Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Port Vale Official Matchday Thread  (Read 35452 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #195 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 18:31:25 »

Turner's intense hatred of us was a marvelous thing to behold.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 18:39:51 »

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 20:03:39 »

The two things that annoyed me last night were, as you say, Boo refusing to even try and take his man on and bomb it down the wing. But this could just be a confidence thing. He just needs to do it once and he'll try it a lot more.

The other is Smith's new-found-laziness. Last season he'd chase and chase the ball when their defence had it to keep the pressure up. Or maybe even run the length of the pitch to help defend if he hadn't seen the ball for a few minutes. That seems to have gone. Smith was relatively invisible.

When you're playing up front on your own (on the basis Byrne and Robert were wide) you can't close down in the same way - you need to hold your position that much more and leave it to the others to close down.
Mplanney

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 20:58:14 »

When you're playing up front on your own (on the basis Byrne and Robert were wide) you can't close down in the same way - you need to hold your position that much more and leave it to the others to close down.

To be a little fair to a Smith, he's not a 100 percent match fit yet, did not play more than 45 mins during preseason, therefore think he was not chasing a awful lot, especially as he knew he was likely to be playing the full 90 mins
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 21:10:01 »

Frigby is spot on. He closed when it was realistic to do so but the lone role demands that he stays central and stops anyone playing straight through the middle. Also, pressing on his own would be moronic stuff, even Vale's cb could play around him.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Thursday, August 20, 2015, 13:25:07 »

I used to like Malone - it was him that denied Shrewsbury a stone wall penalty at the CG in 2012 when we beat them 2-1, the match when Graham Turner lost it afterwards.

28 seconds:

I miss Turner, he really dislikes us for some reason.

Well worth watching right to the end!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: