Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help Required: Info on past squad member circa '93-'94  (Read 16367 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:25:18 »

can't imagine Vinny Jones playing in a reserve match either
Thats fairly believable TBH the Combination used to have many internationals playing in it, I have seen Hoddle, Ardiles, Brooking, Woodcock, Mariner, Seaman, Winterburn, Dixon, Adams, Archibald, Villa, Shilton all play in the reserves against us at the County Ground.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:30:49 »

You'd get first-teamers paying in the reserves when coming back from injury.
Flashheart

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:34:18 »

I think I remember once that once Wolves got a full house (or pretty full) for a reserve game that Steve Bull played in when coming back from a long injury.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:34:46 »

This is hilariously mental! If he is lying then I think he has a few issues!
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:58:33 »

There is no date on that team sheet, but as the next game is Monday 25th, if you assume this game was played the week before, then Hammond, Fenwick, Kilcline, Sanchez & McAvennie were all playing on Saturday 16th so unlikely to have played for the reserves that week/weekend too.

Having said that, maybe it explains why they were so shit if they were playing for the first team & the reserves !
Celtic_Fan_Man

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:00:46 »

When you say "combination", what do you mean?

The guy is a weirdo, for as long as I've known him he's come out with outlandish claims but you can never really prove that he's making it up. He goes on my supporters bus and myself and another lad can see through his bullshit but strangely there are people who lap it up.

I noticed Graham Poll was the ref in the 1st team fixture that season and also thought it would be strange for him to be involved in the reserve match.

What I need is someone who collects programs to see if they can verify that team lineup. Knowing some of our fans go to every game, I assume every team has at least one fanatic Soapy Tit Wank
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:02:07 »

Know for a fact at the parents house I have the Leeds Utd home program to hand....as it was the last game of the season it will have a full list of the reserves fixtures for that season....so can have a look.

Will at least be able to see if there was a fixture against Wimbledon and/or Sheffield Wednesday as stated here.

Does seem an awful lot of first teamers (including the ref) for a reserve game!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:04:58 »

When you say "combination", what do you mean?
The Southern Reserve league was called the Football Combination back then.

I noticed Graham Poll was the ref in the 1st team fixture that season and also thought it would be strange for him to be involved in the reserve match.
Top referees did often ref reserve matches back then but more often than not it was a local (30 miles radius) based ref.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:22:12 »

I can't see the supposed date of the game.  But once you have it, there will very likely be a match report in the match programme for the following home game.  Plenty on here will have copies of programmes from that season still.  I know I do.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:37:02 »

That is not a first team game.

It's also unlikely to be a reserve game, unless there was a reason that Wimbledon appear to be playing their first choice (or bloody close to it) eleven in it. 

A bizarre wind up, methinks...

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:59:39 »

I've dug out my programmes for that season, the Combination match against Wimbledon was at home on Thu 7th October 1993 and ended 1-1. There isn't a report on that match in any programme, just reports on the combination matches before and after that one.

The Wimbledon away one was on Wed 27th April which we lost 3-1.

We also played them in the South East Counties league but obviously not that either due to the age of the players he's listed, he's definately making it all up.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 16:00:49 »

Thats dedication to make all that stuff!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 16:01:50 »

My contribution to this thread:

The Wimbledon number 5, Neil Fairbairn. It seems odd that Wimbledon would have three outfield players on the bench yet name a goalkeeper in defence.

What do I know? They were the 'Crazy Gang' after all.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 16:17:55 »

This is great, can you somehow hidden camera your interrogation of him? We've got plenty of dashcam experts if you need advice.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 16:19:59 »

Know for a fact at the parents house I have the Leeds Utd home program to hand....as it was the last game of the season it will have a full list of the reserves fixtures for that season....so can have a look.

Will at least be able to see if there was a fixture against Wimbledon and/or Sheffield Wednesday as stated here.

Does seem an awful lot of first teamers (including the ref) for a reserve game!

Do you have all your progs for each season in one of those nice STFC binders, where you hang them off strings?.....proper smart. Take up a bit of space after a few years, mind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: