Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is Anyone Else Feeling Meh About The Forthcoming Season....  (Read 19137 times)
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #15 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 12:46:31 »

Yes, same ‘flat’ feeling here, too, but I’ll be there on 8 August and have already booked travel to two of the early away games.

It’s hard to put a finger on the reasons but the ‘non performance’ at Wembley definitely has something to do with it. It truly was dreadful.  Being stuck in the ‘Third Division (North)’ with many of the same old clubs is also a factor, as is the prospect of another season of the same uninspiring on-field tactics.  I am by no means a paid-up member of the “get it forward’ brigade but I found our one-dimensional game plan last season quite tedious and uninspiring week after week, and everything I’ve seen and read during the close season suggests were going to get more of the same next season – probably together with the same comedy defending. 

But I’m not reaching for the razor blades just yet and, maybe we’ll see a couple of inspirational new signings in the next couple of weeks which will improve everyone’s demeanour no end.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 12:52:00 »

Feel the same. To be fair I felt the same the season pre-Di Canio too.  The PDC years were a welcome relief from it all.

The only reasons I can think of is that a) its age related, b) I'm sick of league 1. c) The club is back to drifting, being left behind by those who have found money - and I fully accept STFC has absolutely no choice but the do what it is.

Oh and unpopular as it may be, d) sick of ticka-tacka flicky fanny football being proclaimed as the best thing since sliced bread - lets be honest its brilliant when it works, woeful when it doesn't-A bit of a mix would be welcome for those times. edit: Doh - Sir Pissalot just posted similar.

Thankfully my lads still seem to enjoy it, so I'm not tempted to pick and chose games. But I can see how its easy to go from ST holder -> occasional. Something I'd have branded "tinpot and not  becoming of a real fan' not so far back.

Hey ho.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 27, 2015, 12:54:14 by Batch » Logged
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 12:54:06 »

Yes, same ‘flat’ feeling here, too, but I’ll be there on 8 August and have already booked travel to two of the early away games.

It’s hard to put a finger on the reasons but the ‘non performance’ at Wembley definitely has something to do with it. It truly was dreadful.  Being stuck in the ‘Third Division (North)’ with many of the same old clubs is also a factor, as is the prospect of another season of the same uninspiring on-field tactics.  I am by no means a paid-up member of the “get it forward’ brigade but I found our one-dimensional game plan last season quite tedious and uninspiring week after week, and everything I’ve seen and read during the close season suggests were going to get more of the same next season – probably together with the same comedy defending.  

But I’m not reaching for the razor blades just yet and, maybe we’ll see a couple of inspirational new signings in the next couple of weeks which will improve everyone’s demeanour no end.

Got to say Pissy I agree with you, have not been to any of the friendlies (live in SN2) and at the moment finding it hard to get enthusiastic about the coming season, as you say felt very let down by Wembley and the amount of negativity that is around is self-defeating - and I guess I am not helping with that!!  If only we weren't told that our business would be done early and we would be investing in a couple of players which clearly has not happened!!  We have still got our four ST but not sure if I am going to be there on the 8th, only because I have to be in Solihull at 9-30 am, on that day - still hoping to be away by 1-30 for a quick dash down the M5 to take my seat though!
Skinny Pete

« Reply #18 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 12:58:27 »

Hope I don't bump into any of you wet blankets in the pub on the 8th.

I'll know who you are. Just keep a look out for anyone who looks like I've just pissed in your pint.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 13:09:48 »

I'm not. But I've got tifos to organise! It's giving me another channel of excitement.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 14:17:45 »

I'm quite looking forward to it. Not necessarily expecting to see us do anything dramatic in the League, just looking forward to watching us play good football. Which I think we will. And I've enjoyed the pre-season games as well. So there.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 14:31:20 »

Freshly boiled is lovely up at Bury Market, my sister in law until recently lived just outside Bury so I was a regular visitor, the 2 best ones are actually the low fat "diet" black pudding and the one with chilli in...yummy in a roll (barm).

I've tried a chilli pudding from the Bury Company.....not bad, but like fruit in cheese, flavours in cider/vodka etc.....it's marketing and not needed.

I fully expect gates to be significantly down this season, as we very much get back down to the hardcore fan.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 14:36:36 »

I'm up for it.  Football is a day out with your family and/or mates.  There will still be a team to cheer on and, last I heard, the Glue Pot is still standing.

Don't think the Autumn chill mentioned by Reg is quite here yet - not permanently, anyway - but I'll be more than happy when it is.  I miss football.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 14:46:42 »

I'm up for it.  Football is a day out with your family and/or mates.  There will still be a team to cheer on and, last I heard, the Glue Pot is still standing.

This to the power of 5000.

I worked out recently, that for the past decade I've been to roughly the same amount of home and away games each season, regardless of what division we are in and how we are faring in said division.

Obviously, I'll be delighted if we storm league 1 and proclaim what I believe (though statistics do not back up)to be our birthright, a place in the second tier.

But whatever happens I'm looking forward to getting to games, and getting to the Gluey.

See you in there on the 8th I hope Mr Ardiles.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 27, 2015, 17:29:04 by PetsWinPrizes » Logged
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #24 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 16:43:13 »

I'm up for it.  Football is a day out with your family and/or mates.

This. Can't fucking wait to get back on the piss with my boys.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 17:21:04 »

Wembley was a disaster and a terrible way to finish a fantastic season.
Dared not to dream of the Championship, as typically With Swindon it always ends in tears.

Still feel wounded, have not watched any football since.
Have renewed all the season tickets but not excited. Keep thinking of the miles, same Div 1 grounds but look forward catching up with the lads.

Hoping come Bradford some excitement will kick in and we have a team that surprises the league and are in the mix again.
woolster

« Reply #26 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 18:12:24 »

was really looking forward to getting the away top on the 24th but just couldn't be bothered
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 18:22:38 »

I can't wait for the season to start, no idea how we will do but that's half the excitement! Some decent away games to look forward too and nothing beats watching live football on a saturday or a night under the floodlights at the cg having a few beers with mates/family.

Supporting swindon is never easy but id much rather have that than some boring midtable l1 side that never does anything good/bad.

Hurrry up bradford game!!

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 18:24:08 »

I enjoy the day out, train to Swindon, lunch and a few beers with my dad etc. If we win, great, if we lose, well I'll survive.

Bit meh about the season, have a feeling we'll finish 15th.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 18:25:12 »

Also given my calendar this year I'll probably be going to more pre-season games than actual proper fixtures!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: