Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Games console for younger kids..  (Read 4659 times)
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 19:30:51 »

Ok so my little boy's mother has asked for some advice:

She is thinking of getting my boy some kind of games console (not a handheld one). He's 4 (5 in November) so things like a Wii or PS/XB is pointless... Anyone got any ideas?

She doesn't want to break the bank and it doesn't need to be anything spectacular..

Thanks for looking!

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 19:42:12 »

An iPad. All the way. Educational apps and loads of them

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 19:45:44 »

An iPad. All the way. Educational apps and loads of them

His mum has an iPad, as do I..

I just get the feeling that the vTech consoles are a little bit young for him now..

Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 19:52:03 »

My youngest is the same age, and wouldn't even think about game consoles. That's just my opinion.

The iPad does more than enough.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 19:52:46 »

My youngest is the same age, and wouldn't even think about game consoles. That's just my opinion.

The iPad does more than enough.

Ok mate, thanks  Smiley

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 08:59:09 »

I know times change and this is just my opinion and my opinion only, i think 4/5 is far too young for a console.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 09:31:51 »

PS4 with Grand Theft Auto.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 09:53:43 »

I know times change and this is just my opinion and my opinion only, i think 4/5 is far too young for a console.

When I was I suppose about 4, I had a whole load of imaginary friends....it's quite a common phenomenon at that age.

How the brain develops in a kid is an interesting thing....my older son similarly had a range of invisible chums, I'd have quite long conversations with him about them and what they were up to.

Undoubtedly too much early exposure to electronic fantasy worlds is likely to inhibit such processes in developing imagination, but who's to say short periods will. 
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 10:14:39 »

I always said that before the kids came along that I wouldn't let them use any electronic device. I never had anything and turned out alright. But sometimes it does keep them quiet...especially in restaurants or cafes.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 10:24:50 »

I never had anything and turned out alright.

Yeah... "alright".
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 18:23:41 »

Reg I love that you have children - I swear you've never mentioned this before?
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 18:46:44 »

Second hand Atari 2600. They'll be dead chuffed. Although they might get bullied by the kids with Megadrives
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 27, 2015, 00:11:51 »

When I was I suppose about 4, I had a whole load of imaginary friends....it's quite a common phenomenon at that age.

How the brain develops in a kid is an interesting thing....my older son similarly had a range of invisible chums, I'd have quite long conversations with him about them and what they were up to.

Undoubtedly too much early exposure to electronic fantasy worlds is likely to inhibit such processes in developing imagination, but who's to say short periods will. 

It's not only relatively common but there's a lot of research to suggest imaginary friends are beneficial to development.
Even more interesting is that some psychologists believe they live on until late adolescence, they just don't engage so often due to stigma. There are lots of "Ted"s out there, apparently.

Unfortunately, a lot of research into how early exposure to technology will affect children is non-existent, because the kids you'd study are quite obviously still kids... It's also hooked into a large amount of media scaremongering, Piagetian theory, and lovely but non-scientific anecdotal "in my day.." stories.

Another issue with these "findings" is that they are largely predicated on the assumption that if you let a kid play with your ipad that's the only stimulation you ever give it, which from what I know of most prevalent parent TEFers (and anyone else I'd voluntarily associate with) is clearly bollocks.

What is very convincing from research, I believe, is that creativity in particular forms best when all senses are engaged (I.e. In the real world) as opposed to what we currently experience via technology. In that case, I'd say an ipad was more than sufficient, but I'm not a parent, nor do I know what's really out there.

Disclaimer: provoking me into a discussion about psychology is like asking Reg to talk about the Tories.. I'll shut up now.

Just do the opposite of whatever Tans says.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, August 27, 2015, 05:17:55 »

Just do the opposite of whatever Tans says.

Always sound advice.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, August 27, 2015, 07:41:12 »

FWIW: Both my boys coped with a Wiii from about 5 onwards
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: