Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's the general consensus on taking kids out of school for holidays?  (Read 15893 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 09:52:09 »

I know the legalities of it, so I'm not interested in that side of things. I'm just gathering opinions.

For example, taking a 14 night holiday that spans half-term plus one week either before or after.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 09:52:45 »

do what you like, they're your kids
corner

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 09:57:50 »

You should take the kids out, it's a crazy! Save yourself some cash
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 10:03:54 »

One week away from school isnt going to do kids any harm
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 10:13:11 »

One week away from school isnt going to do kids any harm

To avoid a fine, then you have to get the permission of the school....this is very much at the whim of the Head.  The problem for them is that Ofsted takes a great interest in attendance, so deliberate signing off of kids is going to knock this and the school could end up in special measures.  So it really all depends on the state of the school and the outlook of the head....if however the hit of the fine is less than the saving on going out of season, then many people just accept it.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 10:18:07 »

To avoid a fine, then you have to get the permission of the school....this is very much at the whim of the Head.  The problem for them is that Ofsted takes a great interest in attendance, so deliberate signing off of kids is going to knock this and the school could end up in special measures.  So it really all depends on the state of the school and the outlook of the head....if however the hit of the fine is less than the saving on going out of season, then many people just accept it.

All true.  But also worth noting that, increasingly, heads are taking a much tougher line and authorising time away only in exceptional circumstances (with exceptional circumstances being very tightly defined).
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 10:25:39 »

I know all that I was referring to the effect on a kids education.  If one week of a missed education is going to cause any serious problems with a kids learning then the parents should have bigger worries on their plate about the kid.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 10:32:42 »

I understand it's unlikely to be authorised, but we'd certainly let the school know of our intention.

We took the eldest out for a week last October and the school didn't even mention anything at that time, although she was under 5 and therefore the fine couldn't apply.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 10:41:08 »

I know all that I was referring to the effect on a kids education.  If one week of a missed education is going to cause any serious problems with a kids learning then the parents should have bigger worries on their plate about the kid.

One week not such a problem, but let's postulate that this happens every year...so Samdy has said the <5 year old has already missed a week....extrapolate that to Y11 and it equates to approx a term.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 11:10:33 »

What about teacher training days? Parents have to rearrange around those. Why don't the teachers have those during holiday times? 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 11:17:50 »

What about teacher training days? Parents have to rearrange around those. Why don't the teachers have those during holiday times? 

They sort of do, insofar as the mandatory training days were originally taken out of the school holiday allowance.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 11:30:20 »

I don't thing a week either way will hurt.

A neighbour of mine made up a false invite to a family wedding in Italy to take his kids out without paying the fine.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 11:43:43 »

I don't thing a week either way will hurt.

A neighbour of mine made up a false invite to a family wedding in Italy to take his kids out without paying the fine.

Doesn't exactly send out a great message to the kids about personal conduct and the value of education does it?
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 11:48:08 »

We've booked a 5 day stay at Disneyland Paris that includes the last 3 school days before easter half term holiday next year... the difference in price between that and the same days the following week was ridiculous!

As long as you don't take the piss, I think it's fine.

Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 12:35:39 »

Doesn't exactly send out a great message to the kids about personal conduct and the value of education does it?

I didn't say I approved just that there are ways around the unfairness
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: