the present crisis in Europe is bringing out the worst in all sides of the British public spectrum...

On one side we seem to have all manner of Britain's First rhetoric being rolled out..

On the other Facebook now seems to be full of people proposing to hire transit vans and drive stuff to Calais and other such tosh which is very obviously for our benefit to show how caring and liberal the writers are... (a particular highlight has been 'we have a house in Spain and I just cannot decide whether to open it up for refugees' - seriously!)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 09:13:18 »

I read somewhere about money being raised to create a banner in support of the refugees for our next home game.

Admirable sentitment but a bit pointless really
Panda Paws

« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 09:30:06 »

The manner in which the present crisis in Europe is bringing out the worst in all sides of the British public spectrum...

On one side we seem to have all manner of Britain's First rhetoric being rolled out..

On the other Facebook now seems to be full of people proposing to hire transit vans and drive stuff to Calais and other such tosh which is very obviously for our benefit to show how caring and liberal the writers are... (a particular highlight has been 'we have a house in Spain and I just cannot decide whether to open it up for refugees' - seriously!)

Ah, the overt modern need to be seen doing something, rather than just do it. Not specific to any one cause unfortunately.

Want to donate or do a good thing? Go ahead, but don't tweet, facebook, instagram, snapchat or anything else about it you cockwomble!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 09:30:45 »

I read somewhere about money being raised to create a banner in support of the refugees for our next home game.

Why pointless? Celtic fans don't seem to think so.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/refugee-crisis-celtic-vow-to-donate-proceeds-from-charity-match-this-weekend-to-refugee-crisis-10485897.html

A lot of people seem to think that saying or doing anything in support of anything has become pointless. A submissive public is a politician's dream.

Edit: If Abrahammer meant that putting money into a banner rather than donating it to the crisis was pointless, then I understand.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 4, 2015, 09:33:14 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 09:55:56 »

Edit: If Abrahammer meant that putting money into a banner rather than donating it to the crisis was pointless, then I understand.

Basically yes, on basis I think holding up a banner is quite frankly a massive waste of time.

The couple of hundred quid it would cost would be a lot more valuable should it be donated
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 10:01:21 »

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/03/english-football-supporters-groups-refugees-welcome-banners
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 10:38:16 »

Basically yes, on basis I think holding up a banner is quite frankly a massive waste of time.

The couple of hundred quid it would cost would be a lot more valuable should it be donated

What if the banner reaches a couple of thousand people who all donate a quid?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 10:45:36 »

The club are funding it and donating also. I had an email this morning but only skimmed it so far
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 10:46:14 »

Buckets would be better
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 10:47:03 »

Isn't it saying that the individuals concerned are willing to open up their homes and take in a refugee?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 10:47:13 »

Or adds to a tide of public demonstrations of demands for action. Which actually given the scale and causes of the crisis is far more powerful than donations. Contrary to Abrahammer, I'd suggest that individual donations totalling a few hundred quid are far more pointless than pressure on the politicians who caused the crisis that the public don't share their "Ah, well fuck 'em" sentiments to seeing kids drowning on the shores of Europe. People across Europe frightening our rulers into taking at least some remedial action is in this case far more likely to save/help more people than a few quid in an Oxfam bucket. (Not saying people shouldn't donate, btw)
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 10:48:56 »

How did the politicians cause the crisis?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 10:52:23 »

How did the politicians cause the crisis?

That is one of the stupidest things you've ever said. Well done.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 11:00:14 »

Isn't it saying that the individuals concerned are willing to open up their homes and take in a refugee?

I've been looking around to see if that's an option.  Cant find anything
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, September 4, 2015, 11:07:49 »

That is one of the stupidest things you've ever said. Well done.

As far as I am aware the mass migration of people is due to conflict etc, how are our politicians to blame? Aren't European countries taking in refugees?
« Last Edit: Friday, September 4, 2015, 11:10:02 by 4D » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: