Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Press restrictions.  (Read 107666 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Tuesday, August 4, 2015, 22:30:57 »

What has this "press ban" done? If something is worth reporting it will get reported. Are there adver interviews with cooper? Yes. Are there adver player interviews? Yes. Are there loads of other swindon related adver stories? Yes. Match day Twitter feeds? Yes. Full match commentary? Yes. There's even phone ins with the chairman this week! And something they said they will do regularly.

I don't know what more you want from media outlets which is why I'm putting this down to lack of football season.

I think that's quite a short-term view, based on the quiet news season. Let's see how this plays out over several months. Press starts to do more critical or investigative stuff on the club. Reports more off-the-record insider sources, doesn't get behind club initiatives (if the club has time/interest for such things), becomes openly critical of the manager and/or chairman if results start to wobble, that sort of thing.

Might actually make for a better read for the fan - I mean who actually wades through match previews or player interviews anyway? - but can't see how any of it helps the club. And it's not as if the club's putting any resource into their new media strategy. Still one increasingly put-upon press officer who now has to single-handedly whip up a frenzy of enthusiasm as well as producing all the programmes and existing comms, match day ents and passes etc etc. Good luck with that Tom.

It's not like we're already turning people away at the gates is it?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Tuesday, August 4, 2015, 22:55:48 »

A lot of theory in the above and I don't see how this will ban will effect attendances which you have implied. Results breed success not the adver attending a press conference. The bbc will still be in attendance and the adver will still get their stories. No one can provide evidence of the detrimental effect it is having. Let's see how it goes when the season starts
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 06:22:31 »

There's no point burying your heads in the sand - the press are th conduit allowing the fans to keep the football club to account. Limiting what 'independent' press can do will of course have an effect, how great is yet to be seen

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 06:38:03 »

There's no point burying your heads in the sand - the press are th conduit allowing the fans to keep the football club to account. Limiting what 'independent' press can do will of course have an effect, how great is yet to be seen

Complete bollox....the local journo has always had his hand firmly up the arse of the club, in a cosy relationship.  If anything Power's ending of this makes it more likely that the local journo can now act as your conduit to hold the club to acount.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 07:13:04 »

A lot of theory in the above and I don't see how this will ban will effect attendances which you have implied. Results breed success not the adver attending a press conference. The bbc will still be in attendance and the adver will still get their stories. No one can provide evidence of the detrimental effect it is having. Let's see how it goes when the season starts

Yes, it's my theory that you will notice some differences with a press that owes the club nothing. And if you think results are the only factor affecting attendances, then I presume that you have little or no experience in sales or marketing. In fact, it's when results are poor that you need the most aggressive promotions.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 07:16:06 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 07:34:06 »

Yes, it's my theory that you will notice some differences with a press that owes the club nothing. And if you think results are the only factor affecting attendances, then I presume that you have little or no experience in sales or marketing. In fact, it's when results are poor that you need the most aggressive promotions.

Of course results aren't the only factor, but the product of the local hack is certainly so far off the radar, as to be irrelevant.

Clive King was the Adver man from 1970 when we averaged about 20,000 to the mid 80's when we averaged about 3,000.

CK's ouevre was consistently supportive of the club through this time, yet we still managed to lose something like 17,000 fans down the back of the sofa. 
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 08:18:36 »

Of course results aren't the only factor, but the product of the local hack is certainly so far off the radar, as to be irrelevant.

Clive King was the Adver man from 1970 when we averaged about 20,000 to the mid 80's when we averaged about 3,000.

CK's ouevre was consistently supportive of the club through this time, yet we still managed to lose something like 17,000 fans down the back of the sofa. 

Feels a bit like you're arguing the toss here Reg. I'm not sure how 30 years" history of sport and society can teach us much here, except perhaps the rather naive point that a compliant press is not enough to build a club"s fortunes. Tell me about a small-time club who's already implemented a similar strategy with success and I'm listening.

I found it genuinely intriguing that even in the heartland of sporting capitalism, the NYT thought our tiny club's brave initiative worth an entire feature article. Fanzai et al will have to be very good indeed to communicate better than an even mildly negative press.

Skinny Pete

« Reply #352 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 08:26:24 »

Football is a business, like any other, and I can't imagine any other business that actively seeks less, free exposure.

It smacks of a business taking its customers for granted - 'they'll turn up whatever we do'.

I can see no financial benefit to the club whatsoever. Looks a bit like someone just trying to make a point.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 08:27:48 »

Feels a bit like you're arguing the toss here Reg. I'm not sure how 30 years" history of sport and society can teach us much here, except perhaps the rather naive point that a compliant press is not enough to build a club"s fortunes. Tell me about a small-time club who's already implemented a similar strategy with success and I'm listening.

I found it genuinely intriguing that even in the heartland of sporting capitalism, the NYT thought our tiny club's brave initiative worth an entire feature article. Fanzai et al will have to be very good indeed to communicate better than an even mildly negative press.

It's not really a ban though is it....rather a change in arrangements, which has put some cub reporters noses out of joint.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 08:38:28 »

It's not really a ban though is it....rather a change in arrangements, which has put some cub reporters noses out of joint.

We'll see Reg, we'll see. And it's not just those cub reporters you regularly patronise. As we've seen, the press close ranks on this sort of thing, and I think Power's putting his fragile ego ahead of the club's interests, and all on some pretty feeble perceived slights.

Gladys Skinny Pete puts it very well above.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 08:42:19 by Red Frog » Logged

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 08:44:51 »

We'll see Reg, we'll see. And it's not just those cub reporters you regularly patronise. As we've seen, the press close ranks on this sort of thing, and I think Power's putting his fragile ego ahead of the club's interests, and all on some pretty feeble perceived slights.

Hilda Skinny Pete puts it very well above.

I don't think he does....a football club isn't like any other business, if the Adver went to Tescos and expected to get access to staff, on a weekly basis, they'd soon be told to fuck off or get charged for the privilege.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 08:47:01 »

I don't think he does....a football club isn't like any other business, if the Adver went to Tescos and expected to get access to staff, on a weekly basis, they'd soon be told to fuck off or get charged for the privilege.

OK Reg. I guess I prefer to compare STFC with other football clubs.

Panda Paws

« Reply #357 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 09:23:02 »

Back to the 'press ban' (can we stop calling it that? It's not a press ban. The club have chosen to exclude certain media companies and we're not the first) - I do disagree with it from a consumer/fan point of view but find the mass media coverage around what is in essence the PR strategy of a small business utterly baffling.

I've had accreditation requests, media requests and general media involvement with organisations, teams, individuals etc shut down, pulled or completely ignored many times over the years - it's the prerogative of said individuals, organisations or clubs unless dictated by the governing body.

Why do people expect to be able to hold the club to account, over what is in essence a very small part of it's business strategy, as if it's some charitable trust or government department. It's a small business. We're customers. Emotionally attached (or deranged) ones, but customers none the less.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 09:32:17 »

I understand that some are concerned with the 'Bigger Picture' and that any perceived form of censorship is unpalatable to a lot of people, but let's look at this from a logical perspective. Using the Adver as an example, what have they actually lost and how does this effect their reporting?
Prior to 'The Ban', readers were supplied with what? In the main it was the post match interview on the BBC, cut up and spread out over the week. Other stories concerning the club weren't sourced from the club directly anyway. The Adver can still hold the club to account, without having items spoon fed to them; isn't that what investigative journalism is all about?

I'm not saying I agree with the Club's stance, but I fail to see how it will hugely impact the coverage local media provide.

It's All Good..............
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 09:40:00 »

According to Sam the "change in arrangements" may well be on Channel 4 news, they have been talking to the Adver!!!  Bit of a hole being dug all round i fear!!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: