Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, how are we shaping up?  (Read 32341 times)
Skinny Pete

« on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 07:56:13 »

Week to go 'til Bradford and, all in all, I think things look pretty good.

On the assumption/hope that Byrne/Kasim/Smith remain with us, the squad doesn't look, on paper, appreciably weaker than last season.

The only position I suppose is weaker is GK - based on the fact that, surely, we can't have an equal to Wes straight away.

I would expect just 1 more incoming - a CB - and we're about done.

First, kudos to Cooper who was responsible for the recruitment of Robert/Traore. So, maybe, LP isn't the 'I know best' ego freak some think.

With the players recruited I would expect us to set up 4-2-3-1 as the 4 at the back seems the new way forward for us.

Kasim and Traore in front of the back 4 with a 3 of Robert/Byrne/Scouser pulling the strings for The Beak up top.

Looking good!
DRS

« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 08:03:44 »

Good post and i would agree with you. I think we will get a centre back and a striker in still. Maybe still Ryan Kent
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 08:09:20 »

NO WE HAVEN'T SIGNED PEOPLE I HAVE HEARD OF AND EVERYTHING IS RUBBISH AND WE ARE GOING DOWN AND I DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT THIS FOOTBALL CLUB ANYMORE

Things get better but they never get good
Skinny Pete

« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 08:11:50 »

This is, of course, the alternative view!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 08:21:11 »

I would love it if we signed Kent*

How do you know Cooper was responsible for signing Traore and Robert? Not saying you're wrong.

*An opinion based solely on 7 minutes of Youtube highlights - they are damned good higlights though.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 08:30:58 »

I would love it if we signed Kent*

How do you know Cooper was responsible for signing Traore and Robert? Not saying you're wrong.

*An opinion based solely on 7 minutes of Youtube highlights - they are damned good higlights though.
Think it was ASD in one of his articles.

Mark Cooper has quite an eye for French talent having already brought Drissa Traore to the club, and it is a market that the Swindon Boss knows very, very well.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 31, 2015, 08:33:58 by Skinny Pete » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 08:36:20 »

Mid table squad imo. Need some steel and some glitter to be contenders, which i'm sure is being looked at.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 09:04:01 »

Im worried because having read the football forum, Sheff U, Doncaster, Oldham, Scunthorpe, Bury, Port Vale, Gillingham, Peterbourough, Burton, Barnsley, Walsall, Chesterfield and Wigan are all definitely better than us.  This is true because their fans have said so. Despite there having been none of the actual kicking a ball in competitive matches nonsense.

So I can only see mid table at best.

Never knowingly overstated.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 09:04:52 »

Quote from: suttonred
Mid table squad imo. Need some steel and some glitter to be contenders, which i'm sure is being looked at.
mid to lower for me, based on the limited pre season I've seen.

we are too soft and don't have the goals in us.

a few more signings could change all that.
Panda Paws

« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 09:10:56 »

we are too soft and don't have the goals in us.

Smith, Obika, Hylton... plus Byrne playing higher up the pitch, should have us good stead going forward hopefully.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 09:28:22 »

I've not been right very often with my predictions so you never know..
Skinny Pete

« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 09:31:47 »

Playing PL teams pre-season may be a reason for thinking scoring goals would be a struggle.

I'm more concerned with keeping them out!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 09:32:07 »

Mid table for me but with a few signings and one or two of our strikers hitting some form we could easily challenge for the play offs again this season.

Our defence still worries me.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 09:46:01 »

Too many unknowns for me, so no idea.  All I would add is that the Cooper/Power axis has a good record in delivering unexpected results, so that gives me some confidence.

But that comes with a caveat.  We mounted a promotion challenge last season that ran out of steam at the end of January because we had a youthful, but inexperienced squad that was well set up for 30 games, but not 50.  We are going to need more steel this season.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 10:05:02 »

But we did that last season with Ricketts. Didn't make much difference.

I still maintain the Luongo/Kasim Asia Cup did us no favours at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: