Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's the general consensus on taking kids out of school for holidays?  (Read 15891 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Friday, August 14, 2015, 10:16:41 »

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 09:16:54 »

Supreme Court have ruled that it is legal for parents to be fined for unauthorised absences. Who'd have thought it....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 10:06:48 »

fucking bullshit decision
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 10:56:30 »

As a parent of a grown up child I fully endorse this decision.

Ten years ago & I'm with batch Smiley
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 10:59:33 »

You have to ask the question why do parents want to take their kids out.

Most will say for a cheaper holiday. So, reduce the cost of said holidays.

A childs education comes before any holiday in my opinion.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 11:03:29 »

Depends on the situation, holiday and the age of the child.  There is too much scope for abuse
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #66 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 11:10:58 »

Until the day comes that schools start taking their training days in the holidays i will take my kids out when i want.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 12:16:52 »

My sons old school used to effectively close down for the last week, the kids could either go on holiday with their class/year, or stay behind and have activity days.

There were lots of families  that used to use that opportunity to go on holiday a week early
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 12:18:46 »

Until the day comes that schools start taking their training days in the holidays i will take my kids out when i want.
And stop announcing "Collapsed timetables" (aka teachers taking the day off to go Christmas shopping) on the last Friday before Christmas with a week's notice, and all the other times we end up having to find childcare in term time because of strikes, report days or whatever other thing it is the school have decided is, apparently, more important than the child's education they get oh so strung up about if parents dare to miss the last two days of term when they're just pissing about anyway.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 12:29:12 »

Of course it is, but as you know, missing the last week of a term in a non-important year makes fuck all difference to that.

"Just a day missed make..." is complete bollocks. My youngest sons school had an unavoidable two day closure due to a  water leak. As they aren't making it up can I sue the LEA for neglect of duty?

Luckily a tactical stomach bug can still be pulled if necessary.
----
The Mrs is a teacher, so we can't actually pull a sickie.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 12:33:50 »

You can plan a holiday, but you can't avoid a water leak.

It doesn't bother me either way, as I would never take the kids out of school.

Look at it this way. There are 180 days in a school year. 95% is the 'good' rate and shouldn't cause concern. This works out at 9 days per year. If you take 5 days off, that leaves 4 for sickness...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 12:45:21 »

You can plan a holiday, but you can't avoid a water leak.

A missed days learning is a missed days learning.

Totally agree its not the schools fault. I have no issue with what they did.

But trotting out the "miss one day and your education suffers" line is clearly either bollocks or not that significant. If it was, they'd extend the term (until the unions had a hissy fit).
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 13:08:58 »

I can completely sympathise with parents with finite budgets wanting to avoid the grotesque price hikes at half term and holidays.

The thing I struggle with is the self-righteous indignation of people like Jon Platt.  He took his child out for financial reasons and was prepared to live with the impact (however great or small) on the education of his child and the rest of that class.  That's fair enough Mr Platt, but don't try to pretend that you are on a moral crusade against state interference with parent's rights or against school inset days, you're doing it to save money.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 13:12:00 »

I did end up taking both kids out of school for a week last year for a holiday. The school didn't authorise it, but were made aware of the absence and we never got fined. We'll be doing the same again this October.

The impact on their learning? Negligible. Both have consistently good reports and are well regarded by their teachers. I like to think I'm a better judge of my children's education than some council bureaucrat who reads statistics off a screen.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #74 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 13:25:43 »

So, reduce the cost of said holidays.

Or change the term times  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: